11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

View Poll Results: What was your favorite part of Spore?
Cell Stage 1 5.56%
Create Stage 3 16.67%
Tribal Stage 2 11.11%
Civilization Stage 0 0%
Space Stage 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
I see your point, Imran, but I have to disagree. You see, you can always see a movie in a different theater, so it truly isn't part of the review process. However, you can't play Spore (legally) without the DRM. The two are so interconnected that they can't be separated. It would be like only being able to see Movie A in Theater 1...ever. Thus, Theater 1 is part of the experience.

I completely understand where you are coming from, though. The DRM isn't part of the game mechanics so, should it really be considered? Yes and no.

If you are only reviewing the mechanics, then no, it shouldn't be included. However, if you are reviewing the product as a whole, then it should be. As I stated earlier, you can't play the game without dealing with the DRM, so it is something that needs to be considered before making a purchase decision.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community
It seems like you should review them as separate items. Give your opinion of the game whatever it might be then say how bad the DRM stuff is. Don't just say I gave it 1 star, say I give it 4 stars but reduce it to 1 because of the DRM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarrow View Post
It seems like you should review them as separate items. Give your opinion of the game whatever it might be then say how bad the DRM stuff is. Don't just say I gave it 1 star, say I give it 4 stars but reduce it to 1 because of the DRM.
It seems like a generous percentage of the people are doing exactly that in the Amazon reviews.

I read through the first few hundred reviews (earliest first). Well, I skimmed a lot, because I already know SecuROM sucks and will not be buying the product, but I was interested to see how people who played the game felt about it. Based on those reactions, it looks like the game is somewhere between a 3 (if you like complexity) and a 5 (if you bought it for your kids), with most people saying it's a 3 or 4 depending on how disappointed they were. (Can you say expectations mismanagement?)

I'm not sure whether the game deserves a 1 for the DRM...maybe a 1.5. But do you round up or down?

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 09-20-2008, 08:19 PM

RonanP has much to be proud of
I have a question. If you want can you backtrack through stages?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran View Post
I don't know if that's the best way to do it, though. Just food for thought here, but wouldn't that kind of being like reviewing a movie with the theater you watched it in being part of the criteria?
You must live in an area with only one movie theater then.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Finally got to try it. It's a fun thing to play while you're downloading a WoW patch or two, that's for sure. It's repetitive though, and the "endgame" is somewhat lame, although better than the other stages. That's not a problem if you only spend an hour or two per week on the game though.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:56 PM

SkyMonkey has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Finally got to try it. It's a fun thing to play while you're downloading a WoW patch or two, that's for sure. It's repetitive though, and the "endgame" is somewhat lame, although better than the other stages. That's not a problem if you only spend an hour or two per week on the game though.
It will be after 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM

thatgirlhatesyou is a jewel in the community
I absolutely love spore. I don't have it at the moment but I was watching my friends play through the beginning to the tribal stage. Gods I want it.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

DODswe4 is a jewel in the community DODswe4 is a jewel in the community
I have played this game, Sadly it only took me 1day to come to space age. 1day more and I have gained the highest "rank" in the game. I mostly only have the achievements to go after now. Will most likely get them and kill of any remaining resistances
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 AM

Gingerkid1337 has much to be proud of
I've played it to the Space phase. But I refuse to play it anymore until I can get a computer that can run the Space Phase for more then 20 minutes.