11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Source/HL2 Multiplayer Mods that rock.
I know there was already some talk in a different thread about CS vs CS:S that degenerated into everyone's input on what they liked better than CS....so I figured I'd start a different thread to keep it relevant and also to see what else people play or have enjoyed.

I know TF2 is the biggie Source multiplayer game right now, but I was wanting to look at the non-commercial games/mods that have appealing multiplayer. I recently reinstalled HL2 after playing the CoD4 demo and realizing I'm not really on a system ready for its multiplayer aspect at this time.

I've always been a fan of Team Fortress, and I'm considering getting TF2 but this weekend I sat down and played Fortress Forever.

It doesn't have the server population TF2 does, but I've found it to be very enjoyable and feel more satisfied with it than I was with TFC for the original Half Life. They've kept the standard Team Fortress feel, and brought back some game play modes and features that TFC had that TF2 doesn't. It moves at a very quick pace, the maps are well designed and no single class seems to dominate the field. I think if this would've beaten TF2's launch by a few months, it would have had a solid community.

Another one I keep coming back to is Dystopia.

It's a cyberpunk team-based mod focussed on Assault-style objectives. It's pretty cut throat, and has a pretty sharp learning curve. I've played it off and on for a year and I'm still pretty noob at it; but I love the setting and the team dynamics.

Right now I'm downloading Insurgency....I'll report back my findings later but it appears to be a pretty solid modern warfare mod from the Youtube vids.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
PVK II sounds ambitious but my basic conjecture would be it's uniqueness will be too rudimentary, for my tastes anyhow. If you play/hear of a mod that tries hard to deliver something fresh in a really presentable way, let me know pls everything gets overdone with me too fast!

oh btw, check out this link for PVK II beta 2.0 if you haven't heard much about it yet.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
It's too bad this mod never saw a source release and died with 1.6. It was huge in Germany and I played it religiously when CSS turned out to be awful.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Dystopia is probably my favourite HL2 mod so far. Fortress Forever is great but it had THE WORST TIMED RELEASE EVER. Empires has great potential but still needs a lot of work, check it out if the idea of an FPS/RTS hybrid interests you at all. Synergy is pretty good with some good maps out and it seems to be shaping up to be HL2's svencoop. Insurgency seems a good mod but it just wasn't for me. I've never played Zombie Panic but it seems to be popular.

If you don't mind HL1 mods then you should try out Natural Selection if you haven't before.

Gary's Mod isn't free any more but it has some really weird multiplayer servers.

I can't wait for Left4Dead .
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

Thrashermad is a jewel in the community Thrashermad is a jewel in the community
Nobody here has mentioned Zombie Panic: Source? Blasphemy!

I also like Dystopia and PVK2 alot but my favorite is definitely ZP:S.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Insurgency's graphics blew me out of the water but the pacing isn't my cup of tea. It's slower than CS:S; and while it does have some good gun fight moments...the server pop right now just isn't up to par with what it could be. It's getting a temporary deletion but I'm gonna follow it because it could easily become a big thing.

One thing that I am loving about Fortress Forever right now is the community for it. I've played across a few servers this weekend and it seems a lot of the big clans for it (especially e0 I've noticed) being really good about welcoming in newbies to the game, lending advice and even swapping teams around to keep things balanced and properly teach the game.

Dystopia has a few shining folks like this, but in all honest the best way you're gonna learn that game is leave your self esteem at the door, hop in and get ready to die...a lot. And get ready for a lot of shit talkers. But once you can hang, it's really fun charging the assaults on that game.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thrashermad is a jewel in the community Thrashermad is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorbis View Post
Wow lmfao.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Savant

I broke down and bought the Orange Box last night.
TF2 was both better and worst at the same time than I had hoped for...if that makes any sense. I can understand the bunny hopping nerfs but the lack of grenades threw me for a loop. There's also been some design changes that at times I loved and at other times I was like WTF WERE THEY THINKING!?

Like the roofing over the bridge on 2Forts...and watching the soldiers and scouts use it to leap up on to the sniper decks and slaughter the nest. It's a different spin and changes the strategy of the map quite a bit.

Still, helluva big population there vs. Fortress Forever. They both get to stay for different moods.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

Well you could rocket or conc jump to the sniper deck in TFC so I dont see it as much different . The grenades thing I found weird too but the demoman still has a lot of spam if thats what you like . There's a lot of custom maps out for TF2 and while some are rubbish others are pretty good and have more of a TFC feel with more large open spaces etc.