11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
remember to smash the fuck out of a hard disk before handing it in
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 PM

wendel110 is community member of note
fire... i like fire... pretty colors. *watches the hard drive burn after dumping gasoline on it*
Old 02-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Famous Member

Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence
I take it to my local Staples store. $10 per big item. I only take the stuff thats potentially hazardous. The store near me took a whole crapload but only charged me for the first half dozen monitors and cpus, which I doubt is normal procedure, but our local store kicks ass in multiple ways service wise.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

LadyBaaress is a cornerstone of the community LadyBaaress is a cornerstone of the community LadyBaaress is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaiika View Post
i leave them on random peoples doorsteps with posted notes saying "Johnny Five is alive, pls care for his baby"
That is freaking awesome!!! LMAO!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM

madrakaetrus has much to be proud of
Actually here in my city, we have a local third-party recycling company. They also run a thrift store where you can score some decent deals on older hardware.

A computer is still a computer, in the eyes of a poor man.
Former High Knight, United Legit Gaming Guilds

"Knowledge is double-edged...don't cut yourself!"
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Do you think someone could make a business out of picking up people's old computers for a free on Saturdays. Then break them down for parts and scrap. Build some new boxes from the good pieces, E-bay the parts, Craig's list the boxes , sell the scrap and maybe make a few hundred a month for the effort?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Yes. As long as you put in the description "Used" you ca sell any old crap on ebay. Monitors require the buyer to pic them up, hard disks have to be very well packaged, but its doable. I've seen people at the tipping area (For crap to big to go in the bin etc) and they actualy salvage screwed televisions for refurbishment or parts... its cheaper to spend a little effort and no cash to rip the guts out of an unwanted telly that to buy new parts, so pc stuff is no different.

When I take pc gear to the tip, I make sure its of no use to anyone by being a sadist to the equipment just before we throw it. I'd rather recyle the stuff, but as no-ones bothering to cater for that, i'll just break it an chuck it.

Hard disks get the thrathing of their lives (very theraputic), monitors get a hammer taken to the screens, and the connectors get smashed. Cards get the old 'lighter fuel' treament. The only bits we don't throw are processors and ram, some companies will recycle them for you (refurb for a few quid or return to manufacturers) but its only those two items.

Oh, tip for people throwing out wireless keyboards and mice (if you want to fuck with people). Clean them up so their almost new looking, remove both 'enter' keys and use a knife or drill to carefuly puncture the contact and board. Pour in something solvent based thats not got a strong smell, then replace the keys. For mice, undo the cases, and remove the balls rollers, break off the spinning wheels, and replace them (pour glue into the readers if you wish). When you go the the tip, leave them out in plain sight and with any driver disks they came with, and walk away. Some greedy bugger will think it his lucky day if its decent looking (resalable).