11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Amen to Half-Priced Books and Amazon.Com

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM

MatteKudesai has much to be proud of
I see that Wizards released a FR Campaign book for 4e. Is it to be the "official" 4e campaign, or was it just the first one they had ready to throw out to the market?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:34 AM

Threedevious has much to be proud of
So, have any of you actually played 4 yet? I got to play a demo at GenCon this year, but our group disintegrated a few years ago.

The demo was fun, but all of our characters were pre-gen'd so I'd like to get a chance to play with something I made in a group of open minded folks.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Skaboomatude has set foot on a distinguished road
I tried it at our Comicon this year. As a D&D fan and old pen and paper gamer - I was not overly impressed. It seems to revolve around minatures. Sometimes its nice for battle to have a marker just to keep track of where everyone is but I like to keep the table open. Oh your character can only move 5 squares - what when did dungeons get squares to move on, when did this become a board game? When I want a Pen and Paper game I will turn to D&D 3.5 or below if I want a game thats about getting abunch of tiny toys I'll get warhammer or hero clix. IMHO they sold out what D&D was about.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM

gilliland has much to be proud of
I've been playing 4 for a a few months now and I have to say that while it has its own features that I enjoy playing I yearn to go back to 3.5. Everything just seemed to flow together so much better in 3.5 with so many more options (though I suppose those will come with time) that it made the game so much fun.

I'll be sticking it out though, my group wants to try taking 4 to the higher levels and see what its like.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
I haven't acutally played much 4.0 yet. What I saw I wasn't impressed by. We kind of have a tear in out group. I person is ALL about 4.0, most of the group refuses to play it after trying it.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Threedevious has much to be proud of
So with fewer options (my husband seems to think there are more options, but he's a system junkie) do you feel that combat is more streamlined or does it still take a long time for people to decide what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliland View Post
I've been playing 4 for a a few months now and I have to say that while it has its own features that I enjoy playing I yearn to go back to 3.5. Everything just seemed to flow together so much better in 3.5 with so many more options (though I suppose those will come with time) that it made the game so much fun.

I'll be sticking it out though, my group wants to try taking 4 to the higher levels and see what its like.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
So I've decided to give 4.0 another shot, since I never gave it any real formal play through.

I have a couple reasons for some renewed interest in it. First off, I bought the damn book I might as well get some use out of it right?

For one thing, a lot of the positive aspects from the new game system seem to be true...I'm noticing lots of people who enjoyed RPG's but could never get into the AD&D/d20 rules are having a much easier time comprehending this system. As gimmicky as the idea of creating "Power Cards" are, it seems to help keep things moving as well as helping people keep track of what they're capable of, how their abilities work etc. It was a neat concept, and it works.

I'm still a big d20 nut; but to be fair I used to resent d20. It flooded the market (being the first "open sourced" rpg tabletop system), I used to think it treaded on lots of sacred cows (and then I realized some cows needed to be slaughtered!) and this morning I had a realization about the "video game" approach:

D&D 3E designed its covers in the same style as Baldur's Gates boxes. I used to mock that when it came out, saying they were only trying to cater to the PC gaming community. Look where I wound up >.>

Besides, I have a metric fark ton of Mage Knight miniatures that need to get some use.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 PM

KKouki has much to be proud of
While I haven't got hte chance to really immerse myself in 4E I did take at look at the new 4E Forgotten Realms and as a Realms fan, I have to say I was thoroughly upset. So many changes to Toril and an advance of a hundred years or so. No thanks, I like 3.5E Realms.

The collective D&D gamers I know have a love/hate for 4E. That's all I see about it recently. I don't really want to knock it before I try it however, I just won't try the Forgotten Realms version.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Savant

Yeah I did hear Forgotten Realms turned silly. Anything major aside from the time line jump that unsettled you specifically?