11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 AM

pst has much to be proud of
I'm getting the idea that staff really couldn't care less about this. 8 days later and nothing.

My Armory Profile

Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 AM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
1. There is a lot of confusion with the roster because a pull of all guilds was done in Feb manually and it was never updated... so it actually doesn't update... never did... it just looked like it did.

2. We are cleaning up the roster this week so that it makes more sense what it does and how it behaves. That should go in on monday if it all works out.

3. This thread is a bit long with lots of issues, so it is hard to track. If you have a new issue or something, creating a new thread for it in support is best... at least for me and Imran and others to see it.

4. just because we answer doesn't mean we don't care... if you look at the support threads we answer a lot... we also answer dozens of request per day through the www.gamerdna.com/support form... so you can go there as well if you want an update or quicker answers.

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeAgent View Post
1. There is a lot of confusion with the roster because a pull of all guilds was done in Feb manually and it was never updated... so it actually doesn't update... never did... it just looked like it did.
Odd, my guild didn't exist in February. So it got that info SOMEWHERE. My guild was created the end of September.

Quote:
2. We are cleaning up the roster this week so that it makes more sense what it does and how it behaves. That should go in on monday if it all works out.
Great! Its nice to see its actually getting some attention. Its frustrating posting in the SUPPORT forum for weeks about a topic, and not seeing any response.

Quote:
3. This thread is a bit long with lots of issues, so it is hard to track. If you have a new issue or something, creating a new thread for it in support is best... at least for me and Imran and others to see it.
I posted my roster issues in the support forum. In a topic already created for roster issues. And waited. Got frustrated and replied to myself (bumping it to the top). Several times. Still no response. Tonight you posted the above response. Thanks.

Quote:
4. just because we answer doesn't mean we don't care... if you look at the support threads we answer a lot... we also answer dozens of request per day through the www.gamerdna.com/support form... so you can go there as well if you want an update or quicker answers.
What I saw was, staff answering another staff's silly "test 123456" post when there were people asking for help/answers and they were being ignored for days, sometimes weeks, on end. THATS why I finally posted the "it looks like you don't care" response.

Look, in the end, we all want the same thing - stuff to work. We (the customers) point out whats broke, you acknowledge it, you fix it, we all win. If you can't fix it in a day, a week, a month, whatever - TELL US you can't fix it. Above, you tell me, this particular problem has been a problem since FEBRUARY. THIS IS OCTOBER. Still wanna tell me you care?

That chain of communication was obviously lost. Sorry I got pissy, thanks for acknowledging at least this particular bug. Maybe I just expect too much - you have features on here that either don't work, or aren't documented at all. I can't b!tch I guess, its free, right?

My Armory Profile

Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pst View Post
Great! Its nice to see its actually getting some attention. Its frustrating posting in the SUPPORT forum for weeks about a topic, and not seeing any response.
If that means on other websites you've got responses quicker than that, you have been blessed.
I've found that most companies don't even bother responding.
If you're really lucky, you get a cookie cutter "We have read your questions/suggestion/complaint. Thank you for posting." reply.
Of course you never hear anything about that again.

Quote:
What I saw was, staff answering another staff's silly "test 123456" post when there were people asking for help/answers and they were being ignored for days, sometimes weeks, on end. THATS why I finally posted the "it looks like you don't care" response.
I assume the test actually had a valid reason to exist, and can't have taken more than a minute to post.
The same (latter part) goes for a simple, silly reply by another staff member
No idea what was being tested, but this roster problem seems to be a tough nut to crack.
I know I started this post saying you should be happy to get a reply at all, but the fact that you're not getting fed any information doesn't mean your issues are being ignored.

I know how annoying it is to even feel ignored though.
To keep their members happy, gDNA staff should try and respond as quickly as possible, preferably not with a cookie cutter reply but with something catered to the original post to show it was actually read.
This Thank you thread shows they're definitely trying and succeeding some of the times.

Quote:
Look, in the end, we all want the same thing - stuff to work. We (the customers) point out whats broke, you acknowledge it, you fix it, we all win. If you can't fix it in a day, a week, a month, whatever - TELL US you can't fix it.
Agreed.
Information is always a good thing, even if it's not what you really wanted to hear.

Quote:
you have features on here that either don't work, or aren't documented at all. I can't b!tch I guess, its free, right?
That's a good point, the site could do with some official documentation, including all the basics.
And yes, I suppose you can bitch; you haven't been banned.
I personally never outright bitch (at least I haven't caught myself doing that, try to avoid negativity for as long as possible), try to give people the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible.
I hope they can fix this problem soon and you will have an overall positive experience in the end.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 AM

You know what, I re-read how I responded earlier and I came across as quite a dick. That wasn't my intention. If anyone took it that way (and its easy to see that being the case), I'm sorry. I just want things to work

Thanks for your work!

