11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Retro Gaming

Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Zelda.
First to post in the retro section, and all I gotta say is ZELDA. Pure and simple. There were games before it, there were games after it. But it's the original Golden Cart of NES.

It was puzzling. It was LONG. I think it was the first game I ever played that wasn't intended to be beaten in one sitting. It was probably the best game I ever bought to this day. It was one game that me and my brother took turns playing, helped each other figure out the puzzles and stuff. It was the original farming game -- Spiders near the beach, Ghosts in the Graveyard, you wanted that blue ring and would stop at nothing to get that armor boost.

And when it was all said and done, and you conquered Gannon's ass, you had a nice sword held up by your character on the select screen, and it started all over again...much harder, everything mixed around. You had to relearn the game. And it was awesome.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 06-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast

AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community
Finding the Hearts was always my favorite part!!!

For a 2D game, Zelda was by far the best out there. I used to spend hours searching for the secrets on the different maps; I never went for time.... If they remade Zelda to a 3D MMORPG; I would probably have to give it a try.

But then again, I would even love to be able to have it on my Laptop!!!

"BabyDragon" (Its a Girl!!!) Inbound December 2008!!!!!
My Pets
Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Ya know, one time I had a fit of insomnia that lasted weeks, and instead of sleep I occupied myself with Ocarina of Time (it was on Gamecube in a collectors disk, but it was just a remake of the original.)

Let me tell you....I was absorbed. If they made an online version ...I'd probably never be heard from again.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Enthusiast

AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community
I love the classics; after all, I grew up with them. FF7 is my all time favorite game!!! Lately though, I have found a liking for the real time progression of my Avatars in the MMO's. I like the way I can make progress in my games, and have that progress saved. I like how I can redo the same area over again, and still get the XP and items for it. Single player games are nice at times though (Like on those trips without the internet, or when you are waiting for your MMO to update, etc....

I am currently in the market for a good single player game to kill time on. But Zelda....that would be nice to relive!

"BabyDragon" (Its a Girl!!!) Inbound December 2008!!!!!
My Pets
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community tommarrow is a paragon of the community
Definitely one of my favorites from the past. Many long hours playing it.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

Bostue is a jewel in the community Bostue is a jewel in the community
I still play The original game from time to time on my computer.
I would have to say it was the game that introduced me to an rpg world and its been downhill ever since.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
I never really liked Zelda, I don't know why. Probably because the first RPG I played was FF7, going back to play something like Zelda wasn't... it felt simplistic I think.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Savant

Bah -3 cool points on Sensational.

Zelda came with maps and you STILL had to figure everything out! It was a game of problem solving and exploration that was a big milestone for the action, adventure and RPG genres in the video game market.

Final Fantasy VII was the beginning of "Just sit back, watch this movie...eventually some fighting may go down. Oh, you've been following the storylines...so you haven't been leveling, so you die here. Go grind some levels, come back, watch the hours of plot again and have a go at the boss again...."

Gimme a sword, shield, and a boomerang and just let me at'em.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Jeemusu has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Jeemusu Send a message via MSN to Jeemusu Send a message via Yahoo to Jeemusu
Yeah, Zelda has got to be one of my favorites. Though the plot line doesn't vary all too often. It would be interesting to see more new main characters, possibly other playable characters. But the original model never failed. Zelda on the NES was the first RPG I ever played, and often, I find myself going back to it again and again. Its replayability is pretty high if you're able to go back to it maybe every 5 years.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_lazaro View Post
Final Fantasy VII was the beginning of "Just sit back, watch this movie...eventually some fighting may go down. Oh, you've been following the storylines...so you haven't been leveling, so you die here. Go grind some levels, come back, watch the hours of plot again and have a go at the boss again...."
You never had to grind in that game. Unless you wanted to do the extra content such as Omega Weapon and the KoTRT.

Zelda was easymode, FFVII was hardcore uber awesome lolzerface EPICBBQOMG.

Btw, I'm not talking about 2d Zelda, never played that. I'm talking about the first 3d Zelda.