11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM

xepherys has much to be proud of
I've only had a single RRoD... and that was in Afghanistan where it's hot, we had no A/C and there's enough dust in the air to choke a medium-sized child with ease. I wasn't surprised to see it go.

I've since had an elite with no troubles. The NXE should reduce overall heat footprint of the systems. *shrug* I love my 360. I have a PS3 as well, but I doubt it will ever die as I play it far less.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM

andyg8180 has much to be proud of
Sad thing is a lot of people use their 360's a heck of a lot more than any other piece of equipment in their arsenal... I use mine probably 4-8 hours a day when you factor in Netflix, arcade games, demos, and the occasional online onslaught...

There still is no excuse for these things to be crapping out, but old school systems were no better... Nintendos had the "cartridge blow" trick, sticking the console in the freezer, etc etc...

i've also gone thru like 3 DVD players in the last couple years... 3 PCs, 2 laptops, and a butt load of HDDs... I just really think products arnt what they used to be overall...

2-3 weeks ago i jumped on console number 4... invested in the BBY warranty... Its sooo much quieter, and it doesnt run as hot... So HERE'S TO LONG LASTING 360s!!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg8180 View Post
There still is no excuse for these things to be crapping out, but old school systems were no better...
Um... yeah they were. Typically failure rate of hardware is less than 1% and a high rate runs around 3%. The Xbox 360 failure rate hit a high of 30%. That's completely unheard of ever.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM

xepherys has much to be proud of
andyg, you just sound terribly unlucky. That many hard drive? that many DVD players? Do you use terrible off-brand stuff? I've had the same HDDs for 4 years, same DVD player for who knows how long.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Rawl1133 has much to be proud of
The actual fail rates for 360's are ~19% for the older non HDMI models and ~17% for the newer ones with HDMI.

Not too long ago, maybe a few weeks, Microsoft said that they had solved the problem with the failing Xboxs. They did no say what it was but they said it was solved and the next revision will eliminate the problem.

I think that the reason they have found for the problem is so simple that people would be able to fix their on Xboxs and they are microsoft and want people to buy. I modify Xbox 360 as well as repair RROD. It is often as simple as blowing out dust, reapplying thermal grease, and making the heatsinks tighter to the board with shims.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I must be one of the lucky few. I have only owned one 360 and it has never RROD'd on me. It's an older model as well (got it from a friend) and I've played it an excessive amount of time over the past 2 years. In fact, I've never had a console die on me, not in 28 years of game playing.