11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
Get Prey this weekend
Steam has Prey for $5 this weekend only. This is a game I always wanted to play but never put time or money into it. Here's why you might want to get it:

Presentation 9.0
Strong characters and dialog, and all-around high production values.

Graphics 9.0
The ambitious scale alone garners Prey accolades, but the art design and attention to detail seal the deal.

Sound 9.0
The music and sound are quite good, but it's probably the voice acting and ambience that carry the weight here.

Gameplay 9.0
The AI isn't so sharp, but the puzzles, story, and scope of the environment add some compelling elements.

Lasting Appeal 8.0
It's on the short side, and one additional difficulty level won't make you scream for more; mutliplayer, however, carries over Prey's crazy level design ideas.

Outstanding OVERALL 9.0
(out of 10 / not an average)

Translation: Art design.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
You know, I tried this game out and just didn't like it. The map design is so damn linear, you might as well be walking down a straight road. Early puzzles involve using your body to push an explosive 'thing' to blocked passages or using out of body experiences to get past forcefields (that Indian chanting couldn't be more annoying). Like BioShock, it's absolutely impossible to 'lose', so if you're looking for a challenging FPS see Far Cry. About the only interesting element added to the genre is the wall-walking, which quickly loses its appeal after you learn that jumping causes the character to resume normal gravity (and some fun back-tracking -_-).

IGN is a terrible source for reviews despite this title garnering high marks around the net. Honestly, I don't really understand all the praise for such a lackluster title, but I guess you really can't go wrong for $5 can you?

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
You know, I tried this game out and just didn't like it. The map design is so damn linear, you might as well be walking down a straight road. Early puzzles involve using your body to push an explosive 'thing' to blocked passages or using out of body experiences to get past forcefields (that Indian chanting couldn't be more annoying). About the only interesting element added to the genre is the wall-walking, which quickly loses its appeal after you learn that jumping causes the character to resume normal gravity (and some fun back-tracking -_-).

IGN is a terrible source for reviews despite this title garnering high marks around the net. Honestly, I don't really understand all the praise for such a lackluster title, but I guess you really can't go wrong for $5 can you?
Half Life 2 is considered extremely linear and yet they accomplish so much within these bounds. Expanding your bounds doesn't automatically mean your game is novel and same goes with restriction. As for the puzzles... sure beats bioshock's puzzles.

From what I've witnessed, Prey cares about art design like inserting the artistic qualities found in movies and putting them into the interactive gameplay ie not into just cut-scenes but actual gametime... hence the highly regarded level of ambiance and voice.

It's kind of a new experience, that's why I'm playing it. And I found the IGN review much in line with my understanding of the game when I played the demo. I don't mind IGN too terribly, the best Portal review I've read came from there.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Ok, by linear I meant strolling down catwalks with railings 50% of the time. As for puzzles, at least BioShock challenged my reflexes and not my ability to stay awake.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
Ok, by linear I meant strolling down catwalks with railings 50% of the time. As for puzzles, at least BioShock challenged my reflexes and not my ability to stay awake.
Bioshock's treasure hunting was not that great but I accepted it. Basically, every room you entered was dimly lit and filled with shiny objects to find and loot. It's just a filler, like the simple hacking minigame. Bioshock's real success was in art design, heh.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
I played Prey, and I had fun with it. Nothing spectacular, but I finished it...which I can only say for less than 1/3 of the games I play. If you happen to have $5 and a few hours to spare, that sounds like a good offer.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:42 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Bioshock's art and setting was great, but even not counting those things the game was still a lot of fun. I enjoyed the levels, the weapons, the story, etc.

I think Bioshock's real success was the story telling. That seems to be what everyone talks about at least
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
Bioshock's art and setting was great, but even not counting those things the game was still a lot of fun. I enjoyed the levels, the weapons, the story, etc.

I think Bioshock's real success was the story telling. That seems to be what everyone talks about at least
Yeah I still haven't finished Bioshock simply because I must first replay the beginning 4 hours of play and personally a lot of Bioshock to me is a cinematic experience rather than interactive, and I don't like watching a movie twice back to back hence my delay with the game. I'm looking forward to the day I finally work up to where I left off, that and of course I look forward to the day 2k announces a Bioshock MMO (fingers).
Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
The opening in the bar is the best start to a FPS I have ever seen, some other moments which I wont spoil were pretty cool too. The game isnt perfect but for $5 its easily worth checking out. I loved the level design and I found it less claustrophobic than bioshock and way less restrictive than doom3.

Just because the game lets you respawn after death doesnt mean you have to go get yourself killed and I kinda like not having to replay the last 20 minutes because I fell off a ledge etc.

I'm not a fan of deathmatch but the use of portals in prey dm maps gave it a nice twist.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorbis View Post
Just because the game lets you respawn after death doesnt mean you have to go get yourself killed and I kinda like not having to replay the last 20 minutes because I fell off a ledge etc.
No auto save is inconvenient. Saving is a simple task but forgetting means a costly replay. I had to replay 4 hours of Bioshock, but that's a different case and involved getting my own gamertag, but it still sucks pretty bad.