11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
The "Voting on favorites" debate
Ok, something that I occasionally wonder about here.. today I realized I'm not the only one who is wondering the same thing.

In the news/favorites, you have a feature to vote articles up and down.

The case has been made that this feature is NOT to vote the content of the article, but a social vote for the person posting and the quality of their ability to google interesting facts and/or read the internet and copy/paste links.

I have, and its obvious many others have voted articles up and down based on content. I was always curious as to why people got bent out of shape when their otherwise good news was voted down because the subject was just absurd (though written well, true and a good find).

So which is it? Is the voting system a popularity contest for the person posting or a way to grade and rate the content?

If it is for popularity, then can we have another voting mechanism to rate the actual content?

IE:

Something stupid Happened in China again today...
[10] People love joe for posting this article
[2] People think the opinion in the article sucks.

gaming news
Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 PM
GuildCafe Theme Designer

Zel is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Zel
I believe the point is to rate the content... keeping the content that's the most interesting/entertaining, or most relevent to guildcafe's community on top and making the favorites section a worthwhile spot to browse for information or leisure, even if you only do it at a glance.

Giving the favorites a double rating like you've suggested could help people do differentiate what they're rating the link for... but ideally I don't think we should have to include popularity with it. If someone was interested in seeing who was the most popular we have the fame system for that. Of course people probably vote up links by people they like anyway but that does defeat the purpose of the favorites section imo. This will hopefully be less of an issue as more and more people use favorites to rank content so no single person's reputation will be able to sway public opinion on the content so severly. clearly being famous here hasn't helped my own favorite submissions at least, and I don't mind in the least... I know I have wacky taste in what I find interesting or amusing =P.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Spaz

Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community
I don't think it should be a social vote, but I don't think most people use it that way anyway. I could be mistaken. The way I vote is more based on whether I think the news item is interesting or thought provoking or funny or well written. It doesn't matter to me who posted it, and it shouldn't matter.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurydice View Post
I don't think it should be a social vote, but I don't think most people use it that way anyway. I could be mistaken. The way I vote is more based on whether I think the news item is interesting or thought provoking or funny or well written. It doesn't matter to me who posted it, and it shouldn't matter.
web cam or it didn't happen.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
The point is to vote how good the content is. Its not supposed to be about popularity or even about the subject matter. Basically it supposed to be a vote about whether or not the material is worth viewing.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 AM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
The system is intended as a vote for the the quality, interesting-ness and opinion as to whether other people would enjoy the article/link in question.

We already aheve a separate system where you can share your admiration for the person in question: the "respect" feature on the poster's profile page would be the right place to let them know that you like them.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 AM

RabidCrab is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to RabidCrab Send a message via AIM to RabidCrab Send a message via MSN to RabidCrab Send a message via Yahoo to RabidCrab Send a message via Skype™ to RabidCrab
Personally, I vote on if I found it interesting or not. Most of the time I don't bother looking at who posted the article, and if I do read the name I forget it a few minutes afterwards
Old 09-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
Though there are times that the comment given by the poster is an actual giveaway that doesn't require anymore reading or watching...

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 AM
The Bishop's Wife

mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence mrssteele is bathed in a white light of excellence
I've always voted for the content of the article.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Ama-Ebi Send a message via MSN to Ama-Ebi
I like to either learn or be entertained by an article. A good article does either and gets a positive vote for that reason. I may or may not agree or like the content or even the person posting it.

If I want to complement a person, then I give them 'respect'. On that topic, I don't just hand out respect unless a person deserves it. I either know them from a game or enjoy their posts on this site.

Ama-Ebi Unagi Zahira Daja