11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 10-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Mugglewump has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mugglewump
I've been a leader and officer for guilds in both Everquest and now Everquest 2 (both known as Order of the Open Hand) and the age thing really caters to the type of game/guild you are looking for.

Our guild has always been a casual/family-oriented one - and yet it has been comprised of folks mainly falling in the 30+ range. We recently had a number of younger folks, kids of current members, join up straight from the world of WoW and it was obvious right away that it wasn't a good fit. Our members are comfortable with each other - as mentioned are a bit older mainly - and tend to say and do things that might not translate well to the younger set.

Conversely, the younger set do/did A LOT of things that really got on the nerves of the older members, primarily in the realm of begging for gear and help on a constant basis. I get that it works well for them amoung their peers and in other game settings - but it didn't for us.

In the end, we enacted an 18+ rule for our membership and haven't looked back.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Virtuoso of ValorGuild Contest Award

Strider is community member of note
All the guild i have been in, in the past hasn't had an age limit. It gets tiresome when you get everything together and then at the last second their mother comes in and goes "time for bed." Then were back to square one. But most of the times i don't have a problem with underage people as long as they are cool and fun.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
test post - previously I had been unable to post in this forum
Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 PM

Killer Perfection has much to be proud of
:'( i miss the even minimum age limits dam :P im only 16 rawr :P
Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Virtuoso of ValorGuild Contest Award

Strider is community member of note
like killer cool and fun!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
Battle Tribe has a few younger brothers... I think it's ok as long as they contribute, listen to instruction well, and have respect for others. It's also a lot easier when another family member is present

Old 10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Devil's Advocate

Ravage is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Ravage
Age limits are a reasonable cutoff for those oh-so-busy GM's who don't have time between themselves and officers to really evaluate someone (i.e. play alongside them).

I'm not a huge fan of them, however.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I agree with age restrictions,being on a guild ran by 14 year olds before I found section 1 made me a true believer, but I also think that everyone is truly different and that limiting people by age can cut out a lot of fun cool players. So I guess I am on the fence only due to the fact that I have had more annoying 14 year olds who think swearing is the best thing next to breathing
Old 10-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Esis has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Esis Send a message via MSN to Esis
always a good topic!

Usually after an interview/screening I have a solid idea on the persons age, mostly by their demeanor.

I tend to lean towards the interview response rather than the age. While in recruiting I never had a specific age I said was off limits, I certainly had a number in my head which often eliminated people without them knowing it.

That being said, I've run into tons of exceptions--immature 20+ yr olds and a few mature younger ones. For those in question, I put on a probationary status. I remember a few people I thought weren't telling me their age, like they'd say "I'm 23"--so I'd ask questions about car insurance, their major in college, and career aspirations. A 15 year old probably can't answer that line of questioning.

So--I'd say age is a good baseline indicator, but if one has the time to really interview, I'd say there are some great picks for those under 18. Like Basboy for example...no wait, he's like 23...just behaves like a 10 year old!

Esis
Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Founding Member

Sevan has much to be proud of
It's easy for someone to lie about their age on the Internet. But, as Esis mentioned, you can get a general idea of their age through the interview process.

I was once interviewing someone who claimed to be a computer programmer, just finishing college. Unfortunately for him, he was talking to someone who has been programming since 1984.

Eventually he admitted he was 14 and was trying to impress us because he wanted to get in our clan. Honesty is a desirable virtue, but unfortunately it came a bit too late in the conversation for him.

Those kinds of experiences are why our clan always required interviews by 2 or more council members before being accepted.

Would you say that younger players have more of a tendency to tell, um, shall we call them, "tall tales"?

Last edited by Sevan : 10-30-2006 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added whitespace at the bottom of the post