11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming Platforms > Sony (PSP, PS3)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 PM

Johndg is a jewel in the community Johndg is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
I don't think they are beating them in total installed users, but I'm fairly certain PS3 has outsold 360 monthly since it's launch.

(With Wii spanking the crap out of both of them since it's launch, heh )
Not quite, the PS3 has only won monthly sales 4-6 times in the US since launch. For this year the NPD numbers up through May(June is about to be released) PS3 is slightly ahead in the US with the year-to-date being PS3: 1,202,600, 360: 1,121,200. The NPD numbers for 2007 were 360: 4.62 million, PS3: 2.56 million.

The PS3 is still 5 million units behind or more in the US so at their current rate they won't pass within their self proclaimed 10yr plan unless they start gaining more ground each month and that is only if they manage to stay ahead and don't stumble along the way and lose random months.

MS is basically doing the same thing as this except with a slightly different methodology. They are upgrading the pro to a 60gb HD with no price increase but for those who just bought a 20gb at that price it is basically the same thing, of course now they are trying to unload the 20gbs by dropping the price by $50(just like Sony did with the 60gbs when they dropped the price on those).

The biggest question I have is if they are going to drop the 40gb price to unload them or are they going to force unknowing people who don't watch gaming news to buy a system with half the HD space that is going to be replaced in a few months. If I was looking for a PS3 right now it would be the MGS4 bundle or nothing due to this news since I wouldn't want to drop $400 and then see the system with double the storage in a month for the same price. This doesn't effect me to much however considering I already have mine so my bed has been made.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
I don't think they are beating them in total installed users, but I'm fairly certain PS3 has outsold 360 monthly since it's launch.
Yeah that's what I meant, from what I've seen the PS3 has recently started outselling the 360, but they still have a long way to go before they catch up.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Those who aren't 'in the know' are unlikely to look back and check the price a month or two post-purchase.

I've got a 40 gig with several downloaded movie trailers, and I've never had a space issue. I don't see how it would become a concern until there are some very large downloadable games.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Achievement View Post
.. and considering the rumors that keep claiming that MS will release its next console before 2010 ends...
Based on the current 360 hardware, I'm not sure they had much of a choice there...

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 PM

Tyrant-on-Virus has much to be proud of
I'm so insulted by Sony...I origonally had a 60B Verison of thePS3 last Christmas but broke after about a 4 months, refusing to play a single Blu ray disk at all, but at this time, the 60 GB model was scrapped, i reluctantly decided to get a replacement 40GB version with some cash in hand after I was belived to be lyin about it's brokenness, than to send it off somewhere to be fixed. And now im told that Sony is releasing an 80 GB model FOR THE SAME PRICE as a 40GB !!!!
I am frankly realy pissed off right now, I don't come by very much money, and sony have taken it and burnt it before my eyes! ( Excuse my French)

I think i shall be arranging a little falling down the stairs for my PS3, and replace it for an 80 GB.... Only then will i feel that justice has been done to the common gamer!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
You shouldn't have needed to pay anything to fix the unit. Even if you don't get the extended policy from the store the base policy should have been like a year of coverage.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:01 AM

Johndg is a jewel in the community Johndg is a jewel in the community
PS3 only has a 90 day by default as far as I know, the 360 has a year for everything and 3yr for rrod. It is very rare for a manufacturer to give a year on electronics.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 AM

Quilon has much to be proud of
Personally I have a 60gig so I can't complain about anything. My suggestion to anyone debating on getting a PS3 is don't sell your PS2, that way you can still play your old games if you want. Besides I've noticed with games that have long load times like MGS3 the PS3 will take FOREVER! Longer than the PS2 when loading which basically frustrates me and makes me not bother with playing PSX or PS2 games. As for hard drive size, thats not a big issue, Sony was nice enough to make it easy enough to upgrade the drive if you read up on it just a little bit.