11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Shameless Self Promotion: An NWoD/Cyberpunk mod
Alright, it's far from fancy, but I wanted to share for anyone who's interested in it:

I've written a basic set of home-brewed rules and ideas for creating Cyberpunk-themed characters using the World of Darkness Storytelling System. They're not specific to any setting, nor do they flesh out a lot of details aside from basic cyberwear augmentations. I just wanted to come up with a sort of "bare-bones" guide line that could work for anyone wanting to run games in their own versions of the "dark near future".

They can also mesh with the rest of World of Darkness, so if you want cyber samurai shooting it out with Zombies or vampire Net Runners, sure knock yourself out.

You can find my project page here:
http://vague.digitalchantry.com/blog/?page_id=19

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Eikinskialdi is a cornerstone of the community Eikinskialdi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Eikinskialdi Send a message via MSN to Eikinskialdi Send a message via Yahoo to Eikinskialdi Send a message via Skype™ to Eikinskialdi
Hmm think i may print this out at work and run a trial series with it, big fan of both worlds. And we'll be running Vampire again in a few weeks.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
LOL If it gets dropped off today, it's cuz we're upgrading our web hosts to a much bigger, yet cheaper host.
Figures someone checks it out on shuffle day lol.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Eikinskialdi is a cornerstone of the community Eikinskialdi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Eikinskialdi Send a message via MSN to Eikinskialdi Send a message via Yahoo to Eikinskialdi Send a message via Skype™ to Eikinskialdi
Lol i can hang on a few days, we ain't moving back to WoD for 3 weeks, and it'll be a few more after that before my Peons can afford that stuff It'll be good to try out though, although if someone makes a Gangrel wolverine i'm gonna be pissed
Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Savant

I'll be honest I have yet to have tried any of those rules with the Vamps...just ran a few shots of pure cyberpunk using the system for rules.

What I was eventually wanting to work towards was mixing Second Sight's low-magic psychic and Voodoo stuff in for a screwed up sort of chronicle. Of course, I have the one player who is BEGGING to play a vampire in it...I may make some exceptions.

Glad someone has an interest in it; I posted it on a NWoD fan forum and nobody took a looking. I'd like to add a couple more things (not sure exactly what though) before posting on the WW forums...I don't really feel like getting into defending a few nights insomnia's work to die-hards who think any fan project should be of equal quality as the print, official products (And I've witnessed these types before.)

Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

Well i'm thinking of merging it into a post-Gehenna setting on Vamp the Masquerade, might even try a few Shadowrun style things to allow for Mages and Werewolves etc that survived it all going tits up, not sure yet. The few survivors (mostly higher generations as the older vamps would have been snacked on by the antediluvians) have tried to establish themselves in the ruins. The Camarilla and Sabbat are disguised as large corporations hiding from the moral populace etc so they think that Vampires are all dead etc.

Gonna have a think on it, and i'll let you know if i can think of anything you might wanna add
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Aye, looking forward to trying it out. I shall endeavour to poke holes in rules, find loopholes, and generally abuse the system to the best of my advantage (as any good roleplayer should do).
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikinskialdi View Post
Well i'm thinking of merging it into a post-Gehenna setting on Vamp the Masquerade, might even try a few Shadowrun style things to allow for Mages and Werewolves etc that survived it all going tits up, not sure yet. The few survivors (mostly higher generations as the older vamps would have been snacked on by the antediluvians) have tried to establish themselves in the ruins. The Camarilla and Sabbat are disguised as large corporations hiding from the moral populace etc so they think that Vampires are all dead etc.

Gonna have a think on it, and i'll let you know if i can think of anything you might wanna add
Are you still doing this with the NWoD rules set? I'm not sure how much the old rules could benefit from it.

Of course, you could easily say the 5 clans of Requiem are the survivors reloaded. Gangrel and Ventrue remain pure lines, but the rest are like some kind of weird hybrid clans that emerged at the end. Also, the way Generation is suddenly replaced with blood potency makes sense....out from under the curse of their ancestors, they now have the ability to feed and grow in power themselves.

Werewolves on the other hand...yikes. Love the new and old Werewolf to death, but cross over is scary. Two VERY different beasts.

Of course, I suppose there's the scrap all lore/archetypes and just re write in the new rules :P

As for things I might wanna add -- there's A LOT I wanted to do.
Time to do it, however, is the problem.
It was an ambitious project out the door..in the end I confess I simplified things just to give people a running start and keep it loose for their own creative endeavors.

