11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 04-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Glass-Jaw has much to be proud of
Hrmm there are many reasons that guilds fail......mostly because of lack of people skills,power, or popularity. some of this requires luck..... although if you are a bastard that is basically shooting yourself in the foot
Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Famous Member

grinreapress has set foot on a distinguished road
hey all..Just gonna add my ten pence....what about officers..arent they supposed to help with answering questions....helping noobs and generally helping members in game...and support guild leader...and regarding noobs why not invite them into guild..they are ur future but have to agree about age restrictions..to many kids playing these days...my son is 13 and wants to play....nooooooooo...its mine.....

regards grin
Old 05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Famous Member

Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence
A lot depends on the style of the guild. This is a great guide for a family style guild in a more care bear, PvE environment. In PvP situations like Guildwars or whatnot I look for a whole different guild environment from the one I'm in for LOTRO.

In a more PvE setting I think this is an excellent guide, except I would agree, if you become the only answer guy, thats what your going to spend all your time doing once the guild grows past a certain point.

I'm quite willing to teach a man to fish, but he can get his own sticking fish dinner with a side of fries. And I sure as heck aint providing the drinks.

Last edited by Grimparrot : 05-01-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varria View Post

3) You must be the person who can answer all questions, and if you cant...you had better be able to get the answer. It is of MAJOR importance when you are a leader to be the one people know they can go to for answers.
I like ALL of these suggestions and that is how my husband and I run our guild. However point #3 is touchy with me.

We have realized over the years that we cannot, nor do we want to do or know everything. That is why we have entrusted officers to do many of these tasks for us.

It keeps things interesting and lively for everyone...plus gives people a feeling they really contribute.

Like I say to our officers...we are not always going to be the "Ships Entertainment Directors."

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Old 05-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass-Jaw View Post
Hrmm there are many reasons that guilds fail......mostly because of lack of people skills,power, or popularity. some of this requires luck..... although if you are a bastard that is basically shooting yourself in the foot
I don't think running a successful guild has anything to do with luck. I disagree with your point completely.

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeveAlleine View Post
I don't think running a successful guild has anything to do with luck. I disagree with your point completely.
Unless you start your guild with a large, active & capable member base (and even then it will still play a major role) - luck will be a major factor in the recruitment process. No amount of guidelines or planning is going to change that. Especially so for 'hardcore' PvP guilds.

Yeah planning will help seal the deal once people are interested, but you need luck to get the right people interested in your guild - particularly in games that don't offer forums (nor fan forums) for recruitment. Yeah planning and proper management will get you decent members - and yeah you can lead a good guild with decent members... but it'll never become a great guild without luck in the recruitment department. Luck is the make or break deal that distinguishes a great guild from a good guild.

I've never heard a guildleader say he/she managed to pick up so and so great players because of their management skills and months of planning. When it comes to recruitment, everything boils down to luck. Whether the people that apply to join your guild are great or decent is something that is always out of your control - even with strict recruitment guidelines.

So yeah - that doesn't necessarily mean your guild won't become successful without luck, after all decent players can still make a good and successful guild - even newbies can. It just depends on where you set your standards. If you're fine with a guild of decent players - then go ahead: call it successful. If your standards are higher, like mine, then luck does indeed play a big role in whether a guild will be 'successful' or not.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
The one thing that I would have to add is, Have a purpose for your guild. WHY was your guild created?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM

dragonrider104 has much to be proud of
As the Guildmaster of a WOW PVE realm guild I feel that the most important aspect of guild leadership is patience. Our guild is small but slowly growing and we have players of all levels. We try to group them with alts of like level so they get the most experience for the given situation. As a leader you must have the patience to deal with players of all skill levels or your guild is going to have problems either now or in the near future.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
LotD generally doesn't let people into the guild who have never played an MMORPG before. But after we've gotten established in a game, we have always been willing to recruit people from within a game (even if they were new to the game) and train them on our style of play. Or if everyone is new to a game, we'll stock up on new players and then train them how we best see fit.

Guilds that only recruit battle hardened veterans eventually run into personnel attrition, lose their effectivness, and then the guild either collapses or its impact on the game is compromised.
Motto: Killing With Style
Old 08-04-2007, 02:18 AM

pkMarionette has much to be proud of
While I both agree and disagree with the OP...I think a valid connection to make is, if you think about it, a guildleader is like the sole owner of a company. If you read business books and you understand the importance and necessity for both rules and for inter-company relations, you understand exactly what is needed to run a guild. Having 2 people work together everyday, when they hate each other, for example, hurts productivity and increases employee turnover (even if those two particular employees aren't being fired/quitting). Having too relaxed OR too strict of an atmosphere. Being too friendly or too distant. Lack of personal charisma. All these things only hurt a company - or a guild.

The things that are most important are ability to lead, and ability to listen. If you focus too much on leading, you will become too strict and distant...moral will dampen and the guild risks dying out. If you listen too much, you are not being a leader, and people will be reluctant to follow you or your rules. It is the balance and abundance of both of these, working in tandem, that make a truely excellent leader.