11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
The Obligatory "Favorite Game Night Story" Thread
That's right! Post the most epic, the most hillarious, the most made of win/fail true game night stories ya got here! Doesn't have to relate to just in-game! Anything that was made of awesome around the table that makes ya smile, or facepalm, feel free to share hear.

I'll kick off with a horror story:

Was running a large Shadowrun group back in High School. We had that one creepy guy, that's kinda like the trench coat dude in Grandma's Boy, who always showed up regardless of where we were or if anyone told him or not.

We decided to let him game with us, and oh man it hurt. Despite being a Japanese Elf in Seattle 2050, he had played with a crappy British Accent. Would put his shades on and slick his hair back in-character. Sounds cool, but really he came off kinda cheesy and we all wondered if this would delay us getting laid another 10 years just being near him.

Anyways, they get to the adventure, did some legwork and I explained the corp facility they were paid to break into had a police patrol every half hour. It's just a routine thing and they know as soon as the patrol leaves, they have 30 min to get in and out without raising suspicion.

Once it came time for action, they waited in a back alley, watching for the patrol. When it came up, and stopped at a red light, wonderboy has his elf leap out with an assault rifle, sliding his shades on screaming DIE PIGS! as he unloads his clip into the side of an armored patrol car.

As I watched the whole group moan and /facepalm, I provided them an easy escape while giving trench boy's elf a shower of auto fire. After killing off his character, I told him he could still hang out while we continued the adventure. He asked if we could "reset" and I said "Uh, no." He whined all night about how he felt an "extension" of him has died (it was his first night on that character, btw, and I played D&D with him before so I knew he wasn't noob to role playing). I finally sent him on a Mountain Dew run, and we all fled to another friend's apartment.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Shdown Run: European Manhunt Special
Almost 12 years ago now, but one of the best Shadowrun games I've ever played.

Had an ex-military sniper, turned merc runner, and he was pretty good at what he did. Add cybernetic eye's and reinforced skeleton, he was pretty good at dishing it out and taking it, without resorting to using heavy weapons. Paired off with a human soldier, an elf street samurai and an elf Shaman (with a fixation for shotguns)... we were quite a decent squad, all we needed was a decker to hack doors...

Sadly, no-one else wanted to play Shadowrun, so we had to find some way to open those hardened doors. The simple solution was to use a panther cannon, but that was too much equipment to haul around, so we came up with an ingenious solution. Take one 20th century single shot grenade launcher, have the barrel refitted to take one panther cannon round at a time, and reinforce the whole gun to take the strain. Course, I screwed the roll and spent four times what the job was worth, but it was worth it.

We had a job, a big one. Go to Sweden, break into a facility that had data that we had to get, take on three soft targets of opportunity (Steal some documents, kill the security chief and blow up the labs once we were done). We scoped out the place, and found we had a problem in the form of a Police Armed Response Unit less than ten minutes from the facility.

We broke in, assassinated the chief, stole the data and the documents, set the charges, and we were all set to get the hell out. We had just gotten out when we got stopped by a security patrol, corp security. That meant heavy weapons and a heavy vehicle, and we could only outrun one of those things in two turns. So we get into a shootout, that lasted all of ten seconds... I used the door opener and scored lucky enough to blow a hole in the fuel tank and destroying them instantly...

Course, now we'd made a big boom, and had to get the hell out of dodge, so we got into our stolen getaway car and did a runner. Got to our hideaway, switched vehicles (three bikes and a small camper wagon), hid the goods away on the wagon, and made out way west. And thats when it happened, a police patrol.

Matthew, our Shaman, got nervous. So nervous in fact that he had to take a role to make sure he didn't panic, and he screwed it up. he shot a copper, and ended up in a punch up with another. We all quick-draw and have to do our bit to speed this along, killing the rest of the roadblock crew. We cleared the wreckage, and got the wagon away with Matthews Elf and our Street Samurai, whilst the merc and soldier clean up any evidence linking this to us... I should have just blown all the vehicles up and quickly sped off, instead I hung around like an idiot, and got spotted by a nearby patrol unit. One shot by my modified cannon (Now nicknamed 'Peacemaker' by Matthew) and I was away with two more dead bodies to our names...

