11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakiv View Post
MUSHs, in this context, are basically roleplaying environments, where as a MUD is closer to an MMO. Basically, in a MUSH, you'll be interacting entirely with other people and not with NPCs (although they may be NPCs controlled by people). Generally, coded systems are kept to a minimum, although many MUSHs I've seen make use of tabletop roleplaying systems - like the Star Wars MUSHs tend to use West End Games Star Wars RPG, where you perform skill checks to do certain actions, but there's nothing built in to automate stuff and say if you succeeded. Generally, you aren't being awarded for killing things either, like you usually are in a MUD.

A MUCK would be closer to Second Life, I'd think, in that they're focused around allowing players to build objects/areas/etc...
Ah, I see. I guess MUDs are for me then. Thanks for clearing the air

Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Katrar has much to be proud of
Yes, MUDs are more "stat" and "game" oriented. MUSHes are more "story" and "roleplay" oriented. That's not to say that there are not RP driven MUDs (though they are generally rare), nor that there aren't "stat" and "game" driven MUSHes. Most of the MUSHes I played back in the day had very well developed character and combat systems imported from popular table top RPGs. Some have even had advanced flight and travel code allowing 3D spatial starship combat in real time. So while the codebases can be defined, those definitions are not ironclad.

And its cool to see some old SW:MC names, I recognize them and that's kind of scary after all these years. =)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Circe has much to be proud of
Tracer from SW1 here. Also dabbled on SW:MC, SW2, SW: Ways of the Forc, & the two break-offs from SW1.