11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 AM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
Find a good game that's fun to watch (GTA 4 and Burnout come to mind right off the bat), and treat it like a spectator sport.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Zelu is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexin View Post
listen what u do get her to play games with you splitscreen works the best my girl liked playing halo with me so much that we got part 2 then we moved to halo3..."

"...she loves games i dont like playing it's all about leting her grow as a gamer kinda like your parent or whoever let you grow as a gamer when you were growing up
Yeah, so far on Halo we're halfway through Truth an Reconciliation. On normal of course so it's not overwhelming for her. But we'll move up to Heroic for Halo 2 then Legendary for Halo 3. Co-op FTW!!!

Yeah I'm putting her through different genre's so she can decide for herself what she likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAerosolCan View Post
How old are you? If you're in high school or lower, just find a different girlfriend that already know how to play games. If you're older, well, I don't have experience with that. I only know about wife aggro
I'm a freshmen in College and she's a Senior in High School.

Well I would have grabbed the gamer chicks but they're all taken!!!! lol No seriously I enjoy the bonding we do when we play games together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneek View Post
Games my girlfriend likes:

The sims
World of Warcraft
Anything with colored shapes: Bejeweled etc
Heh I let her play Spore the other day, and omg. I don't remember anyone having so much fun on a videogame.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 AM

Hmm, I remember having more quotes/repliess in that. Anyone know what the limit is for quotes or the max length a post can be?

Anyways brb with an edit with the rest of those quotes/replies...

~Edit-Okay went back and re-replied to all these. Much differently worded because I couldn't remember exactly what I wrote but got close enough. So if any of you aren't following what I post I'll look at it and change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
I think you'll have the best luck by letting her play games that she likes, not games that you like. If she's a total game noob Halo, RTS's and maybe even RPGs might not be the best way to get her hooked. You might try games like Rock Band and other fun games that you can easily get into and just plain have fun.

Go into it gradually imo, don't just throw in the deep end with Halo and Oblivion
Well my argument for that is, for example. If you were to suddenly have all of your past gaming experience's wiped from your mind and start off as a complete "noob" (honestly a word I dislike I just used it because that's what she called herself). What would you want your first gaming experience to be? An okay game? Pretty good one? Or an AWESOME game?

Halo for instance is among the best FPS's out there, with a great story to go along with it (co-op doesn't hurt either). Oblivion is a great example of what an RPG should be imho. An open world with no restrictions on what you can do (hence the mountain of questions). As for Settler's it's a very simple RTS as far as resource-management and the AI doesn't go "WTFPWN!!!" every other moment.

Well anyways, my point is I don't want her first experience's to be with alright or mediocre games. I want her to play great games that many gamers have played so when me and my buddies sit around talking about them she'll know what we're talking about and join in on the conversation, as opposed to feeling left out.

In my mind Good games-make for a good experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Postal 2 is the way to go IMO.
Never heard of it, worth checking out though. Thanks.
Last edited by Zelu : 09-30-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAerosolCan View Post
How old are you? If you're in high school or lower, just find a different girlfriend that already know how to play games. If you're older, well, I don't have experience with that. I only know about wife aggro
Lol, cookies for that.

I started writing a reply to this, but I apparently had more to say than I thought. Ended up posting it up as an experience instead, click here if you want to read it! For the record, I got into gaming before I met my man, but only by about one month - he pretty much took over my gaming education when we met, so the suggestions I posted are directly drawn from what I learned from each game that he suggested I play, and the rough order in which I played them.

Hope it helps!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM

Wow that was actually really helpful. Heh, thanks! I'll be sure to run her through some of those games.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Glad to be of service! Like I said, just keep in mind that they're all PC games, with a definite bent towards RPG first and FPS second (and everything else third), and she might have a completely different preference.

Let us know when she signs up here (yes, when, not if!).
Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

sororitygirl is community member of note
I think most girls (myself included) like games where you can collect things, customize things, and in general 'design' your characters. Most of these games will have an addictive element too, so maybe if it snags her interest she'll get into the gameplay more for the more intense games.

The ultimate examples I can think of are SIMS, Spore, and even Guild Wars - all of the 'prestige' armor you get for bragging rights are just prettier versions of the same cheap noob armor. And I know girls that farm for hours just to make their smokin little fireball-spitting chars look omg-super-cute.

I think honestly you'd do well with anything where the learning curve is very easy to handle. If she can pick it up, figure it out and feel good at it, she will feel good about herself and be happy to beat the game with you and spend time with you.

Also - the more multiplayer is probably the better. Most girls are pretty social and videogames get a stigma from the MMO addicts that never leave their rooms, and have no hope in a social setting. Introduce her to other people that play, let her listen to your voice chat when you're playing with a team, and show her how people are working together. Again - I'm a girl, this is one of my favorite things about many games - I think it is an attraction to many people.

And for the record - just take a step back - girls are not THAT much different than you =) Think about REALLY why do you like these games so much? If you can show her what's so great about them in your opinion, I'm sure she'll like you enough to think - well, my boy is pretty smart.. - and give em a second chance =)

Good luck
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence
The Sims is a good way to get girls into gaming, I guess. My sister loves it, and she'd never touched a computer game prior to that one. Personally, I've always played games, and The Sims irritates me. Then again, the hubby and I played modem to modem Diablo as a way of communicating long distance while I was in college when we were dating, so I'm weird.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 AM

cdznutz has much to be proud of
My wife plays with me on Halo 3 and mostly arcade games. She loves Earth Defense Force 2017, she calls it "spiders" lol
Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 AM

jayhogan18 has much to be proud of
I ran my own "experiment" on this cause I felt like my girlfriend was just blanking me whenever I mentioned anything to do with games.

So I started playing when she was around and casually offering her the controller so she could play, best if you say something like "I need to go take a shower, take over for me?".

From there we played through Resistance in co-op which she liked for the fact that we were both fighting next to each other. Then I rolled out COD4 and am currently getting her to a competent skill level on multiplayer.

Whether she GENUINELY likes these games or is merely humoring me I dont yet know...