EDIT:
PS -- You punk! I spent my entire commute to work today pondering how Requiem could be used for a post Gehenna.
I'm seeing the Sabbat, since they were right about the Antedelluvians, forming "Churches" to the Children of Cain and creating a new blasphemy..instead of a mockery of Catholicism, maybe a Mockery of Scientology and its corporate style setup.....

And maybe, in a cyberpunk setting, the works of Dr. Netchurch could loosely inspire the remaining Camarilla members to maybe bring Vampirism as a "condition" and receive some tolerance from the public. Less hiding their existance, more just being quiet about having it but having some tolerance, and fear, and teenage girls looking for trouble. Good times, good times.

Last edited by rev_lazaro : 05-01-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

Planning on trying it out with a few different things actually, but yeah i will be running it with nWoD soon as i can get my players heads around playing Masquerade properly (they don't seem to have gotten the Masquerade bit, and run around like a bunch of Sabbat cannon fodder )
Then i plan to move on to Requiem, as they are too into the clan stereotypes at the moment, i'd like to shake it up a little

Actually yeah i had the idea of the Sabbat expanding on cults etc, taking advantage of 'Judgement Day' types who had survived the end times. Your idea of a new blasphemy is a good one! I'd not thought properly about how to incoporate the Camarilla into, it'd be a lot more shaken up by it all than the Sabbat, not being as prepared for it all. I guess they'd have to play on public sympathy after being revealed, as they'd have little enough power to fight back. So yeah, you could have Netchurch as a pawn, coming up with the idea to increase Cam numbers. That would actually be a good thing to do with PC's actually in the setting, as the labrats

I've stayed away from Forsaken, mainly because i love the Fianna clan so much in Werewolf: the Apocalypse. It would be fun to play around with, although i can imagine a lot of angry werewolves if one turned up with implants

Glad i managed to give you something to occupy your commute Still having a bit of a mix and match, i can make it fit in Masquerade i think for sure, and then at least they'll be familiar with something in requiem, cos they won't have a clue otherwise
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikinskialdi View Post
Planning on trying it out with a few different things actually, but yeah i will be running it with nWoD soon as i can get my players heads around playing Masquerade properly (they don't seem to have gotten the Masquerade bit, and run around like a bunch of Sabbat cannon fodder )
Then i plan to move on to Requiem, as they are too into the clan stereotypes at the moment, i'd like to shake it up a little

Actually yeah i had the idea of the Sabbat expanding on cults etc, taking advantage of 'Judgement Day' types who had survived the end times. Your idea of a new blasphemy is a good one! I'd not thought properly about how to incoporate the Camarilla into, it'd be a lot more shaken up by it all than the Sabbat, not being as prepared for it all. I guess they'd have to play on public sympathy after being revealed, as they'd have little enough power to fight back. So yeah, you could have Netchurch as a pawn, coming up with the idea to increase Cam numbers. That would actually be a good thing to do with PC's actually in the setting, as the labrats

I've stayed away from Forsaken, mainly because i love the Fianna clan so much in Werewolf: the Apocalypse. It would be fun to play around with, although i can imagine a lot of angry werewolves if one turned up with implants

Glad i managed to give you something to occupy your commute Still having a bit of a mix and match, i can make it fit in Masquerade i think for sure, and then at least they'll be familiar with something in requiem, cos they won't have a clue otherwise

May I have permission to write up my own take of these ideas? If I post them I'll totally give you credit for inspiring it. If anything, could be fun to see two different twisted versions of the same concept.

As for werewolves and implants....the Fianna would be angry, but the Glasswalkers would probably sign up. Depends how you want to view the whole Wyrm taint business.

Gah, there's an old forum discussion now lost to the ages where we discussed concepts expanding on Cyberpunk themes with old WoD stuff. My favorite ideas included:

->Technocracy won, and it exploded in their face as with people accepting science can do anything, Virtual Adepts seemed to become a regular occurence.

->The Giovanni found a way to implant Wraiths in the data nets. This was my favorite idea, because the concept screamed awesome from a Gibson-esque stand point.

->Werewolves lost their war, the Wyrm conquered, and the Garou Nation was no more. The very few remaining became Guerilla warriors in fringe societies of eco terrorists and urban primitives.