11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 AM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
Crysis: Warhead
Come on! Where's the thread on Crysis Warhead?

I don't know about you guys, but I am really looking forward to unlocking this on Steam and getting some time back on "the island". I loved the first Crysis (yeah, linear end-sequence and all), and from what I've been reading about Warhead this game is even more up my alley.

Here's a review from a trusted source, 1UP.com :

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3169962

Plus, they optimized the graphics, so it will look even better on my PC.

Forget Warhammer!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community
They also made it more computer friendly so people with lower specs can still play the game. Looks good to me.

Does anyone know if the Steam released version will have the SecuROM DRM or is the Steam protocol enough security?
Last edited by tommarrow : 09-17-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarrow View Post
They also made it more computer friendly so people with lower specs can still play the game. Looks good to me.

Does anyone know if the Steam released version will have the SecuROM DRM or is the Steam protocol enough security?
I believe the Steam version only has the Steam DRM on it.

Want to play some multiplayer tommarrow?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarrow View Post
They also made it more computer friendly so people with lower specs can still play the game.
Really? Digit bought Warhead the other day and so far all I've heard from him is that it looks great - in the minute spaces between crashes. Seems he's not the only one either, forums have been buzzing over Warhead's instability over a whole array of different systems. He's had to scour the net for all sorts of tweaks to make it behave, and it's still freaking out on occasion.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM

SkyMonkey has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran View Post
Plus, they optimized the graphics, so it will look even better on my PC.
I'd hope so.

Whilst I played Crysis all the way through and it was enjoyable enough, I didn't get everyone screaming about how "It's the best game ever because of the graphics, not the game!" and the "Oh, it cripples my PC so I upgraded, but look how pretty it is!" everyone was bandying about...

The game itself was OK but as some complained felt like more of a tech demo than a game in places. (Though personally I didn't mind it, it certainly wasn't any more shallow than any other FPS)

The system requirements and "crazy advancements" though?

That, I never got. Yes, it looks good (And I have more than enough PC behind it, it looks as good as it will on anything), but really, the whole time I was left with the feeling that the crazy system requirements were far more to do with lazy programming than actual amazing advances... and that the only reason they got away with it was because of hype and silliness pre-release about how it was going to advance everything.

I got the same vibe out of Far Cry and STALKER back in the day, really, and I think Crysis got dumped into my personal group there of "Graphics over gameplay" games that really, end of the day, aren't even all that spectacular in the graphics department for what they're asking.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 PM
gamerDNA Staff

So I write this now that I've finished the game and I have to say - I loved it.

Granted, this is coming from some who also likes Michael Bay movies a lot so Crysis is right up my alley.

I will say this though - claims of optimization that I cited earlier were exaggerated. The game doesn't run leaps and bounds better, but it's still reasonably better.

As for Far Cry & STALKER - I played Far Cry, loved it until the 3rd act. STALKER - could never get into it... I understand people feeling like it's a "PC Gaming Time Capsule" but it just never stuck with me.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast

Fragment is a jewel in the community
Crysis is only pretty...it's not that great of an FPS IMO...
Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 AM

darknessreaver has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment View Post
Crysis is only pretty...it's not that great of an FPS IMO...
almost true, but Warhead is a huge improvement game play wise. time for a thread to see who have Warhead.

www.thecompanyhub.com
Feel free to stop by anytime and play with us or just hang out on Team speak.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 AM

SkyMonkey has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessreaver View Post
almost true, but Warhead is a huge improvement game play wise. time for a thread to see who have Warhead.
In what way?

I finally went and got this, and admittedly I'm not far into it yet, but... Everyone keeps saying "Oh, it's so much better!" or "Oh, it's much easier to get into this time"...

As far as I can see it's exactly the same???

Like it barely even feels like an expansion/addon, it's like they sold you the same game, and went "Oh, but you're over here now and you're another dude."

The controls and interface are exactly the same, the flow of the gameplay is the same, the weapons are the same (I think I saw one new one so far?), the environments are even the same for all intents and purposes, it's just more jungle, beach and Koreans ffs! How is it "much better" or "improved", exactly?

I'm certainly not saying it's bad, as such, or any worse than the first one, but I very much struggle to think of it as being any better! Really, after only a few hours I can already barely be bothered playing it, it feels like they've just made me pay for and play Crysis again, I could've already done that months ago if I thought it was worth doing.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Well it looks a lot better to begin with, and I'm getting a better framerate out of it.

That being said, the game is obviously a lot 'smaller' than crysis.

Quote:
Like it barely even feels like an expansion/addon
That's because it is. It's a standalone expansion.

Personally I found Crysis a bit slow for a shooter. Lot of endless running through the jungle without shooting anything... Warhead is a lot more action packed and filled with explosions and other cool stuff. No silly running... But it's way too short (3-4 hours on hard?) and the story is way too shit....

It's fun for a boring night, but not much more than that.