11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Looking for a casual time sink...
Between projects I wind up twiddling my thumbs at work. I can't bring myself to actually playing anything on my laptop while I'm on the clock in terms of MMO's or anything else "video game" for that matter. I've been hunting around trying to find either a decent browser-based game, text/telnet game or heck even a decent play by post/email would be kinda fun right now. I want something detailed, but able to drop or minimize the window or walk away from for hours at a time and hop back into.

Anything that you guys would recommend? I used to play a lot of Legend of the Red Dragon back in the day; but would like something a little bit longer lasting

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Felladin has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Felladin Send a message via MSN to Felladin
ADOM. www.adom.de
http://www.remikz.com/2007/04/top-10...nse-games.html
Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 AM

InvictusPenguin has much to be proud of
One of the best ways I found of wasting time was by playing Materia Magica: http://www.materiamagica.com/

It's not a stock MUD at all, and it has a pretty good class and skill system, coupled with a pretty interesting world.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Adom was awesome; thanks for posting that link. Took me back and made me smile a lot.

Some other stuff I've been absorbed into during my free time as of late between the "big" games:

Someone pointed me to http://www.tribalwars.net
It took some startup, but once the ball was rolling I've found myself checking back often on my little village and I'm conspiring against neighbors already.

Also stumbled upon http://www.reigngame.com
Similar but more of a sci-fi military conquer strat game. This one is played in rounds and then reset; the current game ends tomorrow (the 7th) so if anyone thinks they'd like a strat game time sink they should check it out now to get the hang of it, then come back when it's clean slated

Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Savant

And I just checked out materiamagica; I'll tinker with it for a bit. Kinda chuckled they had screenshots for a mud, but it looks like a decent MUD.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:45 AM

Bagheera has set foot on a distinguished road
http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_49842

I highly recommend this.

Its not a MUD, but its not your average browser rpg either...

If you enjoyed LoRD, you'd probably find some entertaining facets of this as well.

It seems to have all the facets of a high-end graphical MMORPG, without the graphics or high character maintenance required. (seriously... 5 minutes every day or so is enough to keep up level-wise)

Its a little bit slow starting out, but if interactive fiction or muds are your kinda thing, give it a day or two and it may grow on you. (especially once you find an active group and gain your first level or two a few days later)
Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM

dead_chicken has much to be proud of
If you liked those games, you should adore these games...
The kingdom of Loathing
Twilight Heroes
Urbaniacs

Twilight Heroes and The Kingdom of Loathing are games which are browswer absed text games, where you have cool funny quests and adventures. KoL, however, is the one which has the most content. You need not worry if you don't login to play in about 3 days or so since your adventures get stored up, and the graphics are funny.

Urbaniacs is not your average Hero online game. It is based on mini games, etc.

HAve fun. Thanks.