11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 PM
gamerDNA Director of Community

Sanya is a paragon of the community Sanya is a paragon of the community Sanya is a paragon of the community Sanya is a paragon of the community
Babies and media?
When my better half gets home at night, he takes care of our four month old kid so I can do other things. Usually, he surfs the web with Little Man in his lap, or plays video games.

I noticed Little Man has started paying attention to the screen. I've read some stuff that says too much screen time prevents the creation of neural connections - something about the fast cuts and quick edits don't allow the sustained focus that the creation process requires.

That made me think of asking y'all:

How old were you when you started watching screens - TV, movies, games?
How well can you focus now?
Are all media equal in terms of what should be limited?
What do you do with your little people, if you have them?

FWIW, Little Man is now cut off from video games, but not from sitting on our laps while we're on the computer.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Our son LD watches hubby play. It's just light movement, he's only 2 months old...but he loves it!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Back when I was a kid, money was tight, so we never really sat around watching tv all day. We generally played with other kids, so damage from watching a lot of television didn't happen.

By comparison, my nephew has a terrible attention span, and he watches the television at close range (point blank range some times). Its a chore getting him to watch at the right range, and when he's playing he frequently switches from one toy to another, to another activity, to the original toy, back to wanting a story read to him.

I hope he grows out of it before he starts dating.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Heh, well I think this is going to be one of those 'if they weren't intelligent to begin with. . .' discussions.

My gaming career began at the age of five and it has helped me develop strong analytical skills that I apply in QA everyday. Quite honestly, I think studies like the one you read are bullshit and just because someone found correlation in their subjects -- the same does not apply to everyone. My own success story is very dependent on RL factors as well as how I formed problem-solving skills. That said, media influenced my preferences in entertainment; not behavior.

I think the toughest job for a parent is recognizing how their child learns and building on that foundation early. It will be the backbone for how they approach every situation in life.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 06-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Jamion is a jewel in the community Jamion is a jewel in the community
I think the Buddha said something to the extent of, "Moderation in all things". Or in other words to much of a good thing is bad. My parents didn't get a TV till I was around 8, don't ask me why because they have one in every room now. As far as watching TV and playing computers I have been watching TV since I was little going over Grandmas and staring at the boob tube for hrs on end, but while I was at home i spent a lot more time in my own imagination. Computers: I was introduced to as a child as well, got to know computers before TV really, playing Sim City and Minesweeper, the best they had at that time, since I was like 6. I didn't get into gaming in till I was in High School though. First 'real' game I ever played was Dark Forces, still love the story. I didn't really get into movies till Star Wars, at the age of 11. Before Star Wars most of what I watched revolved around my parents feeding me Disney crap, something that I dislike till this day. After Star Wars I became in thralled in the movie world.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I was pushed ahead in school and graduated over a year early from high school. I also graduated with a 3.6 from college and I am currently working on further education projects.

As far as limiting I refer back to the quote. Media should be limited, but as to how much and when it comes on a case by case analysis of the child, only something a parent can really determine for sure.

Right
Perception, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration
Last edited by Jamion : 06-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
How old were you when you started watching screens - TV, movies, games?
Arcade gaming at the age of 3 in the local mall, consoles when I turned 4. Can't really remember when I started watching TV.

Quote:
How well can you focus now?
I have no problems focusing, but once I figure something out it starts to bore me quickly. Take math for example, it requires repetition of the same formulas over and over too learn, wich means I get bored after the first few attempts. But I don't think that has anything to do with a lack of focus, I can game for hours!

Quote:
Are all media equal in terms of what should be limited?
Yeah absolutely, blood in movies and blood in games is the same thing, vulgar language in books is the same as vulgar language in music, and so on. Afaik no research has been made that has proven that interactive violence is worse for a developing brain then non-interactive violence. I would assume that the realistic movies are far worse then a game with cartoon blood.

Quote:
What do you do with your little people, if you have them?
Now now, that's personal.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast

Jamion is a jewel in the community Jamion is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Afaik no research has been made that has proven that interactive violence is worse for a developing brain then non-interactive violence.
Actually current studies by Harvard say that children that play more aggressive, not necessarily violent, video games are less likely to have aggression against other people because they have an outlet for their aggression through video games.

Right
Perception, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration
Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamion View Post
Actually current studies by Harvard say that children that play more aggressive, not necessarily violent, video games are less likely to have aggression against other people because they have an outlet for their aggression through video games.
Yeah I think I read that aswell, but then, violence and aggression is not neccessarily the same thing.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Yeah I think I read that aswell, but then, violence and aggression is not neccessarily the same thing.
Same here, there are those super kind people that if their limits are reached, they are even worse than the regularly "bad" ones, often leading to shootouts or bomb making.

Adding to the fact about never judge a book by its cover, even the most well-mannered people can be serial killers.

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Kitsunekurai has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sirov View Post
Adding to the fact about never judge a book by its cover, even the most well-mannered people can be serial killers.
I think that's very true, Sirov! Any one that's seen Dexter would agree.

As for the media influencing your kids... of course it will. But I think that parents have a larger influence and can trump what the media says. Looking back, though, I think we did have some sensorship on what we watched and what games we bought, but it was very....sly, i guess would be the best word. We never really noticed that it was sensored. We watched alot of tv and played alot of games, but we also had alot of family outings, hiking, walking, zoos, museums, whatever... and those are the things and times I remember most.. I think as longs as you quietly monitor what media your kids are exposed to, discuss things that may be a little "mature", and not really make things "taboo" your kids will generally not be that affected.

As for short attention... Growing up, I had no attention span what so ever, and I'm still easily bored, but short attention doesn't mean lack of intelligence. You can still have very smart, very successful kids with short attentions spans. And I'm not sure media had any influence on my attention span anyway.. my brother has an incredible attention span and he played more games and watched more tv than I did... so, I think it depends on the kid more than anything else.