Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Tyen is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Tyen
I just bought it~
Old 12-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Downloading beta right now. Have to go play D&D tonight but I'm hoping to get at least one match in before then

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast

Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community
The implementation - both the theory behind the game and the programming are excellent this time.

The powers of each type of character are well designed, as well as the rts flow. It's weird but the game is faster, but more sophisticated at the same time.

The polish of the game is great - a full fledged tutorial, an intuitive character system, and even a karma system where you can give feedback to your team leader and other players (which in turn means you can get upgrades if you play well). There are loads of trackable stats and tournament ladders too.

Quite, quite good.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Hmm, as far as I could tell, it is too late to join the beta. But maybe I am mistaken?
'till you run out of cake.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
As sort of an update, I can report that I may be in the beta now. I'm not sure...

I remembered how much I liked the original, so I bought and paid for the game, and that appears to have given me full access to everything (except the beta forums), including downloading the beta client. So, that's just what I am doing... I'll report back on whether or not I can actually play or if I have to wait until launch.

Oh, btw, my user name for Savage is Bishop_Steele as plain "Bishop" was taken (mumble, mumble). Feel free to put me as referrer if you sign up.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Opinionated Gamer

Well...

Good news first: Yes, you can play in the beta already if you buy the game. Or maybe just sign up for a demo account, I never tried that.

The bad news is that the game is currently buggy as hell. At least for me.

I was unable to complete the tutorial because the bow zoom function refused to work. The practice mode doesn't actually let you practice much -- the skills are all without descriptions and the enemies do not move. And the game itself, well, you can see from the screenshot above how well I could play that. You can't see it, but I am actually standing in the middle of a base.

In other words, if this is close to what they're going to release, I'm beginning to regret my decision to purchase it outright. But to be fair, I have not yet sought solutions to my problems on forums or otherwise (although, for retail, I should not have to), and the game is still in beta and may very well improve. I'm too tired to try and file bug reports or dig for solutions tonight, maybe I'll have better news tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast

Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community Spetsnaz is a paragon of the community
ONLY THE TUTORIAL is buggy.

I felt the same way at first but once you jump in the real game...you'll get all the descriptions you'll ever want.

On the main menu...go to login...once you do...you'll get the server select...double click one with a low ping and join up.

When you get to the character select screen you have a choice of races...and when you select one...it shows and explains all their powers.

It's worth it. Trust me. The actual battles have no bugs whatsoever. Not bad for the beta of a program really.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
ARGH I apparently am on too old of a system for it! It keeps getting video and DirectX drivers on my end. Not saying it's the game's fault; I'm on an AMD 1.8 ghz atm with only a gig of RAM and my vid card is an ATI 9250 SE, so yeah. My time has passed. Maybe by the time my refund check and my next overhaul comes along, they'll iron some kinks out and I'll be on the battlefields with you guys.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Today, things were better when I tried the beta again. Obviously, a reboot or just the restarting of the game fixed most of the texture issues and I was able to play. There were still a few graphics glitches -- such as the charge indicator being a big red square instead of an icon -- but they were minor. And most of the skills had most of their description... but far from all. I also read on the forums that the bow issue I encountered in the tutorial was known and about to be fixed.

As far as the gameplay, I got my arse royally handed to me, but I'm sure that was because I was a noob. More review once I have played it some more.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hope everyone's having fun with Savage. I still am. Loving it..though I havent tried Commander mode yet. Has anyone else?