11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexisonline View Post
Does anyone know if/where I can get MGS as a written book/novel? Or even a hugely detailed plot synopsis? I read a short synopsis and was so disappointed when it was finished, best thing I've read in a while.
I'm pretty sure that there is no MGS book out in the western world, but there certainly might be in Japan. As for the story, it's something special indeed. I can understand that it's not as interesting if you jump into number 4 right away, you have no attachment to the characters. If you've been with the game since MGS1, or even since Metal Gear, you know them, you know the story and the twists. You recognize every single character in number 4, except for the few new ones which you quickly fall in love with because they all do their parts so incredibly well.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
There was though a book series in the late 80's early 90's on NES games.. I know at least Metal Gear and Ninja Gaiden was done... though that doesn't really help with how twisted the plots gotten now-a-days =P
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Alexisonline has much to be proud of
Guess I'll keep looking for a synopsis that's got a ton of detail then.

I played a lot of MGS4 today, and was fascinated by the cut-scenes, despite not entirely understanding them.

Definitely a droolworthy game.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 AM

DynamiteKyle has much to be proud of
Mgs3>mgs4>mgs>mgs2
Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteKyle View Post
Mgs3>mgs4>mgs>mgs2
I would almost have to agree here, while the story, the general feeling and the soundtrack of 3 was a bit better than in number 4, the advancements in gameplay in number 4 is what makes me place MGS4 at the top of that list.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Frankly, this game rocks.

Sure, the creator was stone cold on acid when he thought up the plot*, the gameplay elements are exactly the same as the previous MGS games and the cut-scenes are so incredibly common and long that if you're not into that kind of thing you'll be throwing out the game before it even starts.

But all of that does not change the fact that MGS4 is a truly epic game, with ultra-high production values, really cool bosses and combat/stealth gameplay honed to something that very closely resembles perfection.

It really feels like an interactive movie, and for once, that's a good thing. Rock on.

*: Especially that time he decided to revive pretty much every character that died in one of the previous games, each in a more rediculous way than the former.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM

Tyrant-on-Virus has much to be proud of
I own a copy my self, and have to agree with everything Sensational has said, it is the best game currently out on PS3 and rightly so. Nothing compares with such depth of story, epic gameplay, incredible visuals and all those little details that you only get from Metal Gear Solid and if you've been a fan of all of the previous games, then this will definately blow you away, so far, so quickly.

Sure it is more of an Interactive Film, much better than those damn games made after films like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings where your just playing out the little action sequences.
I don't see why so many people complain about the length of the cutscenes, you can quiet easily press start and skip them all if you don't want to watch them but to be fair, they are worth watching at least once.
I've got no problem with the little installing after each act, i'm happy to watch a fully rendered Snake smoke some cig's for 2 minutes at least.

The Boss fights are visually emense! But kind of a let down on how simple they are, and it isn't all that difficult to beat them, apart from Ocelot at the end on Extreme difficulty ( NOW, THAT is such a pain the arse!)

Such a Great story, it brings man tears to ones eye at the ending, it's so emotional on the last act aswell. (Shadow Moses Dock, where Snake just gives up faith, where Raien looks like he dies..when he dosen't, and the microwave corridor...it really dose burn )

MGO is really good, but pisses me off so bad because of the Lag, i think im at least 5 seconds behind everyone when i'm playing, it can get that bad but this is only recently, it used to be quiet good a connection. But now it sucks, yet im so tempted to buy the expansion pack!

Overall, i give it 10/10.

(Oh and a little reminder, Kojima specifically said that it isn't the end of the series, only the end of him directing/developing the games, he's going to sit back and yet the next generation take over, so don't give up hope! )
Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

zidane has much to be proud of
i loved metal gear too. its a cool game! i used to play metal gear 1 and 2 but i haven't see the 3 and 4
Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM

5wiftkill has much to be proud of
Personally, I love it. I had to wait before I could buy--or I would've had bought it the moment it came out--because my PS3 was broke. But now that I have it, I can't stop playing it, especially online.

I've been a MGS fan since 1999, when the first game of this installment came out in Europe (which was one year after Japan). Owning all the games of this saga, I have to say that MGS4 is one of the best, but not the best. I still prefer MGS2 when it comes down to story-wise, and MGS because it was the first game I played on the PSone. But of course, being made for the strongest consel up-to-date, MGS4 wins when it comes down to graphics and features.

The story is still strong in MGS4, but it sometimes feels a little rushed on some occastions. Even if this game is the longest of them all, I won't say it's because of the different zones you can play in, but because of the cutscenes. I don't mind them, really. But sometimes it feels like watching a movie, rather than playing a game. I don't know if it's true or not of what they say about some cutscenes being more than 40mins long, but it makes you lose the edge I get from playing.

I would review a little more if I had the time.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
I'm still impressed with how the could pack in over three games worth of loose ends in the story of the Metal Gear saga.