We got to the airfield to find out flight canceled and the police hunting us. We had to get the hell out of Sweden, into France itself where we could get another pickup. So, off we go, dodging police, and taking back roads. We split up, switched routes and avoided major towns and cites like they were plague pits. Three sessions of surviving on our wits (came up dry after 10 minutes) and skill (20 minutes) cunning (1 whole session) and pure luck (2 and a half sessions).

We had gotten to France whilst avoiding most people and any police, but it had been long and argumentative. They didn't know who we were, or what we looked like, just that we had a lot of hardware, most of it lethal. Sadly, the only one who could bluff for us was a Craig, who believed he had a bottomless pool of charm and charisma... only problem was he had no clue as to do any of this, so we ended up drawing attention to ourselves via him, and before we knew it, we had to run again.

We get to the French border, shake off pursuit, and hid away until we could come up with a plan (again). Only three of us were spotted, so Matthew could get through without being picked up... he goes through on the truck (with the data and documents), and we pack up his gear in our bikes storage bags. We have to do this the hard way, the airports are out, the ferry is a slow moving prison barge, all we got now is to either evacuate north and make for Germany, or make a break through the channel tunnel through all the security.

We all roll for it, easiest way to make a vote for something so stupid, odds you do, evens you don't. We all rolled 1... bad times ahead it seemed. We made a run for the tunnel, through the motorways, and straight for the security barrier. We were on the fastest bikes in the game, but we had to get through two heavy security wagons and several dozen police cars that barred our way, and so once again, I was up. I blew up one of the cars, sending it flying with a hi-explosive round, and we made a break for it, occasionally firing backwards at our pursuers as we sped down the tunnel. By the time we hit the border, I'd taken three bullets to the back, which were stopped only by crap rolls by the GM and my characters reinforced skeleton.

We hit the UK border, were 'Arrested' and freed by UK police in the pay of the corp we were hired by, met up with Matthew, and found out the extent of our crimes. Matthew was guilty of just 3 police deaths, and the deaths of 3 security personnel. Craig was a good boy, and only killed the security chief (he missed a total of thirty nine shots during the six sessions it took us to get to safety). David, our street samurai, was guilty of fifteen cop kills, and two security kills. Eighty seven police kills, and nineteen security kills were indeed mine, most of them where due to my policy of 'blow up the vehicle, slow the buggers down'.

Europe's number one murderer... just great. And then the bloody stupidest thing happened, we decided to take a plane out to the states. Why was this dumb, well we had to take a cargo plane because someone didn't want to leave his truck behind. During the flight, I hear the words that usually signal that I'm about to loose a character, from my fellow player Matthew.

"I want a sasparella." and within minutes our plane was hurtling towards the ground. I still have no idea what happened, I was taking a leek at the time, I just got back to everyone arguing and being told that Matt had gone postal over a drink and blew up the plane. That was the first time he did it, and over the years its been the battle cry for 'Your gonna die, yet again.'

I've never rolled so good since, never had a character last longer than 5 sessions either, and all to the tune of "I want a sasparella." Matthew on the other hand, always comes out smelling of roses, I doubt he's rolled more than one character per system run, and tends to retire them after two seasons of play. I made it a goal to have one of his characters killed off, and then he stopped playing (the git!)... I am hopeful for the future however, he's been getting the gaming itch again.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Oh man, that is classic!

I love it when gaming groups get their catchy one-liners.
I played in my brother's Hunter: The Reckoning campaign for a couple years; and oh man the fun we had in that game! We had a player who was running a Martyr character like Bruce Wayne: Rich boy with toys, and hurting him only made him more powerful. So our battle slogan for a while was simply "SPANK THE MARTYR!"

Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
We burned down half of London in Vampire with that cry. We walked into a bar, we asked for drinks, he asked for a sasparella, a bar fight ensued... 24 hours later we leave London as it burns around us, now members of the sabat, and trying to get away without being identified (and blood hunted).

