11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 12-20-2006, 09:10 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
What is your favorite musical score from a game?
I have a few favorites...

Medal of Honor
Diablo
Max Payne
World of Warcraft
Empire Earth

feel free to post your favorites...

Old 12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
"Seaside Shanty" from Ultima IV+

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Shenmue, I still cry when I hear it.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 AM

Fester-Rotcrotch has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Fester-Rotcrotch
I have no particular favorite, but if a game doesn't have orchestrated music, then it's not worthy of my speakers and gets muted. It's rather unfortunate most games either lack orchestrated music, or they give a very poor effort at it. The only thing worse than no orchestra is a bad orchestra.

Humbly,

Fester
Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Sea Shanty was a bit of a joke--but in all seriousness, the early Ultima-series music soundtracks (today, they'd sound less interesting than most cellphone ringtones) were very innovative for their time. I can still hear the Ultima III and IV music in my head. Me and a friend used to know how to play a couple of the pieces on the piano.

Early LucasArts games were also very innovative with music, especially the the Tie-Fighter/X-Wing series that made good use of dynamic sound, capable of scoring dynamically based on the events in the game.

The game Starglider, on the Atari ST, was a vector-graphics shoot-em-up game that was the first game I ever encountered (this would be circa 1987) to feature digital sampling and vocals. So while the music itself wouldn't really impress anyone these days, it was amazing for the time and so I won't forget it.

More recently:

The Civilization IV title sequence comes to mind as one of the better soundtracks.

In the MMO space, Guild Wars (music by Jeremy Soule) has beautiful scoring. I don't think I've heard anything as good in any MMO.

And a couple more more not-quite-as-recent:

I also have fond memories of the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (the best console game ever created, in every respect--although I have yet to try the new Zelda yet, and look forward to it...)

The acoustic-guitar sequences in the opening maps of Diablo 2 are great for their elegance and simplicity, and if I heard the music again now it brings back a lot of memories of all the hours I spent loving that game.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 12-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Devil's Advocate

Ravage is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Ravage
"Forbidden Forest" and "Beyond the Forbidden Forest"...some of the best mood music for a game ever!

To go with some more modern ones, though...Diablo 2, WoW, and the Unreal Tournament series are all very good. I also love most of the music from Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 PM

Twilight Destiny has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Twilight Destiny Send a message via MSN to Twilight Destiny
I really like

"Land of the Golden Sun" - Guild Wars Nightfall
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM

Fedora has much to be proud of
Secret Weapons over Normandy. The game is cool, but the music is really what did it for me!

Formerly known as:

Mercke Lutso - Bloodfin
Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 PM

Fedora has much to be proud of
Also, incase you guys are interested....

http://www.buysoundtrax.com/buysoundtrax_catalog.html

I believe this place sells soundtracks to some games. SWON is on there, anyway =P

Formerly known as:

Mercke Lutso - Bloodfin
Old 12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Guild Wars. I like New Age music.