11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

View Poll Results: Which game brings up the best feelings of nostalgia for you?
Star Wars Galaxies 10 37.04%
Dark Age of Camelot 4 14.81%
of the two I only played DOAC 1 3.70%
of the two I only played SWG 4 14.81%
There were no MMORPGs before World of Warcraft 2 7.41%
Taste my frustration and angst as I rage against MMOS OR I'm too young to have played SWG or DOAC 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2008, 04:03 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Nostalgia poll for MMO RPG gamers who have been playing since at least 2002
I read a lot of post in my line of work so I decided to take a poll. So I asked my brain cells which game help the most nostaglia for people Star Wars Galaxies or Dark Age of Camelot. Yes, I know its unfair to compare apples and oranges, but that's way nostalgia works. We tend to forget all details and are left with a slideshow of moments, a contaxt and a feeling.

So I am not comparing the games, but the nostalgia. I think that's fair and besides it's my thread and I'll poll what I want to.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
I have to go with Dark Age of Camelot simply because I never played Star Wars Galaxies. (Does it count as nostalgia if you still play the game? *glances at Xfire profile*)

I am an admitted magpie. I flit from shiny to shiny, checking out the new stuff and having fun with them but I always come back to DAoC. I love the realms, the races and classes, the quests, the RvR...to me, it's all golden.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community
nostalgia alllllll the way back to 2002. Seems like it was only 6 years ago.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

DODswe4 is a jewel in the community DODswe4 is a jewel in the community
I really didnt play much MMos before WoW, so i gues im kinda mainstram there :P
Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
I never played DAoC, but my years in SWG were the years that I enjoyed the most up untill this point in time. Sad as that might be, it's the truth, but I've got some time left to live so that's okay.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
DAoC for me. I didn't play much the first time round with it, due to a crappy connection from where I was living/working. Picked it up again for a short while last year, and I remembered the good times.

Nessies lair, being fed to werewolves (repeatedly), getting lost in Midgard (repeatedly), being given vague directions (that village with that troll with that weapon, turn right, and head up the hill to you come to a ferocious wolf, turn left). I have to say I had more fun the second time around, least this time I wasn't timing out every 30 mins.

Also, thanks to the wonders of modern science, having an interactive map of the area helped a great deal in finding my way around.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
OMG, 2002. I feel soooo oooold!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 PM

LamaLeif has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to LamaLeif
For me it would be Anarchy Online with SWG on second place. It's been seven years since i picked up AO, and still i have regular contact with alot of the friends i made way back then. The game had bugs and issues there is no denying that, but i still had -fun- playing it, unlike todays mmos that just feel like a grind for anything.
SWG was great in the way that nothing really ever felt like grinding, compared to say WoW, AoC, Eve, EQ2 and the list goes on. If i wanted to change skills that was done in a day, there were so many things to keep you occupied when not doing pvp.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Aspendawn has much to be proud of
I played both but have no feelings of nostalgia associated with either. Only mmo I've ever been nostalgic about is EQ.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Nessies lair, being fed to werewolves (repeatedly), getting lost in Midgard (repeatedly), being given vague directions (that village with that troll with that weapon, turn right, and head up the hill to you come to a ferocious wolf, turn left).
Sup fellow Midgardian!

I hear ya on this part. *laughs* I can't tell you how many times this conversation took place between me and fellow guildies:

Guildie: "Hey, Ari...where are you?"
Me: "I don't know, but I am surrounded by grapes. Angry grapes*."

I played a hunter and, true to character, hunting named mobs was one of my favorite things to do. There was one lake down near Gna Faste that supposedly had a named mob living in it. I would spent hours swimming around that thing and never found him. To this day, I have never seen a named mob in there. I think someone lied to me and spent a lot of time laughing at my expense. :P

*Grape = purple mob = tasty death served on a bun
Last edited by arislyn : 08-29-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: My grammer r gud