11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
RIFTS/Palladium: General BS of the Megaverse.
Alright, a few peeps mentioned in the other "list your game" threads have brought up RIFTS/Palladium games before. Right now, I'm contemplating picking it back up for some outlandish fantasy sci-fi. Its just....RIFTS is infamous for tons of loop holes and vague rules. I come here to share my dillemma, my experience, and inquiries to other players about their experiences.

Back story/general BS thoughts as to why I bring it up now:
The original consideration was based on my desire to run something "post apocalyptic fantasy". Spell slingers, lazer rifles and cybernetic parts sounded up my alley as of late. I'm passing Shadowrun (for now) because I'm thinking less Cyberpunk, more Wasteland (or more Mad Max than Max Headroom).

d20 Modern and various options for post apocalyptic are right out for me; I've tried Darwin's World (awesome d20 Post-Apocalyptic setting, but I'm worried the mechanics didn't mesh with the feel) to the d20 version of Gamma World (Which sucked, in my opinion.) I'd almost consider the Alternity version of Gamma World, except I sold all my Alternity stuff a long time ago.

In a sense, Deadlands: Hell On Earth was probably the best thematic setting I wanted to roll with, but I'm not really in the mood for its dice and Poker hand combat system which lasted us HOURS.

So, at the bottom of the barrel, I see the Palladium system and the small collection of books I have on hand for it. It's a love/hate relationship. On one hand, I love the system for pretty much allowing anything into it. But on the other hand, there are times where the rules seem to contradict, or go into very vague details, or at worst cases: Just seems too much.

It has to be the most "House Ruled" system I've ever played; and part of the charm to me was that it was written like a house ruled system in all honesty. I mean come on....with a few books, it is possible for a party to consist of a Dragon, a Rogue Scholar, a Ninja Turtle and some full conversion Borg.

But in the past, it seems the system has always been too open for way different power scales, without a way of describing what is too powerful for a campaign and what is too weak without the Game Master flat out coming in and saying "The following classes are allowed, the others are restricted."

With Heroes: Unlimited, I'd always show up thinking my guy was waay too powerful, only by the end of the night to become the first one dead because I couldn't land a single punch on the villain, which was usually stopped by some other player in a Battle Mech or equivalent over-the-top concept.

In RIFTS, looking back at my personal playing experiences, all of the good experiences I had usually were one-sided: They all involved playing Coalition troops, especially Borgs. I ran a couple shots of RIFTS doing the opposite, wanting players to go against the Coalition. I thought I had stuff "balanced" for the team (which included a dragon) but combat still appeared to last forever, which I'm willing to admit was probably still a lack of full preperation on my end and I'm sure there was some rule that would've sped the whole process up.

But despite the weird quirks, I found myself cracking open the Ultimate Edition hardcover last night, and starting to go back through it. There are some definite pros for what I want to do....I mean, it's a game that involves a Megaverse...so I can easily scrap the Coalition and still have cyborg headhunters, Cyber-Knights, and Ley-Line Walkers roaming around somewhere else.

So yeah...that's my entry piece. What I'm trying to accomplish here is getting feedback from other RIFTS/Palladium players to share their experiences, both story/setting wise but also just experiences related to managing the game, their house rules, just to be sort of a "grab bag" of ideas and stories from other people who've played the game. It's a freaking massive setting, with tons of sourcebooks and games that mesh across and it's impossible to know "everything" there is to it. What flavor do you run? What settings have you played?

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 09-07-2008, 04:15 PM

MatteKudesai has much to be proud of
I played some Rifts in the way back when (I think the GM combined some Heroes Unlimited with it) but, sadly, I don't remember much about it.

I like the whole Megaverse idea that drives it, as my own D&D campaigns tend to jump all over different time periods and eventually morph into a D20 Modern game.

I took a look at the Rifts Ultimate Edition that someone had posted in Scribd and it looks like something I'd dig. Saving my pennies ...

Old 09-24-2008, 01:15 AM

Emcew is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Emcew Send a message via MSN to Emcew Send a message via Yahoo to Emcew
Yeah, the best thing about all the Palladium books is that they're ALL compatible with each other. Even ones that the settings need a hammer and elbow grease to fit.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcew View Post
Yeah, the best thing about all the Palladium books is that they're ALL compatible with each other. Even ones that the settings need a hammer and elbow grease to fit.
You mean like the core rule book by itself :P

Nah but in all honesty, it can be a very fun, very out there and explosive game to play.

It's just far too often, I see games with house rules like this:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/castlela...use_rules.html

*shudders*

PS -- This line says it all from the above link
"#8-This is a thinking game, you will use your skills and braines. Want hack and slash, play Battletech or No Elves."

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade