11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 AM

Johndg is a jewel in the community Johndg is a jewel in the community
Until my launch system died I had been going strong without issue but I am actually thankful it happened now since if it had waited until after Nov I would not still be in the 3 yr warranty, although it isn't going to effect my gaming due to the fact I got my Elite in June of last year for the HDMI.

With the 3 yr 3rl warranty extension I would not be afraid to buy one now since that is the most common error not to mention I always get a PRP from where I get it so I can instant swap instead of wait, in fact what most people don't know about the Best Buy extended warranty is that it is on top of the manufacturer's and not a flat 2 year. You also get unlimited swaps while it is within the manufacturer's warranty unlike Gamestop's "you use it and it is gone so buy another one" warranty(although BB's does turn in to that after the manufacturer's warranty is up, if Gamestop altered their warranty to be the same as BB's please tell me since I have been avoiding them for hardware due to this).

If someone was going to get one at BB now I would recommend an arcade with the 120gb HD separately which puts it around the same price as the Elite and if you have to trade the system they can't say the HD has to go with it, sometimes you get a nice CS person who lets you swap them but some of them are hardcore and won't which is why I have been using my launch system as a data backup location so I wouldn't lose anything if it died.

[Disclaimer] The warranty info is all information given by BB CS so if things have changed I would love to know. Also, any spelling, grammar or other simple errors that might be above were probably caused by me rushing due to a desire to get food.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:09 AM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post
Wow, we're getting fanboi trolls already?

Sales:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06..._sales_may_08/

Dominated by the Wii, with the 360 lagging somewhat atm, though not enough to really be considered a trend.

Some PS3s have overheated, but as a "widespread problem" it continues to be what it has been all along, a rumor. PS3's, like Wii's, continue to have a failure rate under 3%. Sony continues to claim a 1% failure rate for the 40G PS3.

http://www.ps3vault.com/how-to-kill-a-ps3-console-1975

Shee. Facts are so boring, aren't they?
*yawn* yes =P haha... I like playing fanboi for all the systems... and PC... I'm a gamer... don't really care about the system
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LLZ1LLA View Post

anyone else got opinions?
The salvation is here, the PS3 games are arriving, buy yours before there are no more to buy!

No, I don't really care, it's 07:51, I'm bored and going to sleep feels like wasting time, a fanboy post is just what I needed.

Edit: Although I would like to know how much money MS is losing because of the 360 repairs. They can't be making more money on the console sales then they are spending on the repairs now can they? But then there's Live and what-not.
Last edited by Sensational : 07-09-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM

K1LLZ1LLA has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
The salvation is here, the PS3 games are arriving, buy yours before there are no more to buy!

No, I don't really care, it's 07:51, I'm bored and going to sleep feels like wasting time, a fanboy post is just what I needed.

Edit: Although I would like to know how much money MS is losing because of the 360 repairs. They can't be making more money on the console sales then they are spending on the repairs now can they? But then there's Live and what-not.

WEEEEEEEEELL there at about $990 Million dollars spent on just RROD

Story Here
Old 07-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
I thought they at least spent 2bn as they reported that as losses on it last year I believe
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
I believe it's almost 2b in losses, but only about 1b of that is specific to X360 returns. You're both right!

And look, the cupcakes and Kool-Aid are ready!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormyre View Post
*yawn* yes =P haha... I like playing fanboi for all the systems... and PC... I'm a gamer... don't really care about the system
[edit] Oh, you're laughing at my joke. Augh, I'm sorry. I get it now. I'm slow on the draw today. (But it really *is* all about me. [/edit]

Um... OK. And? Maybe you got the impression I was talking specifically to you? You know, it's not all about you. (It's really all about me. ) Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being a fan if you have it under control, like any addiction.

(The X360 doesn't need any more fans, it has two quite loud ones built in! Nyuk Nyuk! OK, OK, totally a cheap shot, but I couldn't resist.)

What's so funny is that for months, I mean months X360 fans and Microsoft insisted that the red ring of death was not a common problem, and that it wasn't heat related. The X360 does not have a heat problem. Really!

Now everybody knows the X360 has a heat problem. Microsoft and the X360 fans are now adamant that the PS3 has the same problems. The PS3 is failing, the PS3 has the same problems.

That's also untrue, and more importantly why do they wish that the PS3 had a problem? Well, fan is short for "fanatic", and fanatics aren't required to be rational. So you get statements like "PS3 sales are dropping and they catch fire, it's not long before they give up ha ha." Which is totally made up. Wishing it were true here replaces checking your facts.

I have a 40G PS3 and an X360 elite, both on standby and ready to go at a moment's notice (a little longer if you forget that the X360 waits until your HDMI TV is turned on before it starts booting--wouldn't want to miss that logo!). The Xbox is hot, loud, and has a distinctive, ads-in-yo-face GUI; the PS3 is sleek, quiet, and the UI puts my apartment's decor to shame. It's been several weeks since I turned on the XBox, because of aesthetics. If there is one good game on a different platform (any platform), I'll play that instead. It's just aesthetics.

As far as actually playing games is concerned, both consoles are pretty similar. Isn't it be in the gamer's best interest for the console that doesn't melt to be dominant? I don't understand what's difficult about that.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
More Fuel For The Debate
I still say you may as well buy a Wii.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 PM

sq24 has much to be proud of
I just say forget all this no sense. Just mod the heck out of your xbox add watercooling and move on. As for as the Ps3 which you can also watercool I see them losing the console war. If it was not for the blu-ray drive the ps3 would be at the waste side. Which any hardcore pc guy/lady know I can go and buy a blu-ray driver at best buy for around 200 and guess what I can do alot more with that driver install into a pc case.
NOW the Wii on the other had is short and simple and is running over both console. Tigerwood 08 on the Wii is unreal I hate golf but put a Wii controller in my hands. OH yeah baby it on I AM screaming FORE!!!!!! until I lose my voice
Now the one thing that puts xbox over the top is xbox live. You mean to tell me I can get a game go on line and just totally lay the smack down onto someone. Are in rare times they do that to me and turn my day into a total lose. So in the end you have to wave the pros/cons on all three console. I myself will be on my fifth console but now with the price cuts and a true company best buy actually haveing a true warranty service plan. I will stay with the xbox.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Innovative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq24 View Post
I just say forget all this no sense. Just mod the heck out of your xbox add watercooling and move on.
Well, that does sound like fun, but... wait, what the hell am I saying? It's a console. The whole point of a console is that you just plug it in and go.

Quote:
As for as the Ps3 which you can also watercool...
But... that's the whole point isn't it? You don't need to water cool a PS3, it's fine as it is.

As for the whole console war "winner" thing, do you really feel ready to declare a winner at this point? If Microsoft can lose money year after year on a console, so can Sony. They're both huge, there's enough sales on both sides that I don't see either one giving up any time soon. Game developers either know how to make cross platform games, or are developing for PS3, or are wholly owned by Microsoft. Sure, by this time next year we might have a clear winner, but I doubt it, as developers will just have another year of practice at cross platform game development.

Anyway, that "war" keeps the prices down, so it's a win win situation as far as I'm concerned.