11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
The World Ends with You
The World Ends With You is a game for the NDS by Square Enix...

In "The World Ends with you" you play as some kid with headphones on who just woke up in Shibuya, a district in Tokyo. He has no recollection of how he got there or where exactly he is... He receives a message on what appears to be his phone, stating something of a mission. It is very soon you discover that this skater headphone kid is actually the kind of whiny, gay, emo bumboy you rarely meet in a game...

Holy shit how the amount of complaining and whining this kid does... "I don't need friends, society is shit, i'm better off left alone"... etc etc...

Anyway. It appears Shibuya is actually a different version of Shibuya... People can't see him... He's trapped in some sort of game. He meets a girl with who he (after minutes of dialogue stating he does not need help or friends) partners up. And then for almost the rest of the game will complain about. Like him, she's a player. And in this ... shifted dimension (?) of Shibuya the point of the game is to survive...

They have to fight... noise........ Which are basically some sort of creatures that exist in their plain of existence. Of course Neku (the main character) complains about this fact as well.

I am not a very big fan of Square Enix... If anything, I am the opposite. Like most people, I enjoyed FFVII and VIII. But from then on I think they're one of the most overrated shit companies out there. So when I was talking with a friend about how I want a sequel to Jet Set Radio, and he adviced me to try out "The World Ends with you", I had my... doubts.

But surprisingly enough, I think the game is fantastic.

That's right.

Fantastic.

The art style is amazing, it's very neo-Tokyo*. The graphics aren't all that bad, quite ok actually. The music is very very cool. The combat is a lot of fun, as well as very challenging. Level of options / detail is surprising, considering it's for the NDS. But most of all, the story is really weird and fucked up. I don't know if anybody is familiar with the animé "GANTZ", but it's one of my favourites, and this game reminds me of that story. It's a bit like Jet Set Radio meets Gantz meets lots of dialogue, goes NDS.

The combat is interesting as you actually use both screens of your NDS. Emoboy takes the lower screen, weird skinny girl takes the upper... They basically fight the same mobs, and share the same HP bar. And you control them at the same time... Which, when facing lots of mobs, can become quite chaotic. It's a fun challenge, especially later on in the game.

Indeed, apart from the constant whining and bickering from the lead, it's quite an entertaining game!

I've been looking for a decent NDS game for quite some time, and I think I actually finally found one that's worth playing... So far it's been nothing but fun.

Anybody else gave this game a try?

* Neo-Tokyo: I'm not sure if this really is a style... or word for that matter... If not. Well, from now on it is. Not many proper games that have this vibe. Last decent one was Jet Set Radio Future. Not saying TWEWY is as good, but the style is similar. Flashy bright colours, weird futuristic outfits and cool tunes.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Wait.. what the hell is an NDS?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Nintendo DS, portable game system... Like the gameboy... But newer.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem View Post
Nintendo DS, portable game system... Like the gameboy... But newer.
Oh, right. Not keeping track of the portable systems. The last ones I really paid any attention to were the PSP and Game Boy Advanced.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
DS actually has some impressive gems on it, and I've seen better support for online wi-fi gaming from it then the PSP.

I've been looking at this for a while...aside from old-school hacker RPG's like Orcs and Elves, I haven't really been in the mood to try any Final-Fantasy style RPG's yet on the DS (although the 3D remakes of the old FF's are tempting....)

I'll probably give this one a shot. Need some more content other than the weird Homebrews I've been loading on my R4 Cart *like my tabletop RPG collection converted into the comic-book reader format so I can have a portable library. And my IRC client.*

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I stopped buying portable systems when I realized all I ever did was play them in my own room.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Easy Breezy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
I stopped buying portable systems when I realized all I ever did was play them in my own room.
That's cuz you never go anywhere...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem View Post
That's cuz you never go anywhere...
When I do go out, it's not to game. . .

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Arelos_Dhrahin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
When I do go out, it's not to game. . .
Then what do you do? Take a quote from Ambrose -

"Can you believe he would actually rather go out with beautiful, intelligent young woman, than hang out in this ass smelling basement with his best friends on a Friday night playing adventure games and having belching contests? And all for the off chance he'll score too! Can you imagine that?"
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
My DS was a lifesaver when my son was little. I say that as if 2.5 yrs old is "big." I suppose what I mean to say is, "when he was more of a sessile being." I spent more time in the doctor's office than I like to recall during the first few months of his life. Having the DS was wonderful for those long waits. (And, no...if the baby was awake, I didn't play. Better to hug the baby. But he slept a lot.)

Rev, you should check out Puzzle Quest. It's my favorite DS game ever. So...addictive.

I had been avoiding The World Ends With You because the idea of controlling 2 characters at once on different screens just seemed like it would be too hectic, for me.