11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Peacekeeper

Krallang is an unknown quantity at this point
It all depends on perspective though, as of right now based on overclocking and price Intel is dominating AMD. So even when ati comes out with a new video card to trump Nvidia (and I'm sure Nvidia already has something beyond the 8800 series, "2nd generation") any sane buyer would still upgrade via Intel, Nvidia, SLI over say AMD, ATI and crossfire configurations.

I mean sure these companies go back and forth but AMD isn't expected to release anything competing with Intels Duo core till mid 2007 and dosent think its quad core will be ready till early 2008.

At least thats how I see it, others may see it a different way.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krallang View Post
It all depends on perspective though, as of right now based on overclocking and price Intel is dominating AMD. So even when ati comes out with a new video card to trump Nvidia (and I'm sure Nvidia already has something beyond the 8800 series, "2nd generation") any sane buyer would still upgrade via Intel, Nvidia, SLI over say AMD, ATI and crossfire configurations.

I mean sure these companies go back and forth but AMD isn't expected to release anything competing with Intels Duo core till mid 2007 and dosent think its quad core will be ready till early 2008.

At least thats how I see it, others may see it a different way.

Krallang, ATI also already has something well beyond their current in-production DX10 chipset planned. It's not like these companies focus entirely on one product, they (should) have more than enough resources to start planning and designing on what might be next while they're still working on their current project.

You seem to believe that ATI cards will only function if you have an AMD chipset, which is of course nonsense. There is no reason to not run an ATI + Intel configuration whatsoever.

Any sane buyer would wait until ATI delivers on it's DX10 chipset. Not just because it could very well be superior to Nvidia's 8800, but also because it'll drop the prices on them 8800's significantly. Considering the history between Nvidia and ATI releases, it's very likely that ATI's DX10 chipset will prove more powerful at much lower energy consumption rate and with a significantly smaller sized chip. The Geforce 8800 GTX has some pretty nasty drawbacks: very high price, requires boatloads of power (2 friggin' power connectors!) and takes up the space of 2 PCI-e slots. It's worth waiting until ATI releases it's chip regardless of whether it's more powerful or not... because if it's not, one of those drawbacks of the 8800 GTX: the very high price tag, will vanish.

So what would a sane buyer do? Wait.
There's currently no need to buy a new videocard/processor combination anyway, because there aren't any DX10 or excessively demanding games out yet. My 2 and a half year old PC is a testament to that: it can still run ANY new game out there quite well (other than the crappy ones requiring shader model 3.0), usually in my normal resolution (1600x1200) even.