11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM

wendel110 is community member of note
no no, make a robot that serves iced tea and insults you at the same time.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Canthro has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Canthro
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the Best Buy in my area accepts old electronics and will even sometimes give you credit on a gift card for use in the store for your stuff.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
Big news concerning the topic came out a few days ago. Mail away your junk. http://www.usps.com/communications/n...8/pr08_028.htm
Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM

XyberDAWG is a jewel in the community XyberDAWG is a jewel in the community
Send a message via ICQ to XyberDAWG Send a message via AIM to XyberDAWG Send a message via MSN to XyberDAWG Send a message via Yahoo to XyberDAWG Send a message via Skype™ to XyberDAWG
In my area we have two computer shops. I know one of them "Vertigo Systems" will take all old electronics, if they work they buy it from you, if it doesn't they will take it off of you to recycle it if you no longer want it.

They buy everything from mice and keyboards, to the most obscure PC part.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
There's a few options.

My favorite is to break out a desoldering station, and turn the things into a bunch of semi-usable parts. Downsides are that it takes a lot of time, could be potentially dangerous (esp with a computer monitor or anything else with large caps in it), the leads are short on the components and it takes a ton of effort to get much out of it. That being said, I broke down a power supply from a computer case the other day and grabbed some nice big caps out of it, some transformers (junk mostly I think), a few large resistors, etc. I wanted to get the voltage regulators out of it, but even with my iron cranked to 900F, I wasn't able to get them out as the board was such a huge heatsink.

Another, potentially better option is to use FreeCycle (http://www.freecycle.org/). Freecycle is kinda like the free section of craigslist. People put up stuff that they no longer need, and a mailing/email list is sent out frequently. People then come and haul the stuff away. It keeps makers in the loop of having free stuff to make thing things with, and it gets rid of your junk. I like it. I have a 19" Dell CRT that I've gotta throw up on there later today.

The real downsides to putting stuff up on CL or FC, is that people don't show up and often you've got to wait for them. That isn't fun, but most electronics recycling centers charge you and arm and a leg for disposal.

It's really a shame that so few electronics are sold as 'green' these days and they won't recycle well. Apple is trying but there's still a bit of nasty stuff inside every computer.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 AM

cedgates has much to be proud of
Smile Trade in
Want to trade in with some used cars?..
Old 09-01-2012, 09:07 PM

iamraiden has much to be proud of
Unhappy
I could buy you scrap stuff, but I live in Brazil . Parts that I can plug in the breadboard interest me the most.

The problem in selling small components like resistors, capacitors is that a new one is so cheap that nobody will want to buy an old one while a new one doesn't even costs 10 cents (some companies even give away small components for free).

The most expensive components are too specialized to be used in other hardware that it is not very directly related to the component's application.