11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 09-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community
Duke Nukem 3D now on Xbox Live
Is anyone planning on getting this? I loved the game back in the day, but I think I will pass. Simply because I don't want to ruin my memories of this game by playing it now and seeing how badly it sucks. But for those wondering about it, here is the game info. Its on Xbox Live as of today. Enjoy.

Duke Nukem, the politically incorrect action hero and ultimate alien ass kicker, defends Earth and its babes from alien invasion in Duke Nukem 3D. This is the award winning game that helped define the FPS genre, introducing unparalleled interactivity, and a main character that spoke. Take the fight to the aliens across 39 levels featuring Hollywood, Los Angeles, a moon base, and alien spacecraft. Innovative items like the Jetpack, HoloDuke, Shrink Ray, or Pipe Bombs allow you to fight the aliens in any style you want. Defeat the aliens, so Duke can get back to some R&R with a stogie, a warm belly, and a bottle of Jack.

Eight-player cooperative and DukeMatch multiplayer: Play ranked matches in one-on-one or free-for-all for leaderboard spots. A playlist of levels keeps the game fresh, with levels rotating on and off the list. Play co-op with your friends, earning single player achievements or completing the game entirely. It's your choice how to play. By reserving private slots you can play with your friends or with strangers in any combination. Invite away.
User clips: Every time you play a game, a user clip is recorded. View the clips any time in your theater or share with friends who own the game. Upload the clips to leaderboard spots if you complete a level in the fastest time, or if you have the highest score. Use these clips for tips on how to complete a level at speed.
Painless death: Review your play from the start of the level right up until your death, and jump back in at any point. Go back 10 seconds or 10 minutes, the choice is up to you. You can still save and load your game at any point if you prefer.
Gallery: Unlock achievements and Duke Nukem 3D concept art. Visit the Gallery at any time, view never before seen art, and learn more about the game.
Xbox 360 enhancements: The inimitable Duke Nukem returns in updated and improved form on Xbox 360®. The game now features controller vibration, bilinear filtering, motion blur, Xbox LIVE® Vision camera support for DukeMatch, multiplayer, and more.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM

Klister has set foot on a distinguished road
Actually, I played Duke Nukem 2 a long time ago.. like 1998 or something... and I thought it sucked... But I never have had the chance to try to 3D version, though I doubt I'd enjoy it much if I would try it now. I remember playing the first Wolfenstein again after years.. and man did it destroy my good memories!!!

sigh..

Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Klister, Duke Nukem 3D doesn't really have anything to do with the earlier platform games, other than the main character and some themes you might recognize (like enemies that latch onto your head, Atomic Health powerups, little things).
If you thought DN or DN2 sucked (I disagree), you shouldn't let that influence your thoughts on DN3D.

As I wrote in my first gDNA Experience, I thought DN3D was close to the perfect game, or at least "Doom clone" at the time.
I haven't had a chance to buy it on XBLA yet, but I definitely will.
I'm a big fan, but trying to see past that, I still think I can say it held up pretty well over the years.
(Being a fan back then could mean your present day opinion could go either way of course.)
Just try the demo, or if you're still scared it will suck and your memories will be ruined, read some of the reviews about it.
Well, do whatever you want obviously, but I wanted to add my two pence worth anyway.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
I may get it, just for the humour factory, and the fact you could go into a strip bar, pay the strippers to "shake it" and them accidentally blow up the entire room and turn the strippers into alien hunters.

Class.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
I think I will stick with my old copy for now, thx anyway
Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Klister has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
Klister, Duke Nukem 3D doesn't really have anything to do with the earlier platform games, other than the main character and some themes you might recognize (like enemies that latch onto your head, Atomic Health powerups, little things).
If you thought DN or DN2 sucked (I disagree), you shouldn't let that influence your thoughts on DN3D.

Just try the demo, or if you're still scared it will suck and your memories will be ruined, read some of the reviews about it.
Well, do whatever you want obviously, but I wanted to add my two pence worth anyway.
I think the main reason I didn't like DN2 might have something to do with the game already being like 5 years old, so I was used to better graphics... so I didn't play it that much. You do have a point about DN3D, I might try the demo, though I'm pretty sure I'll most likely spend my MSpoints on some other arcade

Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Dark-Crenshaw has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
I may get it, just for the humour factory, and the fact you could go into a strip bar, pay the strippers to "shake it" and them accidentally blow up the entire room and turn the strippers into alien hunters.
Class.
hehehe Ah yes, good times!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM

trumpcard21 has much to be proud of
In my opinion...
Back in the day, I played through Duke3D, the expansion, and many user-created maps. I couldn't get enough of it. I haven't bought the arcade version yet because I've been playing other games, but I did make enough time to play through the demo. In seconds I was back into the swing of things and unlocking secrets.

I'm not about to say that it still stands up compared to hits like Halo 3, but there's something to be said for nostalgia. If you have fond memories of playing the original, you might want to pick this up. If you expect something new or something that begins to compete with contemporary games, you will be disappointed.

Personally, I'd pick it up if I didn't already have tons of games in the next few weeks which are demanding my attention.