11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!


Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion


View Poll Results: Is there pirated game software on your computer right now?
No. All 100% legit and paid for. Down with piracy! 60 51.72%
hmmm yes. I'm a hypocrite! Down with piracy! (cough) ... 16 13.79%
Yes... and I think piracy's OK. 40 34.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 AM
PrivateSniper's Avatar
PrivateSniper PrivateSniper is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK - England
Posts: 473
PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
[ b ] and [ / b ] without the spaces for bold, this is a php site, not html

your argument however is flawed because you cannot prove that the person who pirates a game, would have actually baught it if it was not available to download elsewhere, and also, you cannot also prove that they do not intend to buy it just because they have a pirated copy..

i'll give you a few examples, I have pirated versions of both Hellgate London, and Need For Speed Underground, I downloaded them, because at the time I couldn't afford to buy them, but as soon as I could, I baught them both, so just because a certain game is pirated, does not mean that the developers lose money.

I would also argue, that If I had no access to download them and try them out, I may have chose not to buy them and maybe get some newer or alternative game which I have been able to try and prove that it was worth buying..

Maybe if companies produced better demo's people wouldn't feel the need to pirate
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Reusol's Avatar
Reusol Reusol is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK, Hampshire, Portsmouth
Posts: 160
Reusol is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to Reusol Send a message via Skype™ to Reusol
i voted yes but i dont think piracy is good but it is as well. see if i liek a game, i go out an buy it, im not gonna waste money on a game i dont like, and demo's dont do any justice for the game at all. i mean i do buy games and stuff, its software i dont pay for, its way to expensive anyway.

i think piracy give people a chance to test something more than anything. though, upon saying that, alot of people dont. but teh software i downloaded i have kept. so i have photoshop CS2, flash 8, dreamweaver 8 and camtasia. and thats it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Retodon8's Avatar
Retodon8 Retodon8 is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Netherlands, NH
Posts: 1,323
Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post
Third: however, I will gladly use pirate versions of software I actually have paid for. This eliminates the need to find the CD, stick a USB dongle in the computer, whatever.
Although it is very likely that is technically illegal, I completely see where you're coming from.
You bought the software, the developer got their money, so you want to be able to properly use the software, and some licenses are so restrictive you just can't do that.
For instance having to buy a new Windows Vista license because your motherboard broke is just stupid, and that example isn't even avoidable.
Having to put in a CD every time you play a game is OK with me as long as the developer eventually releases an official no-CD patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnererer View Post
When I had no job, and lived in my parents basement (not saying I dont not live in my parents basement still... sigh), I downloaded lots of games. Now that I have a job, and am contributing to society, I pay for most of my games.
Somewhat comparable to my situation.
When I was a child I got games from my friends, and vice verse, and I didn't even consider the repercussions.
(Of course there was no way I would've been able to actually buy those games at that age.)
Later I figured I don't like all that many games anyway, and I can pay for the games I do want.
I still do that.
Sometimes I pick up an old game from the bargain bin, so gaming doesn't even necessarily cost a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketwolf View Post
Piracy has always been a huge issue for me. I wrote an experience about it...
I should've been asleep already, but I'll read it another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateSniper View Post
[ b ] and [ / b ] without the spaces for bold, this is a php site, not html
Actually that's vB code, basically the same as BB code you see in other forum software, which doesn't have anything to do with PHP per se.
Those codes were invented so people could still use mark-up without introducing the security risk of letting them use actual HTML.
It's often PHP that translates the code into HTML behind the scenes, but it could be any language.

I'll pick up on the discussion after reading Pocketwolf's text... tomorrow maybe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 AM
PrivateSniper's Avatar
PrivateSniper PrivateSniper is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK - England
Posts: 473
PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8
Actually that's vB code, basically the same as BB code you see in other forum software, which doesn't have anything to do with PHP per se.
Those codes were invented so people could still use mark-up without introducing the security risk of letting them use actual HTML.
It's often PHP that translates the code into HTML behind the scenes, but it could be any language.
I know it's vb code, I never said it was bb code or php code, I said the site was php - which as you said, tends to indicate the use of bb or vb code, but not necessarily =P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Pocketwolf's Avatar
Pocketwolf Pocketwolf is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 258
Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
There's also the matter of other HTML tags that DO work. Anchor tags still work with HTML on this site, so I was under the impression other HTML tags would work also. Doesn't matter much, I'll edit the code later, thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateSniper View Post
your argument however is flawed because you cannot prove that the person who pirates a game, would have actually baught it if it was not available to download elsewhere, and also, you cannot also prove that they do not intend to buy it just because they have a pirated copy..

i'll give you a few examples, I have pirated versions of both Hellgate London, and Need For Speed Underground, I downloaded them, because at the time I couldn't afford to buy them, but as soon as I could, I baught them both, so just because a certain game is pirated, does not mean that the developers lose money.

