11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 PM

BattlePrincess has much to be proud of
Belladova, from JB circa 1998. I was feeling nostalgic and downloaded a DOS BOX with Hero's Quest and got to thinking about other things that were great and found myself lost confused and here. Miss the place and all the effort that was put into creating it ...

Too bad Muds where quite possibly the coolest old school social networking LOL!!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM

BattlePrincess has much to be proud of
If anyone finds a sweet mud let me know.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 PM

Kylotan has much to be proud of
Hey people, I was one of the imms on Jellybean for a few years, helping out with the coding and a little building. It's great to see some of the old names here! Maybe it's worth bringing the game back, for nostalgia's sake.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM

kobashii has much to be proud of
Whoa...good times. I used to play JB Mud. It's crazy that I still remember some of those names. I think I played as Arol, but I'm not too sure - it was such a long time ago. I must have been 8 or 9 years old...and I'm 21 now. I'm surprised people put up with me being so young and probably immature at times lol. I'm not too much of a gamer anymore, but I was bored and looked up some MUDs, and then I remembered Jellybean, searched, and ended up here. It's too bad it's down, but wow. Nice to see you all again.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 AM

orache has much to be proud of
I went by a number of different aliases on JB, old ones like Soron, or newer ones like Celestin. I once suffered from the disease of my fingers moving faster than my brain did, and got at least a few accounts banned and deleted. I eventually got my head on straight and remorted a few times with Celestin. I've seen this website a few times and finally decided to post something, last one out of me and my siblings to do so. I logged on last sometime in '06 I think, I was in Korea, not really supposed to be doing much at that time with muds, but I was bored and nostalgic like now.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Aurealchan has much to be proud of
Wow, Jellybean must've affected other people as much as it did me for this thread to be here, hanging around for a couple years. I played I for a while as Telora, started an immquest because it bothered me seeing newbies log on but not be able to get a newbie backpack because nobody was around, then came back to find that we'd suddenly switched to II. So I pulled a name from a Dragonlance book I was reading and started up a new character on II, Aureal. Eventually tried my hand at building an area, Math Land, because my math class was irritating me and I thought it'd be funny to be able to go to an area to kill stuff like the quadratic formula. Kind of embarassing now. I still have the .are files; here's a sample of how dumb that came off:

Quote:
product property~
the product property~
The product property demands that you know how to multiply logarithms.
~
The product property of logarithms stands here and tells you that a log
plus a log equals log base b times MN. Like you really needed to know that.
Just kill the blasted thing.
Hey, I was 15! (And man am I glad I don't need to know that stuff anymore.) Silliness aside, building an area did qualify me to become an imm-bunny, so I hung out like that for a year or so, building another area- London Town, before fading away to a new interest- Sailor Moon. And amusingly enough, I see that Chibichibi, whose name I had always thought to be rather ridiculous, has posted here. Now I know where your name came from!

Doesn't really seem like such a compelling tale, I know, but Jellybean's kind of stuck with me this whole time. I just had a dream where I dreamt of logging in to JB to see what was up. When I woke up I realized that I'm 28 now- that was half my life ago that I started playing. I still use the name Aureal that I casually picked for JBII for everything online when it hasn't been taken already (like here). It was rather staggering to realize it's been 13 years, nearly half my life, that I've been going by that name- it's as much a part of me as my legal name by now.

My area building kind of helped me see that I could program things- I went into computer programming in college, although I'm now a letter carrier since job hunting sucks, but I have still programmed a couple of things for simRTK, the forum-based strategy/RP game I help admin these days. And I've always kept a soft spot for jellybeans ever since. As I moved on from JB, I started roleplaying in a Sailor Moon-based online game, and made my character addicted to jellybeans, in memory of this game. And even when that faded away, I've used jellybeans as something of a running joke in conversations, and actually found myself liking jellybeans very much (I try to stock up every Easter).

Now I want to go open up a bag of jellybeans... it's only 10am though...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Emeleth has much to be proud of
Wow, neat! i played as Meme and Emeleth.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM

MegamiNekochan has much to be proud of
JB2
I was Misty and Sabrina on JB2! I do miss it and think back to it often. That was the only game that I found a community like that in to hang out with. I would LOVE to play again with old friends!
Last edited by MegamiNekochan : 11-30-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

DementedJ has much to be proud of
wow
sweet gods above. i rolled around as Jester back in the day, and a few other aliases that usually incorporated some form of that name.

i really can't express how warm inside i feel to know that y'all are still out there. JB2 was a really huge part of my early adolescence, and i still tell stories about the good times that were to be had with all the other bunnies.

if there's any kind of community outreach on this front, an attempt for all of us to form up under a banner (kingdom of loathing was mentioned?) then we should discuss it here. i'd love to see y'all in my virtual day-to-day once again.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Tamm01 has much to be proud of
Jellybean MUD!
Hi everyone - in a nostalgic moment I googled JB to see what would come up. Who knew! Amazing to see how many other people thought the same over the past few years - I was Tamm on Jellybean MUD, and I played through most of my life during middle school. Its amazing to recognize the names of people from so many years ago....Jellybean MUD was the best!! I miss those days of Reflexx's pop-quiz contests, trying to take down the crazy-hard monsters - and all the Quests, and even playing at being an immortal for a short time! Now I'm married and grown up, but looking back on it JBMud was some of the most fun I had in middle school - miss those days!