And ofc, I had a new character, who died 3 sessions later when he tried trowing a grenade and botched the throw. Classic comedy however, kept the grenade, threw he pin.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Savant

Don't get me started on the Sabbat. My screen name is actually from my old Lasombra Pack Priest.

Long Live the Sword of the Caine.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

alomo has set foot on a distinguished road
I was running a DND game, the plot was the players were travelling down a road and a few villagers were to approach them asking them for help.

Me: as you are travelling down the path through the woods on your horses, you see two middle aged women walking on the side of the path, as they see you, their eyes widen and they begin to motion to you with their hands and say 'will you aid us?'

leader of the players: what?

me: ? will you aid us?

leader of the players: what??

me: will you help us?

leader of the players: ooooooh, 'aid us'

different adventure, but same group:

scenario was the players were to rescue a captured princess (yes, i know, how original). the princess was to be played as a 'spoiled brat.' during the course of bringing her back to her family, she was to inform them of a few details through casual conversation about her and her family. i honestly did not think i was going too overboard being the 'spoiled rich brat', after about 15 minutes after the rescue, one of the players goes:

I cast hold on her and slap her.

i was stunned by that. i was so taken back. being somewhat in character, i decided it would be best to have her go a bit in catatonic as never 'being put in her place like that', needless to say, i had to wing everything after that moment.

my other favorite moment would be the last one, again, same group, different adventure:

setup is that the players had gotten split up. they were being unlawfully charged with a crime. it was down to the last player, when they, the local townsfolk had performed a citizens arrest, they were going to get everyone together and take it from there. the adventure would move on to the next stage....right....

the last player was on a stage coach/horse drawn carriage type of transportation. he is about to cross a bridge when i describe to him about 15 townsfolk gathering on the otherside, some with pitchforks and other makeshift items. (it was a mostly rural community) he goes full gallop ahead. thumpa, thumpa, thumpa....needless to say, that adventure i had to wing as well.

ah, the fun fond memories. i am reminded so much of Knights of the Dinner Table.

from the standpoint of being a player, one of the more memorable moments would have been with the main person above DMing us. he got tired of us being the same classes/races, so he went about and created this adventure. he told us to be 'creative.' game night, unfortunately, two things happened: #1 the adventure was not finished, #2, i chose to play a pixie rogue. wait, before we get any further, let me also add that he wanted to this to be about mid level, so we were around 11 - 12th lvl. we rolled for random magic items. then, lastly, he had a 'table' that each one of us could choose one magic item. i had told him i was going to play a rogue, so he had some rogue type of item on the table that he thought i was going to take. i pulled a fast one on him, i chose the gauntlets of ogre power. so, you have flying around in this dungeon, this invisible rogue, (did i mention i could fly?) that had the strength of an ogre. now, another interesting tidbit of information regarding pixies is that they can have magical arrows that if their target fails a saving throw, they fall asleep. the first encounter was against modified dragon. i shoot one of my arrows at it. he thinks nothing of it. i then ask him about the saving throw, he looks at me. i show him the description of the arrows, his eyes narrow. he rolls, it fails, i jump up, raise my fist high in the air and go 'YES!' he is very upset at that and makes a judgement that from that point on, those arrows are no longer magical. there was a puzzle room that was a bit anticlimatic. at one point, there was a statue that had i manipulated somehow, and he told me i teleported down 6 inches, i go 'um, ok', i was still flying, just six inches lower. apparently, if i was not flying, i.e., on the ground, it would have gotten me stuck in the floor. the rest of the adventure pretty much went like that, us easily defeating, or going around what was in our way.

so, the moral of this story is, never tell your players to be 'creative' when coming up with races/classes.
Last edited by alomo : 06-11-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Savant

You know, I have ran adventures where the players are tasked with helping a baby dragon find its mommy, who was kidnapped by the selfish and mean Sorceress Princess.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Savant

Strangest thing Eiinskialdi ever put against us was the bezerker warrior chicken, Dorfu! He was a Malkavian vampire who had periodical bouts of memory loss and was convinced he was a Gangrel (who take on animalistic properties). He had feathers and claws (curtesy of a tzimisce) and was on a cursade to destroy KFC...

