11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

Kabol is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to Kabol Send a message via Skype™ to Kabol
Eh, maybe both Roxi. I still enjoy D2, but I couldn't get into Titan Quest. Friend of mine had it on his lap top and let me give it a try, and I think it was fundamentally different, besides the obvious setting and plot differences. Tried various classes, and getting into the campaign, but nothing for me. *shrugs*

Last edited by Kabol : 01-17-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
I am sorry to say that I bored very quickly of this game. I am not sure why.
Some possible reasons:

1. No Deckard Caine. That's right. The characters and plot just seemed flat and hollow. Sure, Diablo 2's plot and characters were shallow, but they had charm and personality.

2. Nobody had ever done a roguelike game as well as Diablo 2 before. Not even anything close. So they had nuance going for them.

3. Despite the class system, which on a surface level appears to be more flexible and open than D2, there's actually very few real "builds" possible in TQ. In D2, there was a crazy number of viable builds, everything from more traditional spread-out builds, to sorceresses that did nothing but overpowered "Shock" spells to barbarians that did nothing but use "shout" abilities. It was a simple skill system that was at the same time deep and rich. Furthermore, TQ's system takes many many levels before your "build" really starts to come together...Which means you miss out on the quick-gratification of learning a new and unique skill as in D2.

4. Loot was more interesting and fun in D2. Sure, this is subjective, but I stand by it. Since a roguelike game is largely about the loot, this needed to be a top priority (but wasn't).

5. Too linear. TQ is mostly about hacking your way down linear paths, at least in the early chapters. D2 is about hacking your way through less constrained maps, giving you more of a sense of exploration and discovery.

6. No battle.net. Yeah, say what you want about the cultural clashes between East and West, the hacking, the rampant bugs, the obnoxious kids--still, battle.net is what helped make D2 what it was. It gave persistence to the item-collecting aspect that nearly made it an MMORPG-lite. TQ took the easy path: instanced, peer-to-peer sessions. Sorry, that's not even close to adequate.

7. In D2 you were constantly choosing different skills, switching around, performing sequences, etc. That made it dynamic and engaging. In TQ gameplay during battles is mostly about clicking the same button over and over, but not really changing skills.

I don't think TQ is a bad game--it's better than most. I certainly think there's still at one of room for more games in the action-RPG/roguelike genre.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 PM

Sierron has much to be proud of
I don't know. I played D2 for years, and years, and until Titan Quest came out, I was still playing it. In my opinion though, I think that Titan Quest has the same appeal that D2 used to have. I suppose it is mostly because I enjoy the mythology in it, but I find it quite a refreshing change from D2.

I just recently beat TQ on the normal difficulty level, after having it since it was released last year. I do though keep re-making my characters, because I haven't found which I like the best

I am not good at explaining things, or else I think I could explain better why I like TQ, and why I think that I will most likely be playing it as much as I ever did D2. I never did play on battle.net with D2, well, except for a time or two to play with a friend, but I never played with strangers, so TQ not having something similar is not a big deal to me. I think that TQ can only get better, and now that there is an expansion coming out soon, I think that it will, and I do have to admit, it is nice to not have to wait 2+ years for a TQ espansion, like we had to with Blizzard, and D2.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with both of you Tarinth and Sierron. I can identify with all of those points you made Tarinth with just the short time I played TQ, but I will admit one of the original points that drew me to it was the aspect of mythology. Like Tarinth said, it isn't a bad game, but I just wasn't looking for a clone of something at the time. I might pick it up later and feel differently about it.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:18 AM

There is one thing that I do not like about TQ, well, it is a problem that I have with a lot of games where you can create adventures and such for.

The tools that these games come with are just too difficult for a simple person to learn. Perhaps it's just that I don't sit down and take the time to really learn how to use them, and maybe if I did, i'd slap myself and say, Duh, now that's how you do it. I also guess I shouldn't say they are too difficult just because I can't sit down and just try to figure it out myself without reading anything.

I do know that most companies want to give us the tools they use for creating our own adventures, but sometimes I really wish they'd at least do something to dumb it down for those of us who are simple, and don't really understand all this difficult stuff.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Enthusiast

I agree. I often find myself wishing there was a tutorial I could go through to walk me through all the functions instead of trying to read a manual, and then apply it to something. I'm a very visual/hands-on oriented learner. Things usually aren't that difficult, I just don't make the right connection all the time if I can't see it, thus leading to me never figuring it out, and giving up because it takes too long.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Ackis has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via MSN to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis
I finally got it to work... and I to got bored of it very quickly. =/
Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 PM

dca5347 has much to be proud of
I liked this Game but it does bore ya quickly. But I think to anyone who has never played it ,it is worth a try
Burning Crusades
Guild Wars
Old 03-08-2007, 02:38 AM

I guess I just can't see why it would get boring. I guess it really has to do with if you have any interest in the mythology and such. I got the expansion this week, and so far am enjoying the new features, and even the new act that the expansion adds. I am especially glad that they added the ability of right clicking to switch weapons/armor when you find something better than what you currently have, as you can in most other games of the like.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 AM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierron View Post
I guess I just can't see why it would get boring. I guess it really has to do with if you have any interest in the mythology and such. I got the expansion this week, and so far am enjoying the new features, and even the new act that the expansion adds. I am especially glad that they added the ability of right clicking to switch weapons/armor when you find something better than what you currently have, as you can in most other games of the like.
Tell us a bit more about the expansion. What were the big things that it added?

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs