11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 11-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Famous Member

Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_lazaro View Post
No prob. Hell I might be up for running something online during the Holidays if anyone's interested in a small 1 - shot
That sounds like fun. I'd have to go back and brush up on...whatever rule set you'd use

I don't think I could swing it during the holidays, though. I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks, which will probably vastly limit my play time.

But if there's enough interest for you to do this, please let me know. I'll try to work in enough time for it. If you might be interested in holding off until after the holidays, I will probably have more time.

Thanks for the offer to run it.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Heh, then don't upgrade the editions! The pic I posted above is for a free client that's already available, not designed for any one specific game (hell if you look closely they're playing Warhammer 40K on the screenshot....)

No where is it written that you can't continue playing with your current books. The beauty of PnP rpg's....
But I can't resist the new book smell!!!

True, but most groups you can find upgrade. I do not like the idea of "trees" at all. Of course, I wasn't completely sold on 3.0 until I played it either. It sounded like sacrilege to ditch THACO....cause who doesn't miss calculating that...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 PM

D_K_Head has much to be proud of
Hello, newb here. Was searching over the net for this old D&D stuff, looking for a group of regulars that play over the net, since i was sadly born after the "time" of tabletops, and no one near me will even think of touching somthing like it (strange people). anyway, i'm basicly looking for a group that can play D&D over the net, using VoIP or somthing similar.

Quote:
There's already a ton of chatrooms and programs out there that let people play PnP RPG's over the net. Hit me up if ya want some links.
if i osted this in the wrong area, feel free to spam me out of existance, or flame me until i begin to simmer. i don't mind. if you could post a link for a beginner interested in this though, i'd be very happy
Old 12-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Hey sorry for the delayed answer DK.

Here's a few links; I've already touched on a couple of these but what the heck:

http://www.openrpg.com/ Client program to connect to OpenRPG servers. IRC-style chatrooms with a system of posting character sheets, game info, using a "table top" for "miniatures" and of course, dice rolling. Community waxes and wanes; but there's almost always some D&D and other RPG's going on.

http://gametable.galactanet.com/

Probably my favorite program for its simplicity and use of "pog" style miniatures (it reminds me of the little pog-cappish markers D&D 3E examples used...which i dunno why I was a fan of).

Simple to use, free to use; have your friends download and connect to you and use a VoIP setup like TS or Vent and you're set.

If you have IRC, I recommend:

irc://magicstar.net/

Join channels #RPGNET or #RPGChat and you can find all sorts of people sitting around and discussing RPG's. The server itself has dice bots; if you wish to run a game using IRC this is the server I recommend.

Speaking of RPGNET....when looking for players you're going to need to hit up places where you can target a lot of interested gamers. Yeah there's a few here but I bet we all have different schedules and different types of games we want to play....if you want a sure-fire hitup, I HIGHLY recommend:

http://www.rpg.net

Regardless of which method you use to run your game, sign up for their forums. There's other gaming communities I recommend too....prowl around Google and Yahoo and I'm sure you can find some that match your styles and tastes for gaming. Usually you can find forums specifically for Looking for Groups for online "tabletop" play; just make a post about what you want to run and describe your game and settings and house rules a little bit. Also make sure to explain which program (if any) you're going to use so people know how to connect to where you're at on game night.

Just one last note (Wall of Text crits I know):
If you end up going with chatroom stuff over voice over IP in the end...a good thing I advise is for the necessary "flavor texts" (such as room descriptions and necessary scene descriptors) always pre-write them. It helps to copy and paste into chat so you can save time on typing, plus allowing you to go back and edit beforehand any typos and to ensure you conveyed the exact message you wanted to deliver.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Famous Member

Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence
Excellent post Rev. As always.

(couldn't give you post respect due to the limiter)
Old 12-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Eh no biggie I just like to help those who are new to an old hobbie such as this.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 PM

D_K_Head has much to be proud of
ok, thanks. i'll try out some of those. quick question though, is it nesecery to own any D&D gear to do it over the net?

and chances are i'll have to find an online group, because no one round here is even remotly interested in old stuff when there are new fangled games like wow avalible (urgh)
Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Savant

Man you'd be suprised how many people will still take Pen and Paper over WoW any day. Educate the next wave damn it! Remind them the best graphics are in our brains! I love online gaming as much as anyone here; but I also acknowledge that a lot of today's youth doesn't want to pretend; they just want to be force-fed graphical stimulation. It kills creativity to an extent.

As for the necessary D&D gear, I'd recommend at least owning a copy of the core 3 books: Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual.

If you're broke, but have at least had some experience with D&D, I can point you here:

http://www.d20srd.org/

The beauty of D&D 3E: OPEN SOURCE BABY!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast

Talen is a paragon of the community Talen is a paragon of the community Talen is a paragon of the community Talen is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Talen Send a message via Yahoo to Talen
I think I might get back into D&D now that 4E is out. Is it accessible for those returning to the game after leaving late in 2E's run?

Guild Wars IGN: Talen Pikunda
Symbol of Pain [FURY]: Leader
Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Famous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talen View Post
I think I might get back into D&D now that 4E is out. Is it accessible for those returning to the game after leaving late in 2E's run?
I'm hoping so. I'm planning on checking it out myself and the last time I actually played an entire campaign was 2E.