11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Mitsuho has much to be proud of
How many people here actually had to pay money to get their box fixed? All I see is the occasional 300-500 on upgrades, improved turn around times from MS, and an extension to three years.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 PM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
Not I...
box 1 was when they were still denying anything was wrong and I was just out of warranty range... got hung up on a few times by CS supervisors because when it came down to it they couldn't give me a guarentee that I wouldn't have to pay that every 3 months or so...
box 2 I modded straight out of the box, throwing it in a clear case with improved air flow to help with the heat issue... turned out to be wasted effort... warranty voided... end of story.
box 3... I'm not modding it, opening it, anythinging it... if it dies, it gets sent back =P

I take only a small comfort in the fact that I cost M$ money as well with each system I purchased
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM

K1LLZ1LLA has much to be proud of
foorgeet daaat!!

i'd rather put 300-400 dollars in upgrades on my computer
Old 11-29-2008, 05:15 PM

XyberDAWG is a jewel in the community XyberDAWG is a jewel in the community
Send a message via ICQ to XyberDAWG Send a message via AIM to XyberDAWG Send a message via MSN to XyberDAWG Send a message via Yahoo to XyberDAWG Send a message via Skype™ to XyberDAWG
My first console RROD by the second one is going strong for over a year now. First one was almost a year bought it from a friend, he never registered it, I registered it, and was covered under the warranty.

Unfortunately the only 360 that had a decent life was the halo edition. It had a GPU that supposedly didn't overheat. I work at a GameCrazy, and 9 out of 10 of the 360s that we get from our warehouse that were traded in in one of our stores (that were tested when traded and worked) we receive back within a week with RROD. Im not sure but it seems like long periods of inactivity, is a bad thing for the 360. Most instances of the RROD I hear involve playing hard for a while, then not playing for a month or two, then when they go back to it, it RRODs.

Good thing MS offers a 3 year warranty on the RROD. One year for other general defects, such as cdrom nolonger reading, disk tray jamming, failing to turn on.

I also noticed alot of flame comments towards all 3 systems.

I own the 360 and Wii.. And will soon have a ps3. I have used them all, I play the 360 if the game is available for multi system simply for achievements. If sony had a trophy system that would broadcast to PSN website to make a GamerCard similar to the 360 then I would start playing the PS3 more. The 360's exclusive Netflix promotion is also a major trump card. I actually got rid of cable TV because of the netflix streaming, and soon they will be streaming in HD to the 360. I can watch every Heroes episode the day after it airs on NBC, in better quality than if I recorded it to DVD or VHS, and still have pause, stop and even better, continue where you left off on any device, 360, netflix box, or PC.

I love my Wii when I have groups over, but I rarely play it by myself, it sits alone until I have a party game need, but Scene It for the 360 puts up a good fight as far as Party games go.

Last edited by XyberDAWG : 11-29-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
I've been rolling an Elite 360 since they came out and have had no problems. My buddy bought his at the same place, same day, and his has RRoD'd twice. But he is like XyberDawg was talking about heavy play, no play , heavy play, no play off and on.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
So far mine's been ok. The DVD drive doesn't like to eject with the front cover on it, so I leave that off. I've had friends however have to buy 4-5 of the systems since they were released.

It's a bit absurd, but at the same time I'd imagine its partially because microsoft had their head in the sand for such a long time. They kept claiming that there was no problem for so long, before they really owned up to it. I don't think they designed this console to last 25-30 years. This isn't an Atari 2600 or Commodore 64. They designed it to last about 5 years on average, but there's a significant number deviating outside of that.

It's definitely an overheating problem due to poor design. That's such a huge case, with an external powersupply... I'm not honestly sure how they screwed it up, but I guess they gave that job to some intern. The PS3 has an intergrated power supply, and a smaller case and doesn't overheat (and more processors).

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbon View Post
They designed it to last about 5 years on average, but there's a significant number deviating outside of that.

It's definitely an overheating problem due to poor design. That's such a huge case, with an external powersupply... I'm not honestly sure how they screwed it up, but I guess they gave that job to some intern.
I don't think any electronic part is designed to fail within x amount of time.

Also note that, from what I've heard, the typical failure rate of any part is around 1%, while 3% is considered unusually high. The Xbox 360 fail rate has been reported as upwards to 30%. It's unheard of for any industry.

I believe it has to do with overheating, particularly with graphics. The new 'Jasper' revision includes a new graphics chip and supposedly fixes the problems. (Note that I haven't followed the news all that much on the revisions or exactly why the problems have been occuring. This is just what I've gathered from skimming the news.)

http://www.dailytech.com/Xbox+360+Ja...ticle13546.htm
Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to XyberDAWG Send a message via AIM to XyberDAWG Send a message via MSN to XyberDAWG Send a message via Yahoo to XyberDAWG Send a message via Skype™ to XyberDAWG
One day while working at Game Crazy, a Customer came up to me and told me he would never buy a 360. I asked him why. His response was that his friend went through 3 of the systems, when the 3rd one RROD his friend decided to take appart the system and look at it. Apparently at the assembly line, they through on a larger heat sink to help with keeping the system cooler. Great Idea, if they remembered to take the plastic cling wrap from the heat sink before installing it. He said there was a huge bubble in the plastic from the heat getting trapped inside the plastic.

I dont know how true it is, but If it is true, it is really a shame that MS fails so much in QC.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
My launch system finally died earlier this year but it wasn't because of a RROD. I have an elite system now and haven't had any problems with it yet.

I know that there was horrible QC done for the 360, but I sometimes also wonder how much of the problem might be the consumer not giving enough room around the system to properly cool itself. Or maybe other things that the consumer could be doing to help the system last longer.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 PM

I do wonder that same thing, but mine RROD with plenty of airflow, had it in a wireframe rack with air clear around it. Including the brick being on the wireframe. I know when it first came out that was the biggest problem with the overheating issue.