11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
Obviously I need to give shooters another shot - sounds like the storytelling has come a long way.

As I said in the other thread, though, the WASD/mouse movement is really hard for me. Jump puzzles are totally out of the question for the time being. And my reflexes are crappy. If I'd ever had decent reflexes I wouldn't have taken up D&D, you know?
If yo uhave PS3 and want something different from RPG/MMORPG and want a good story based twitch without the mindless FPS'in, you should really try God Of War II or Heavenly Sword.

gaming news
Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Hmm I'm not sure how good Portal would be because it sounds like you have motion sickness but if it doesn't make you sick then it's probably a good game to learn wasd/jumping on as most of the game is really just a tutorial. Orange box is the best value-for-money package out atm. Also if you play TF2 choose the Heavy class and you don't need to aim .
Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
gamerDNA Director of Community

Sanya is a paragon of the community Sanya is a paragon of the community Sanya is a paragon of the community Sanya is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorbis View Post
Also if you play TF2 choose the Heavy class and you don't need to aim .

You guys are great. I particularly appreciate hearing the reasoning behind your choices - a lot of the time, recommendations come with the reasoning "because I thought it was awesome." That's great and all, but it's hard to win converts that way.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
You guys are great. I particularly appreciate hearing the reasoning behind your choices - a lot of the time, recommendations come with the reasoning "because I thought it was awesome." That's great and all, but it's hard to win converts that way.
Now, you have to reciprocate by telling us what game you ended up choosing, and how it worked out.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Quik_Draw has much to be proud of
If you are talking single player, I would suggest (If you haven't already) you try Any of the Elder Scrolls games, i.e. Morrowind or Oblivion Oblivion especially, for me)...The beauty of them is the rich environments and overall gameplay feel of an MMO, but, once into the quests, they become FPS as you advance your character through the skill levels and objectives of the quests...The games are timeless for me and I never grow old on them, they also have an ENDLESS array of available quests and the order you do them in influences everything around how the game plays out adding to the multitude of possiblilites for how it all ends, save for the main storyline...

I am a huge fan and avid player of the Bethesda Elder scrolls 3 and 4 games and they combine the best of MMO play with FPS gameplay, seemlessly merged into one huge beautifully crafted environment with enough detours and specifics to keep you going with a single character for six months...EASILY...depending on the amount of time you spend playing games and how closely you want to keep to the main story...AWESOME...They would be decent transition games to get your skills some work on both sides of the fence, there are some riddle quests as well, so, puzzles and figuring how to activate something and open dungeon doors is in there as well...Great stuff, IMHO...

EDIT...Not really a "SHOOTER" per se, more of swords, daggers, bows and arrows, hurling magic casts, but, FPS in the sense of warfare in some cases...
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
She asks for a FPS and you say Oblivion... You truly are rich...
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem. View Post
She asks for a FPS and you say Oblivion... You truly are rich...
If you use a bow and magic all the time, it kinda is a shooter though, with some RPG elements thrown in...
Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Quik_Draw has much to be proud of
Thanks, didn't know someone was nominated forum patrol...I did call out that it was primarily RPG, but had the feel of FPS once actually into the quests...Maybe the transition between the two styles is subtle enough in Oblivion for her to get a feel for FPS gaming without having to stray too far from her comfort zone in RPGs...See, richer than I have to explain to some...
Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
The Oblivion FPS elements are too shallow and IMO require more skill than some of the more watered down true shooters. Most shooters don't calculate flight-time of the round whereas Oblivion requires the player to lead targets and arc their release. I think if anything it would be more frustrating for a newer FPS player.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM

tehSaint has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Honestly, Half Life 2 and the Episodes that follow are by far my favorite FPS titles up to date. I just love the setting and the story, not to mention the gameplay, so I would strongly recommend that you start there. Not sure if they would be considered hard, I usually don't think about that in singleplayer games since I've been playing shooters since I was 3.
Have to totally agree here. You should get the Obox and if you ever feel like taking on real folks...TF2 is a very "noob" friendly FPS. Check it out! GL & HF!