11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

kanashi is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to kanashi Send a message via MSN to kanashi Send a message via Yahoo to kanashi
4d6 take top 3
This is nothing special, just something funny we found out. You have a better chance of winning the lottery in America than you do rolling strait 18's.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Ut oes, don't let my DM know those odds >.>

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Wow, I never thought about that. Interesting!

I'm trying to remember the last time I played with people who actually used honest 3d6 stat rolls with no boosting or cheating of any kind. And I think it's "never".

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Emcew is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Emcew Send a message via MSN to Emcew Send a message via Yahoo to Emcew
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post

I'm trying to remember the last time I played with people who actually used honest 3d6 stat rolls with no boosting or cheating of any kind. And I think it's "never".
And then you get GMs like one I used to know who let anyone reroll 1s for their 4k3 d6. It made them WAY too overpowered. Thankfully he was a horrible DM and was publicly lynched and his broken remains cast aside for future generations to learn from.

... well maybe not really, but I left the group and all is well now.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast

Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post

It's more fun to not cheat really. It gives you something to roleplay if you have weak points.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
For the most fun, 3d6, keep the roll, order of roll = order of stats.

Nothing like having a wisdom of 18 and an Intelligence of 5.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kanashi Send a message via MSN to kanashi Send a message via Yahoo to kanashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkenfairy View Post
It's more fun to not cheat really. It gives you something to roleplay if you have weak points.
You actually need a group that can Roleplay. So far I play with people that meta game so much, I can't find anyone worthy enough to have fun playing with.

I honestly have tried pointing it out to them and correcting them, but it never seems to help.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Re: Rev's post

Heh! My husband made his half-orc fighter that way, as I recall (2nd edition D&D). He was named Runt. He had a 17-18 strength...and a 5 Int and Wis. My husband decided he was lawful good, though, because "he was too stupid to be anything else." He had been raised by his human mother and, by golly, you listened to what your mommy told you and you did what she said!

Runt was a source of vast amusement for everyone involved. In one campaign, I gave him a hat that let him speak with birds. He spent a great deal of the campaign climbing onto buildings to talk to pigeons. Pigeons, unsurprisingly, are not the best conversationalists. Then again, neither was Runt...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arislyn View Post
Re: Rev's post

Heh! My husband made his half-orc fighter that way, as I recall (2nd edition D&D). He was named Runt. He had a 17-18 strength...and a 5 Int and Wis. My husband decided he was lawful good, though, because "he was too stupid to be anything else." He had been raised by his human mother and, by golly, you listened to what your mommy told you and you did what she said!

Runt was a source of vast amusement for everyone involved. In one campaign, I gave him a hat that let him speak with birds. He spent a great deal of the campaign climbing onto buildings to talk to pigeons. Pigeons, unsurprisingly, are not the best conversationalists. Then again, neither was Runt...
I need more people like that.

A good example of the people I play with are as follows (I was DMing this instance);

Player A: What is that?
DM: A Tub filled with a clear liquid.
Player A: Is it Water?
DM: Is it?
Player A: I drop my dagger into it.
DM: It drops to the bottom like it would in a liquid.
Player A: Hey Player B, your an alchemist, is this Acid?
Player B: Rolls, *wisper* is it?
DM: *Wisper* Player B your alchemy tells you it is water.
Player B: That is Acid! Don't touch it!
Player A: *Out of game* if I find out that it is not Acid I'm going to kill your character.

I either DM for or play with a bunch of people that can't roleplay with what is given to them, and if something effects their character negativley they get pissed off.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM

vortel64 is a jewel in the community
I have *never* cheated on my stat rolls for characters.
*Uncrosses fingers*
But seriously, we tend to use point buy in our campaigns these days, with some restrictions, like you have to have at least one stat with a negative mod, you can't boost above a 17, etc. It gives you flexibility with your character while still allowing you to set up good roleplaying encounters. I.E. you want two really high stats? Alright, you are going to have 4 really low stats. Make your backstory support it.

We have also gamed where you wrote your backstory, and based upon that, the GM assigned you your stat points. We had one guy who had to learn that he couldn't write a backstory that enabled him to (in his mind) have all 16's in his stats. *rolls eyes*
There's one in every group.