11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 AM

xXyunaXx is a jewel in the community xXyunaXx is a jewel in the community
yeah thankyou ^_^ i think he will do that but one problem is maybe that :/ they dont allow refunds or repairs.. lol i dont know >_< but he says he'll try ^^ i'll tell you how it goes after he did it~ thanks!

~Proud member of [SYM] Pool of Blood ~
SxY FoReVer Love or die..
"fighting is not about hitting hard! its about how hard you can get hit and stand back up and hit back as hard!"
"love or die.. die if you
cannot
love for life without love is a meaningless path.. love or die..."

Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXyunaXx View Post
hi there i come here seeking help for a friend of mine who apprantly got his new pc with vista on it... and he's attempting to play Guildwars unreal tornament you name it.. all kinds of games and they all seem to freeze at random intervals T_T please help him by giving me any suggestions! thankyou very much i appreciate it in advance~

PS: i have strongly recommended him that he get win xp but is there any other way around solving this problem without rolling back to xp? thanks!

Have him remove "Superfetch" from his startup list.

Superfetch is part of the abomination known as Vista. I removed it and my gaming experiences improved significantly.

SuperFetch is a technology that pre-loads commonly used applications into the memory to reduce their load times. Huge chunks of data being loaded repeatedly for games you aren't currently playing = BAD.

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."
Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 PM

alright i'll tell him that ^_^ thanks alot!

"fighting is not about hitting hard! its about how hard you can get hit and stand back up and hit back as hard!"
cannot

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 AM

hey gmbidols stfu!!

cannot

Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 AM

AngelicLoki is a jewel in the community AngelicLoki is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to AngelicLoki Send a message via MSN to AngelicLoki
There are a couple things that are different about Vista that may cause your games to "hiccup" as I like to call it:

1.) GeForce card are known to cause errors in Vista, please make sure that you are running the latest possible version of windows vista via the update tool. This may sound like a Microsoft service announcement, but the reason is because there were several registry settings that were not working with the GeForce series that were changed with SP1, and not knowing whether he has that or not, I should remind you to DL it.

2.) Vista uses RAM very efficiently, whereas previous versions of windows did not, and in the case of a very quick memory spike, superfetch (the program that does the memory optimizing) may not yield the RAM quite fast enough, causing this hiccup. In all seriousness, this should never happen, but depending on several factors, its worth mentioning.

Those games also do not utilize multi-cores, so keep in mind you will be using only 1 core when playing them, although I know at least GW should run fine on that setup.

EDIT: This is a HUGE problem is he purchased a PC, and its not registering as legit for windows update. The fact that they dont do repairs or refunds honestly should have shot a huge warning indicator up... but he needs to take it back, and either get a new computer or get his money back, or get a legit OS. Hacked copies of Vista are known to have several LARGE security holes, and could actually be causing some of those problems due to the hacks used to prevent the necessary registrations.

Build Your Own Minicity
Last edited by AngelicLoki : 09-04-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 AM

AngelicLoki is a jewel in the community AngelicLoki is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to AngelicLoki Send a message via MSN to AngelicLoki
Quote:
Superfetch is part of the abomination known as Vista. I removed it and my gaming experiences improved significantly.

SuperFetch is a technology that pre-loads commonly used applications into the memory to reduce their load times. Huge chunks of data being loaded repeatedly for games you aren't currently playing = BAD.
Actually turning off superfetch is a bad thing, you should really leave it running. It COULD be causing the problem, but it probably isn't. There are 3 settings for superfech, in Integer form, stored in the registry.

0 = turned off
1 = Optimizing the startup of Vista only
2 = Optimizing all applications

If anything, you should let it optimize startup only, but chances are that its not causing the problem. As far as RAM is concerned, any ram that is not loaded is wasted RAM, so superfetch should be left on.

Build Your Own Minicity
Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 AM

zetathompson has much to be proud of
I am curious if this was ever solved. I run a similar rig and while slow at time have no issues running Guildwars. If his rig had a legit copy of Vista. I would be interested in knowing why it refused to dl upgrades as well. Min gets cantankerous at times.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:48 PM

Bollockhead has much to be proud of
just to had my two pence i have vista and btw have little to no problems running it now theres been alot of good advice but noone asked weather it was 32 bit or 64 and has the pc been overclocked i ask this has my pc was overclocked which i asked for but when i tried to play games it would crash at random times and it was not because i did not have the correct parts because has soon has i reset my bios settings to default i never had the problem again
Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM

Klister has set foot on a distinguished road
I've had my Spore demo freeze up alot using vista...

Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 AM

VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community
Could also be some loose hardware. My graphics card is a little too big for my system and used to jiggle in and out of its slot. I couldn't figure it out at first. Eventually I stuck it back in real good and everything was fine.

BTW, I had the full version of Spore running on Vista. No problems here...