I would also argue, that If I had no access to download them and try them out, I may have chose not to buy them and maybe get some newer or alternative game which I have been able to try and prove that it was worth buying..

Maybe if companies produced better demo's people wouldn't feel the need to pirate
Understand that there are two (and possibly more) issues here.

(1) Developers lose money (or more accurately, cannot recoup costs spent in development and planning if piracy takes sales down);

(2) Piracy is a crime.

My post aimed to highlight the truth of the first point, as some people may not have realised how piracy affected studios; but also to state the second point, which happens to be a fact. It's not a fact that people LIKE, and it's not one that a lot of people AGREE with, but it's still a fact.

So if you pirate the game and then buy it, the first point is moot; however, you have still broken the law and if you are caught in that period between downloading it and buying it, you're still going to get busted. I don't have a personal view about that one way or another - I was just stating a fact.

An additional point that probably deserves stating - for lack of a better way to put it, demos are not a right, they are a privilege. Some game developer at some stage in the past decided, "Hey, it would be neat if gamers could get a feel for what our game is like before the actual game is released, without paying for it. Let's give them a demo." That was really nice of them. Not every game developer since then has done the same, and they're perfectly entitled to choose not to - developing a demo isn't always a matter of releasing a full version of the game that's simply locked down. Good demos take time to create, and the process of releasing it creates extra work for the company (during a hectic stage of development and testing) that they technically aren't obliged to do.

Bottom line... be thankful if you get a demo, but don't expect one, and definitely don't use it as an argument to support piracy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 AM
PrivateSniper's Avatar
PrivateSniper PrivateSniper is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK - England
Posts: 473
PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
Well in these days, if a developer produces a game, and can't be arsed (and that's what it comes down to) to make a demo, then chances are alot less people are going to be interested in the game - especially if it's a new i.p. for example.

the law is a very gray area depending on what country your in - but that's not got anything to do with the real piracy discussion at all.

so your only real argument, is that developers can't remake money they've spent due to piracy which again unless you can PROVE that the person who downloaded the pirated copy of the game would have baught it had the ability to download it not been there, then you have no real argument.

Yes there are alot of people who will just take pirated games and take it for granted, and them sort of people suck, they are the same sort of people we don't want in our gaming communities, but sadly they are there until society is able to change to adjust to this new form of media
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Pocketwolf's Avatar
Pocketwolf Pocketwolf is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 258
Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
You can attribute to me whichever argument is easiest to refute, if that's helpful. I've said what I wanted to say about the matter. This is one of those arguments which nobody ever 'wins' because everyone has their own opinion of it and nobody wants to admit that anyone else is right - whatever I say, someone is going to argue with it, no matter how much sense it makes.

Some arguments have more merits than others: I hope the merits of mine are clear.

Over and out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 AM
PrivateSniper's Avatar
PrivateSniper PrivateSniper is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK - England
Posts: 473
PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
I guess that's why it's called an argument
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 AM
DaMann's Avatar
DaMann DaMann is offline
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock TX
Posts: 242
DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
I get quite a bit of the software I need to use free from school(Vista,Office,VS2008), so I don't have to pirate. A guy I know did quite a bit more piracy when he was younger(13-15) before he really had money to spend on all this cool software. Did he deserve them? Probably not. He doesn't pirate many games, because he likes to play online games which require unique keys. He was known to download more expensive software suites, such as CS3.


If anyone is still pirating MP3's get Zune Pass, it is great. 15$ a month. The only downside is the lack of portability, but I don't mind it to much since I own a zune and now get all my music legally. For the albums I really like I will end up buying them in addition to the 15$ fee. I still hate DRM, why should I be punisihed when I am paying for the service? Down with DRM!

DaMann is 100% legal.
Last edited by DaMann : 09-23-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Predator-kill-all-DK's Avatar
Predator-kill-all-DK Predator-kill-all-DK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Næstved, Denmark
Posts: 3
Predator-kill-all-DK has much to be proud of
RE
I have paid everything on my computer, Windows, Games, Movies, Music, and i can continue.

Quote:
Why: I mean it's not right to steal peoples, things as people says they get enough money if i pay or if i don't but if we say that 100 or 1000 do the same then they lose much money (Not that much but if we then says 15000) and if they dosen't get enough money they won't produce more software or music and then it will hurt the people who had paid and also the pirates. And in the end the pirates is killing the software/music industry and that's why we got SecuROM and all the others, That do for my example shall fight for my discs to run problem free on Daemon Tools.
And i think if everyone paid their software it also could be runned without using disc just like the good old days.
And no i don't hate them that way i just think it's not right, i've got many friends that download their things (Also buys some) like 90% of my friends did a when they heard that all my software lies on my computer 100% legal.
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off