Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

View Poll Results: Hai there!
Bacon 4 66.67%
Bananas 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
Starting out in Warhammer 40K
Greetings! I have decided to pick up a miniature game. Well, I was already playing Star Wars Minis, what I want is something I paint/assemble, as well. After looking between Full Thrust and Warhammer 40K, I decided to go with the latter.

I have ordered Assault on Black Reach. What else do I need to do? Starting out tips would be great.

In advance, thanks!
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
I'd say give the Assault on Black Reach an honest spin, see if you really like either the Marines or the Orkz, and build on one of those. It appears you'll have a really good base army for both in that box set.

I'm not sure if the rulebook coming with it will have all the rules or a quickstart version.....in the original box sets I started with years ago it actually came with the complete book. But TBH, all the rules were on a double sided chart for quick referrence......

So, yeah I'd say:

1) Play the box set, see if the game is your cup of tea. This also includes assembling the minis and painting them up, since that's what the game is really about -- the craft and hobby.
2) See if either army actually works for you. I enjoyed Space Marines, so when I bought my old starter set I loved them and had a good start for building my army. If neither one is particularly exciting to you, research the other armies and ask around about their abilities. After playing the game, you'll be able to understand wtf fans are telling you about their favorite armies.

3)Whichever army you go with, I definitely recommend snagging a Codex for them, as well as do some research online about the different units. The hobby is expensive, but what games like WH40K have over games like Star Wars minis is that you can plan, save up and acquire the army you want instead of diving into dozens of boosters and assembling from you have.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
Thanks.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.