11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

View Poll Results: Prefer playing retro game on?
Original Console 25 73.53%
Next Gen Console 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2008, 02:35 PM

kingrich06 has much to be proud of
Post Original Vs Download
Do you prefer playing a retro game on the console it was originally released on or downloading through marketplaces and playing it on you next gen system. Example Bionic Commando, Super Mario World.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM

kingrich06 has much to be proud of
I prefer Original. Playing the game with the older controllers brings back some history for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
I went with older machine, despite the fact that I've ceased using my old 8-Bit NES and play on a GenNEX (and contrary to some piss reviews going around, mine has been working pretty solid.)

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM

SkyMonkey has much to be proud of
I'll second the controller remark, I usually prefer the originals, but with emulation so perfect these days they're really the only difference. One of my crazy dreams is building some huge "everything-in USB-out" controller adaptor and finding original controllers for all of my favourite systems...

Of course that's Original "When available", which is not so often, really, so most of it is actually on recent systems/emus/etc at the end of the day.

So yeah, Original for me now just for the purity of it all, prefer it for sure even though it's a tiny minority of the actual gaming I do.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
I said original console, but I've probably played more using an emulator and a USB gamepad.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
I still keep a Commodore64 on my desk, so I guess I'll have to check off original!

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community
neither. I don't usually play old games even ones I really liked. I guess seeing the really old graphics compared to newer stuff just makes them seem really outdated.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Enthusiast

ScribbleN is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to ScribbleN Send a message via AIM to ScribbleN Send a message via MSN to ScribbleN Send a message via Yahoo to ScribbleN Send a message via Skype™ to ScribbleN
Mostly I just love the games, however they come. What it really comes down to is the controller you're using to play them, I guess. And for that and that alone I voted for original.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
I spent around 50-60 bucks on Final Fantasy III/VI for the SNES, a game which I have beaten many times in emulation before I ever even had the money to get myself an SNES (I grew up with a Genesis). So, I definately prefer the originals for the retro feel, and also for having a hard copy for posterity.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I can't really choose between the two.

First of all some games are remade, like the original Prince of Persia and such as, and those can be a big improvement, almost feeling "necessary" in a way, requiring a modern console of course.
Pet peeve: Current consoles are no longer next gen consoles; none have been announced (not big ones anyway).

I like playing old games on the original console, since they're exactly the experience you had before, at least technically.
I like playing old games on a modern console, since they (can) feel exactly like the original version, yet sometimes have a few extra features adding that extra bit of cool.