He was the result of random rolls on some charts we found, and once we had the basis of the character, we all chipped in to round out the character. Once completed, he was introduced into the game, and so began one of the more surreal games we've played.

Classic moment was a persuit of an NPC who had to be killed off (Bloodhunt). He found him, and he was getting away over open ground, we had maybe 3 turns to get to him before he hit cover again, and none of us had a gun with any ammo (barn, blind guy, .44 handguns, no hits - typical). My turn comes round, and I'm thinking fast, we need bulets or to something to throw... I had four dots in potence (vampire Str), and it hits me.

I tell a group mate to grab Dorfu, and between the pair of us (combined Potence of 8) managed to launch him through the air. We roled to hit, scored with 6 passes, and created a new weapon in the World of Darkness arsenal... Intercontinental Ballistic Chicken.

Dorfu lands perfectly, and tore the poor bugger to shreds on impact. It would have been fine if had ended there, but he had a taste for blood now, and we had to spend the night keeping a lunatic from blowing up every KFC in Manchester area (7 in total). Its stange when you have to pick up KFC brochures just to see if you can avoid being led into a 'No Dorfu, thats NOT a KFC, its a trick of the light. Yes, Sanders isn't really a colonel, its a conspirecy. I know, there really should a word 'poultryside'.

Worse thing than a creative player is a creative GM.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Savant

Warning: This post is kinda graphic and disturbing, but I figured while we were on the subject of Vampire: The Masquerade, it'd be fun to post.

Our ST had us start out with Humanity left in tact, and wanted us to "Fall from Grace" and role play us losing our Humanity and then getting on Paths of Enlightenment. Let me tell you, my long road before the Path of Night was brutal:

->"Sabbat Polo". 2 Motorcycles, 2 hockey sticks/baseball bats, and 1 shopping mall/arcade/movie complex on a Friday Night.

->Lasombra "weakness" is no reflection? Funny, robbing the ATM's without fear of the cameras catching me at all didn't seem weak. Also not being on camera while I horrifically tortured members of a Drug Cartel we were trying to overthrow to send them a really scary tape was worth it too.

->We wanted our Pack emblems tattoo'd on our necks. The Tzimisce we hit up said he'd do it for us if we stole a particular year and model of Hearse. In order to steal this Hearse, we decided to gank it from a nearby city, with (once again) my invisible to the camera stuff used for the actual theft. Meanwhile, my partners setup a distraction....by distraction I mean a flaming propane truck driven into a Children's hospital. THAT WAS A TOREADOR'S IDEA! We were proud we were rubbing off on her.

->We decided to start a "cult" that was inspired by Fight Club, the KMFDM album "Symbols" (the one with Megalomaniac on it) and Grand Theft Auto. You want salvation? Nothing sets you free like randomly stealing an expensive car and wrecking it all to hell. Slowly we acquired enough vehicles and drugs to form a small empire in the city. Unlife was good.

-> I had a great sub-story arc for my character, again involving the Lasombra lack of reflection. Being obsessed with Sisters of Mercy at the time, I ended up buying a 16 year old prostitute and named her Lucretia. I was trying to turn her into a monster, but she wouldn't let go. Everything ended with me taking her to a back alley, handing her a gun, and demanding she killed a hobo. She freaked and started running away. I chased, and pulled out my gun, and when I cornered her I told her she better fucking shoot me. She dropped the gun, crying, and I unloaded 2 rounds in her. Nevermind I forgot that bloodbond wouldn't probably let her harm me, but whatever my character was jacked on coke at the time.

Speaking of which, I got home to find out my other bloodbound servant would use Lucretia to steal from my stash. I unloaded the rest of the clip in him. We chopped the bodies up, drained what blood we could, and then went "shark fishing" at night.

Man, that was probably the only truly evil character I've ever played. It was awesome, one of the other players would end up Diablerizing me. The ST was pissed, because I let it happened and he loved my character.

Months later, we actually brought him back....but that's for another post.