11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM

K1LLZ1LLA has much to be proud of
I just Cant get myself to buy another Failbox crap-60
A price drop is due out soon. and microsoft has talk of third party companies trying to make hardware that rids of RROD.

but even then i just cant seem to get myself to buy another 360. i have 2 friends who plays in MLG. and they both have had bout 3 to 5 360's in there lifetime. this is just ludacris. 33% means basically 1:3 Xbox 360's fail.

and did you know that Elites are starting to suffer from Overheating?

anyone else got opinions?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 PM

sq24 has much to be proud of
Well it not like the ps3 is any better. The sells are going down the tube in North America. I am already on my fourth one. if it breaks I will buy another one
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
I'd say get a 360 and just send it back if it dies. They replace them now so it's not as big of a deal as it used to be.

You could also pay the extra 50$ or so at Best Buy and get their replacement plan that lasts about 2 years. If it dies or screws up in any way you can just go back and get a new one no problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 PM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
I'm on system 3, had 2 RRoDs (system 3 and 4 if you count the one I bought my gf =P) yeah it sucks... but can't deny the pull of games and with them replacing them now, sure sucks your out of the game a few weeks but its better then fully buying new systems... between my 3 I've put in about $1500 (paid $700 on number 1 through ebay because I was shut out on pre-orders, $300 for my core and then $500 on my newer elite) had it running for over a year now and no issues thankfully.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Zero problems with my PS3 or Wii. Never owned a 360.

Although the 360 is known for overheats, be aware you will need to put any console in a ventilated area. You can't just stick it in a drawer, or cram it into a component case with 50 billion other things crammed up right next to it. Like any PC system, it needs to have adequate breathing room.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
Zero problems with my PS3 or Wii. Never owned a 360.

Although the 360 is known for overheats, be aware you will need to put any console in a ventilated area. You can't just stick it in a drawer, or cram it into a component case with 50 billion other things crammed up right next to it. Like any PC system, it needs to have adequate breathing room.
Oddly enough I think my PS3 would overheat if I gave it a chance, was a launch system got it vertical, the top plastic venting is almost malleable after a few hours of play =P put an Intercooler on it early though to help fight that.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Yeah, I've got a 1st gen model as well and they get really warm. They will overheat in those demo boxes if they aren't vented in the back.

I've been really tempted to pop it open and see if there are any cooling mods that can be done. (Like maybe add a fan? Change out thermal paste?) Never done that for a console though, so I wouldn't want to risk it.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
BUY A WII!!!!
Oh sure, we still can't say wii without giggling, or stop making jokes about "handling your wii" or "grasp you wii control firmly". But its silly and you love it, plus the games have better replay value that those on the sex box and gaystation 3 (best I can think of this early in the morning).

Besides, get super smash bros, and you can have all those great female toons at your beckon call, willing to do what ever you want (you know you LOVE it). Think about it.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
Yeah, I've got a 1st gen model as well and they get really warm. They will overheat in those demo boxes if they aren't vented in the back.

I've been really tempted to pop it open and see if there are any cooling mods that can be done. (Like maybe add a fan? Change out thermal paste?) Never done that for a console though, so I wouldn't want to risk it.
I did that for 360#2, went with a full cooling and case mod (in my pics, pretty ghost clear case with blue LEDs) but was for naught... still had a general hardware failure (RRoD). I wouldn't imagine the PS3 would be easy... but maybe after I'm done with MGS4 I'll crack 'er open =P
Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq24 View Post
Well it not like the ps3 is any better. The sells are going down the tube in North America. I am already on my fourth one. if it breaks I will buy another one
Wow, we're getting fanboi trolls already?

Sales:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06..._sales_may_08/

Dominated by the Wii, with the 360 lagging somewhat atm, though not enough to really be considered a trend.

Some PS3s have overheated, but as a "widespread problem" it continues to be what it has been all along, a rumor. PS3's, like Wii's, continue to have a failure rate under 3%. Sony continues to claim a 1% failure rate for the 40G PS3.

http://www.ps3vault.com/how-to-kill-a-ps3-console-1975

Shee. Facts are so boring, aren't they?

-- We're not the crazy ones! --