My Armory Profile

Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
Hey pst, don't worry about ever "coming across as a dick" we're here to help you guys out, and when something doesn't work, no one takes it as hard as our developers.

I totally get it when members get frustrated, and we always feel it that much worse. Imagine spending hours upon hours tricking to hand-craft your own brand new pencil and then the tip breaks as soon as you start writing, that's the kind of feeling we get when something breaks.

The roster issue as a whole has been a hotly discussed issue here on gamerDNA, and it's taken us some time to identify the issues and devote some assets to it.

As Trapper said, we're pushing out a new update today that will alleviate some of the roster concerns, and I invite everyone to contact us (http://www.gamerDNA.com/support/ if they have any other problems with the site).

Cheers!

Imran
Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
gamerDNA Development Team

Xianthe is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Xianthe Send a message via MSN to Xianthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarrow View Post
One thing I never figured out was how to set the level of my character.
The ability to set your character level is based on the game you are entering a character for. Some games don't support characters (such as many console games) and some games have not had level support added yet. This is something we work on in an ongoing basis. If one of your favorite games does not have support for levels, but the game itself supports levels, I suggest making a feature request via support and hopefully we will be able to get to it.

Here are some images of two games both with levels, but one has support and the other does not.

Aion without Level Support
Everquest II with Level Support

Ssinurn D'Ssinns
Xianthe Xian
Anaxamandra Aethermyst
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 AM

Unhappy
OK, since the built-in guild roster still doesn't work, I decided to make my own. Used an "undefined" page, titled it, enabled it, filled it with content. Neat. Works. But the old built in broken roster still shows. I think, "oh, I just need to disable that" - guess what - disabling it doesn't work, it STILL shows up even when disabled. So now pages have a button that says "Roster" (the broken built in one) and "GuildRoster" (the one I built). I thought you guys were going to give some love to the "broken since February" roster code?

In the meantime - can someone tell me how to DISABLE the broken one (even though the pulldown for it already SAYS DISABLED)???

It looks pretty tacky having two rosters.

While on this issue - I tried changing the order that the pages display (thats what I assume those numbers were for on the Pages page). I'm talking about the buttons down the left side of the page. Seems no matter what numbers I use they stay in the same order. Is that also on someone's list to fix?

Here's a link so you all can point and laugh at my failure.

http://tgoa.gamerdna.com

My Armory Profile

Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 AM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
Quote:
OK, since the built-in guild roster still doesn't work, I decided to make my own. Used an "undefined" page, titled it, enabled it, filled it with content. Neat. Works. But the old built in broken roster still shows. I think, "oh, I just need to disable that" - guess what - disabling it doesn't work, it STILL shows up even when disabled.
So I just logged in as an admin to your guild, went to the member tab, unchecked the Enable Roster box... and clicked Apply changes... and now the tab is gone... so I think that is what you were looking for?

In general, what is still broken about the Roster? It has two clear modes now that should show characters or members. It looks like what you are asking for is a sort that groups the characters not by game, but by Guild Rank?

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 10-21-2008, 12:40 AM

Thanks, ChangeAgent, I had unchecked that, and under Manage, Pages, used the pulldown there that says "Disabled" and it was still showing. It kept re-checking the one you said you changed for me, and the Disabled pulldown menu option for each page still said Disabled. Hope that helps track that particular issue down.

As for whats still broke - when I initially created the site here, your site hit the WoW Armory and downloaded the roster for the guild (note that the armory doesn't show characters below level 10 - no biggie in our case). Ever since then, it has not updated the roster. When I initially created the guild here, it also had (as previously mentioned in this thread) duplicates of some of the characters. That got fixed last week (thanks again!). So I guess to answer your question, whats still broke - the initial "pull" from the Armory worked but never worked after that - we've added quite a few people to the guild since then. If you take a look at the "home made crappy looking" roster that I built (The GuildRoster button), thats accurate as of today. The old, broken roster was missing about 75% of those people.

I was under the assumption that there was a daily cron job that hit the WoW Armory to update the roster - that hasn't happened since I created the guild site here weeks ago. Again, hopefully I've given you enough info to track down where the discrepency is (maybe I'm just assuming that since it worked once it was supposed to work daily?)

Now while I have your attention could you explain the numerical structure on the Pages page? It lets me plug a number in there, and I assumed that was for the rank order of the buttons along the left side of the screen (but its apparently not?)

Thanks again for your time and fixing what I was unable to.

My Armory Profile