11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Reimu has much to be proud of
Stepmania Info!
Like music games like DDR? Got some time?
Check out Stepmania!

Stepmania is more or less DDR on your PC.
Using your keyboard (or DDR pad that can be hooked up) you can play DDR with custom stepfiles (fan-made) and play to your heart's content.
You can also make your own stepmania themes and stepfiles.

It's pretty fun and can be played against other people via LAN.
You can see a bit of gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_D0k1LTA8

I suggest getting stepfiles from Bemanistyle

and

Themes from k//eternal

Please provide feedback on how much you liked or disliked Stepmania!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 AM

Cruor has much to be proud of
StepMania is great for getting into music games because of the wide variety available both in genre and difficulty. Most simfiles these days are more similar to Beatmania than DDR, although you can find packs of DDR songs if you look hard enough—they are great if you are having a hard time starting out with keyboard simfiles.

If you are looking for a good set of songs I recommend the Keyboard Megapack and the Community Keyboard Mega Pack (they are totally different). Also, definitely try out some of those k//eternal themes because they give you a bit more variety with speedmods. Use C-speeds if you are having trouble reading the steps, although be warned that a lot of people (who remind me of Comic Book Guy) consider them cheap.

There's also FlashFlashRevolution if you are looking for a more "plug and play" experience.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM

angelinalove12 has much to be proud of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_D0k1LTA8
it is really very quailty video.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
That's pretty cool. I've got two DDR pads, but I never use my PS2 anymore. Surely I could hack something together so that they'll work with my computer.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 AM

Singularity-Bubble has much to be proud of
I've been playing Stepmania for a few years now and can safely say that it's one of the best rhythm game emulators I've found with Frets on Fire (Guitar Hero Clone) coming in a close second. As the previous posters stated, their is a wide range of difficulties available for hardcore DDR players, so if the retail games just are not packing enough of a punch for you anymore, or you'd like to dance to something other than club music, then Stepmania is just the next step in your natural evolution as a rythm gamer.

One thing I'll say upfront, is that if you're a n00b to DDR then Stepmania is pretty unforgiving as most of the stepfile packs are made for pros, especially the ones you'll find posted all over the net. But there are some packs that might be doable for you, search for things like "Anime Simfile Pack" or "Video Game Music Simfile Pack" to get some easy fun.

The settings are kinda hard to tweak to your liking but once it's done I'll be damed if you can't just upload this game into your own arcade cabinet.
Last edited by Singularity-Bubble : 02-18-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: removed stupid joke :-P
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM

firewallfail has much to be proud of
Hey I just started a group for people wanting to get together and share ideas about Stepmania. If anyone wants to join you can go to http://stepmaniaaddiction.gamerdna.com/join and the pass word is "clubmed7". It was a password that a teacher used to use in my high school whenever we needed our passwords reset. If you're looking for songs, themes, or any other Stepmania mods this is the place for you. Stepmania's an amazing game and I think we should share that message with the world.
Last edited by firewallfail : 04-08-2009 at 03:59 PM.