Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 AM

Reimura has much to be proud of
I tried this game, and i still prefer the old Homeworld series:
Homeworld
Homeworld Cataclysm
Homeworld 2
Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Sanguineus is a jewel in the community Sanguineus is a jewel in the community
I played this game and I think it's decent. I especially loved the diplomacy between computers. Kill this guy and we'll stop killing you. Give us money and we'll consider trading with you. The pirate bounty is also very nice, a covert way to hit your opponent, if you can afford it. Those are the bonuses.
In the end, the combat came down to capital ships and numbers. Very little strategy in my opinion. The vastness of the biggest system map made for overall strategy, but not in a planetary fight. The tech tree is interesting but nothing too special.
In terms of what's been released for RTS lately, I'd say it's a great game, but there haven't been many noteworthy games in a while...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Zelu is community member of note
My only gripe for the game is, there's no Campaign!!!

It was all there. They had a backstory, a beginning movie, three diverse factions and they did nothing else! After I installed the game and watched the beginning cutscene I was all pumped up to step into the Galaxy and pull the TEC outta it's mess...but then nope. I believe that they are in the progress of making a story-mode, but it's still in debate whether it will be a Patch or Expansion (pfft, it'll be an expansion).

Oh well good game regardless.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM

SkyMonkey has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelu View Post
My only gripe for the game is, there's no Campaign!!!

It was all there. They had a backstory, a beginning movie, three diverse factions and they did nothing else! After I installed the game and watched the beginning cutscene I was all pumped up to step into the Galaxy and pull the TEC outta it's mess...but then nope. I believe that they are in the progress of making a story-mode, but it's still in debate whether it will be a Patch or Expansion (pfft, it'll be an expansion).

Oh well good game regardless.
Totally agree here, I found the play itself OK (Not fantastic, there were issues, but it was good), but there was a total lack of anything around it!

With the gameplay itself being just OK, I really didn't find enough in it to keep interest, really 2 or 3 rounds and you've seen the tech trees and discovered which strategies work and which don't, then it's pretty much all over.

So it was a bit of fun, but massively flawed from that angle and didn't last long before it got the dreaded uninstall to free up some space.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
As a fan of RTS like Medieval 2, Command and Conquer, and Star Wars Empire at War - would you guys recommend this game to me?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:04 AM

SkyMonkey has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran View Post
As a fan of RTS like Medieval 2, Command and Conquer, and Star Wars Empire at War - would you guys recommend this game to me?
Would depend a little, it's much slower-paced than any of them, more about large overall strategy, with a lot of the old 4X thrown in.

Probably best not to think of it on the same terms as those more pure hands-on fast paced RTS games. If you liked Master of Orion, Galactic Civilisations and friends and don't mind a slower paced RTS?

I noticed you mention Medival 2, haven't played it myself but if it's similar to earlier ones that might be a good one to have in mind as you look at it. The "RTS" aspect of the battles is much more along the slower pace of the earlier games I did play in the Total War series (Though perhaps even slower), those more big scale tactical ones, really nothing like C&C or even Age of Empires.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

Dark-Crenshaw has much to be proud of
Agree with everyone else in here, it feels like a good game for "turtles" but at the end, like someone said before me, if you have caps with a swarm of support ships you can break those defenses. The TEC faction is very good for a first frigate rush but only in small maps. The "spread culture/influence" feature is a nice way to win the hearts and minds from other planets, just spam their airwaves with pr0n and beer commercials and they will be yours to ensalve.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM

thatgirlhatesyou is a jewel in the community
I've never played the Homeworld series but I did love this game. "simplistic yet not" if that makes sence.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 AM

Zelu is community member of note
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...r-solar-empire

Well it's been confirmed that an expansion is coming out for the game, no date set but the CEO did say they would include a Campaign.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:37 PM

JZXH has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelu View Post
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...r-solar-empire

Well it's been confirmed that an expansion is coming out for the game, no date set but the CEO did say they would include a Campaign.
Thanks for the info mate.
I was hoping for a SoSE expansion.
And a campaign.
Two birds with one stone

As for original SoSE: one of the best, most engaging, most fun, and slowest RTS's I've ever played.
No game has ever delivered as well in the "spaceship battles" category than SoSE did.

Quote:
I tried this game, and i still prefer the old Homeworld series:
Homeworld
Homeworld Cataclysm
Homeworld 2
Okay, I change my mind. SoSE is second best. But only because I get way too caught up on nostalgia.

~tclax2