11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM

lazor has much to be proud of
For those of you with your own websites? What software do you use?
I personally use phpBB3 for my forums, and I use MKPortal because of the simplicity and the forum integration.

What about everybody else?

My clan's website is www.stclan.net if anyone wants to look at it.
Last edited by lazor : 06-23-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
phpBB3 and a custom built page by somepage.com...not sure what they used to build it

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."
Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Zedar has set foot on a distinguished road
Custom page using ModX (sucks, btw) and SMF forums here... I used to use PhPBB, but we couldn't get rid of the bots. Image verification must work differently between the two because bots seemed to go right through PhpBB's verification without any problems.

We switched to SMF and created a custom theme... looks really nice imo.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Uh, I run Apache 2 with mod php 5 on FreeBSD 7. But that's not really what you meant, is it? I think you meant "forum or community-software".

If that's the case, the answer is Phorum. Because, frankly, if you install phpBB (or phpNuke or one of the other pieces of garbage software) it's like putting up a sign that says "Please deface my website and steal my user database. I also like long walks in the moonlight and bending over for Bubba."
'till you run out of cake.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

Zedar has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
"Please deface my website and steal my user database. I also like long walks in the moonlight and bending over for Bubba."
I lol'd!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Forums: SMF rocks (simplemachines.org?). Version 2 will have openid support, which is nice. Automatic update installers and such are also very nice, lots of mods. Not so easy to hack the look/feel but it's workable.

Content management: I used to use cmsmadesimple, but if you don't keep up on the latest patch you *will* get hacked. It's great otherwise. For static pages I usually stick to pure HTML+CSS< for active pages DOJO + JSON.

Wordpress totally rules, if you want to have a primarily blog-driven site. Or, say, a blog, but you can hack it to be sort of hybrid with static pages, so it really serves as a content management framework. I may try this for my new band site.

Well, that's what I'm doing anyway.

[edit] Oh, and phpnuke sorta sucks. [/edit]

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Drupal for content management, was using Wordpress for a bit but I needed something more on the general website side for some projects. As for actual web editing, I have a copy I use at work of Microsoft Expressions but to be honest TextPad has been getting more use out of me alongside Filezilla for FTP stuff.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
For my blog (http://www.QforQ.com) I use Wordpress which I really like.

For a website I used to run I used Drupal for the content management which I liked, though it had a huge learning curve. Joomla! was decent, which I tried before Drupal.

For forums I definitely suggest Simple Machines Forums, which is more secure than PHPBB. I've seen sites get hacked recently that had PHPBB because it's so insecure.

If you have the cash, though, I think you should go with vbulletin for the forums.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:07 AM

Lani is a jewel in the community Lani is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Lani
I tend to slap on a quick install of Joomla and take it from there. Do have to agree with Bishop's assessment on PhpBB these days. It's popular with low security and well documented holes in said security that most admins forget to patch when the patches come out. You get that with low-barred entry applications.
Not sure about the Bubba bit, that may just be Bishop's personal input. ;-P

Depending on what you want to do and how much freedom you want, a lot of freedom means a lot of responsibility for security and whatnot, you mioght be more inclined to go with any of the various free to bloody expensive hosting options where you don't have to worry about the security stuff but are somewhat limited in what you can and can't do.
Wordpress was already mentioned, there's also Blogger, and Google Pages and many LAMP site hosting parties.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM

Mitsuho has much to be proud of
I don't mind phpbb but I use an authentication and approval mod. SMF has a nice flash chat mod available.

Anyone try Pro Clan Manager or open CL?