11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 AM

patinahelix has much to be proud of
X-Com Series
I lovingly remember the first two X-Com games and wonder when they will wise up and release these to XBLA and/or PSN.

Also with all the resurgence of tactical RPGs lately one would think a new X-Com would be a no brainier.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
They did make the sequels, but because the rights to the X-Com name belongs to someone else still, they had to remake them under the name UFO.

Aftermath, Aftershock & Afterlight are the remakes of the old tactical RPG, with much of the game updated with 3-D graphics and still quite recognisable. These game are, in their own rights, quite good. A little fiddly to get through a mission without getting your team wiped out (but that's what we love about them) and you'll be loosing aircraft for fun at times.

But thats not to say they are clones, much of the game mechanic has been changed, and updates with each installment. Wont tell you what, as that gives away parts of the games that are best left to you to enjoy.

Yes, they are not X-Com, but as I found out, its doesn't take away from the game because of it. If your interested check them out (and yes, during the course of this, I did get all X-Com fanboi-ish).
Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 AM

hexdsl has much to be proud of
All the Xcom games are avalible on steam now, like $5 each i think. other than that UFO aftershock is pretty good too.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
There was also a GBA game called Rebelstar: Tactical Command that was created by Julian Gollop, the designer of X-Com. It shared many similar elements with the X-Com series.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Patrunjelu has much to be proud of
I really love the first X-Com, also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown. I used to play it a lot. I remember that I was getting really excited when unlocking new information and images on alien specimens.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM

Debaser has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrunjelu View Post
I really love the first X-Com, also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown. I used to play it a lot. I remember that I was getting really excited when unlocking new information and images on alien specimens.
I only played the first one as well, but it was all sorts of awesome
Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
There is a FOSS clone here.

That's the only X-COM-like game I've ever played, and I've enjoyed it immensely.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
Loved the X-Com games. Only thing I can remember hating about them was the limited AI and the fact that (at least the first one, don't recall if the others had it) it had a limited time frame.

What was it, like in year 2020 the mothership would attack? I always liked to take a bit slower pace and develop my stuff and that attack always seems to come way to soon.

Any of the remakes ever improve on that?