11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Yeah, you can play LAN or Internet via whatever match-making service it is they are using. There's a chat-type lobby for arranging games, and then you just make a game, invite some people and/or computer players and off you go.

As far as I can tell, they may have intended to make some kind of automatic match-making service and/or ladder play, but there is none at the moment.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence
What do you think of this game so far Bishop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
It seems all of your posts are non-constructive, ill-conceived, bashings. One could argue that with your belief of time being pretty darn valuable, maybe you should go outside and build a fort or do some community service rather than waste it as you are now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenala View Post
Arkane, don't argue or fight with Klat. He's too awesome.
Also, he's sexier than you.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Ack. My apologies. I *was* writing a blog entry on the thing, but then I got away from it and never got around to picking it up again.

Hm. I'm not sure I'll ever finish it. So, uh, here's what I wrote so far (raw cut, unedited):

Sins of a Stellar Developer

In which there will be a comparison of two games that probably should have been one, some reminiscing about games past and general ranting about stuff that works or doesn't work in strategy games.

Comparing Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations 2

On the face of it, the games have quite a few similarities. But once you get into them a bit, they're actually very different -- except of course that they're both games that revolve around conquering stuff using spaceships.

Sins actually reminds me a lot more of Homeworld 2 than it does of GalCiv2. Or, more accurately, it made me want to play Homeworld 2 again. But I get ahead of myself.

Let me first describe some of the really cool things about Sins.

First on the list is performance and by extension, graphics. Sins looks great, partly because they've really, really, really cut everything away that's not either a ship, an interface element or really important to making the game look good. In basic terms, there's the interface, the elements you can move, the stellar objects and the backdrop. Done.

What that means is you can throw thousands of ships into combat, zoom seamlessly and incredibly fast from super-close-up to looking at the entire galaxy at once and anywhere in between and have lots and lots of splash and zing and boom and bang effects all going on at once without ever noticing frame rate drops.

Another thing that is pretty cool is the resource management system. It's very basic and easy to grasp, and yet it is subtle and full of the kind of trade-offs that make for interesting and possibly balanced gaming.

In many ways, Sins is a very deliberate and effective 4X game, despite its real-time nature. The game really does scale to a completely massive size if that's your thing, and throwing huge armadas of great-looking spaceships at each other and watching the action can indeed provide for some great fun.

Unfortunately, it falls just short of its mark and ultimately was a bit of a let down, for me at least.

<That's how far I got. Sorry. If anybody really cares, I could probably be convinced to finish it. >
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast

Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence Klat is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post

Unfortunately, it falls just short of its mark and ultimately was a bit of a let down, for me at least.

<That's how far I got. Sorry. If anybody really cares, I could probably be convinced to finish it. >
Well- just tell me what you didn't like about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
It seems all of your posts are non-constructive, ill-conceived, bashings. One could argue that with your belief of time being pretty darn valuable, maybe you should go outside and build a fort or do some community service rather than waste it as you are now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenala View Post
Arkane, don't argue or fight with Klat. He's too awesome.
Also, he's sexier than you.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klat View Post
Well- just tell me what you didn't like about it.
Alright. In really short terms, it got old pretty fast because of lack of variation. You're pretty much forced into playing in a very specific fashion because of the way resource allocation and (especially) research works. And it is possible to rather easily get into a stale mate where two sides keep throwing troops at each other on a front for hours on end.

But the one thing that really bothered me about it, is that diplomacy is a joke. You can't really even call it diplomacy, because all it consists of is the AI offering you completely random tasks that you can either attempt to accomplish (which is often just not possible) or go to war.

And, like I was building up to in the original piece, the basic ship-to-ship combat is pretty neat... but Homeworld 2 was better, more involved and used the Z axis. I miss Homeworld 2.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Czarspeed has set foot on a distinguished road
Thanks for th einput, my friend has been trying to get me to play this and i think I am convinced now.

Check out the gear I have for sale!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community
OOO thanks for saving me from a costly mistake. Even if it seemd kind of basic I still liked the way diplomacy was handled in Masters of Orion II and have yet to find a replacement for that game as my all time favorite 4X game. Thanks for a great thread that helped me not drop any hard earned cash on this one though just for the eye candy and mass fleets it might end up as a buy when it hits the discount bin. Great insights everyone especially Bishop!

http://www.bardstavern.net
Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Tbh when I play vs AI I use the 'fixed teams' option and just ignore the diplomacy entirely. The pirates did piss me off until I realised they're a fantastic way to build cap ship xp by heavily defending your nearest planet to the pirate planet. I think I enjoyed HW2 combat more but the ship abilities in sins make it seem more skill based in some fights.

I like how the game hasn't been out that long and there's already mods out to alter stuff like the tech tree and strategy.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 AM

{Dark}Shadow117 has much to be proud of
I enjoy the game, I do agree the Diplomacy is lacking somethings, the fact that if you don't complete missions given by the AI they will eventually send fleets to turn you. It is annoying, the online play however for me never works, i try entering a game but it disconnects me from the server. Anyways, the game is good, but may not be worth the $40 I payed for. Never the less great game to spend hours of free time on.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
The demo finally came out a few days ago. Maybe I'll buy the real thing and challenge Bishop to a battle.