11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 AM

Toriac is community member of note
Achaea
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this game... I thought it was one of the popular MUDs out there. I played it for a while but then a game came out (It's been a long time) and I completely forgot about it for while and lost my character due to being inactive. I didn't really care to start over, but it was a great game if you like MUDs.

http://www.achaea.com/main.html
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM

Eternia-Star has much to be proud of
I used to play. My main was shrubbed and I cannot find out why

However my Druid is still active. I might go on with him sometime.

...My main was an Occultist.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Toriac is community member of note
I used to play a priest and a paladin. They seemed to have a nice community at the time and they were really great at role-playing. I loved to just listen to them. I also played... hrm, not a druid, but the other one that had groves... I can't seem to remember the name. Anyway, they were also very fun to be around. Expecially when I first started and I met some of the high levels, I actually felt like I was in the presence of someone that was powerful.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 PM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
I just joined, and loving it so far.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Famous Member

Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence
I've been itching for a an immersive rpg lately (I've even considered going back to pen and paper rpgs) and I ran across this one. I think I'm going to give it a try
Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Enthusiast

Tagon is a cornerstone of the community Tagon is a cornerstone of the community Tagon is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via MSN to Tagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toriac View Post
I used to play a priest and a paladin. They seemed to have a nice community at the time and they were really great at role-playing. I loved to just listen to them. I also played... hrm, not a druid, but the other one that had groves... I can't seem to remember the name. Anyway, they were also very fun to be around. Expecially when I first started and I met some of the high levels, I actually felt like I was in the presence of someone that was powerful.
Depending on how long ago it was it may have been sentinels (who no longer have groves) or more recently Sylvan. As you may be able to tell I played a lot a long time ago. Since I bought credits my character will be around as long as the game is. I long into him every once in awhile, but no one I knows plays any more and it is hard to play a MUD with out the people that made the MUD great
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Simmer

Most entertaining. shame my job had to call me away before I got more involved. ( wimpers...No fair)
Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 AM

zetathompson has much to be proud of
Ahh the game interested me but there were too many things that bugged me about it. For an RPG MUD i saw very little roleplaying, usually just sniping or cybering. Too much spam in most place for my liking and the exp system seems to really not be built for groups which is one way to start rp.

things i liked: there is a LOT of detail in the world. character classes are pretty well balanced and lots for a player to do with their character. As a matter of fact it could take years to max out a character and explore it all I think.

So quick answe is yes I played it, no I do not anymore and while i met some cool people, there were more that i found just too annoying to continue with the MUD
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 AM

MyLittlePlushie has much to be proud of
Other members of GamerDNA reminded me of the EXISTENCE of MUDs (Gosh its been a long time) and I started playing one I've never played before... Today! I started a vicious froggy Serpent and after a few hours of play, I'm thrilled to be MUDding again!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM

nickpick has much to be proud of
I'd just like to point out that the game is everything but "free". Unless you toss in good 300~800 bucks into it, you're pretty much on your own. It's theoretically possible to play without credits, but it's like a kitchen-knife competing in cutting logs against a chainsaw. I've played the game for good two years before I quit and, overall, it's not a bad game, however, if you through that monthly subscriptions for mainstream MMOs were expensive, think again. Most players will confirm this.

The problem with Achaea is that you need the so-called "credits" in order to advance, and you need a lot of them. You can either buy them yourself, with real money that is, or you can buy them from other players. The second option is all right, but mind you, you'll eventually get pretty fed up with the fact that some 3-day-old characters are 1800% stronger than your 3-year-old veteran self.

The golden rule in Achaea is: If you want to be good in any aspect of the game, buy credits from the developer. This applies for PvE, PvP, Crafting (which is partially way more expensive than everything else), leading shops, buying housing and, ironically enough, your chances to get into leadership positions. As for the later, it's often the case that some "charitable" members give out free potions and expect you to vote for them in the next election; most people do.

To conclude, if you want to spend a LOT of money on Achaea (we're typically talking about hunders of dollars here), go on, you'll probably love it. If you just want to play a free MUD, check www.topmudsites.com . I quite like Armageddon for its heavy RP (but it has permanent death, which might be a turn off) but I hear that Aardwolf and Carrion Fields are good too.

Hope this helps.

PS: Oh... and the admins are arseholes too. Excuse the expression.