11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
New trends in FPS
FPS used to be all I'd play. I've played enough over the years to notice major trends like realism (dmg/aiming/ etc), class types, and spawnpoint capture, but I'm sure there is a lot I miss as not being the type that plays every decent FPS out there.

So my question is, what's going on with FPS these days and what specific innovations/features/implementations have you really liked? I'm just trying to see whats out there and what might be coming later.

I really like what realism has done to gameplay. Its interesting that crosshair control has evolved beyond just twitch control and has downplayed the wild shooting that doesn't seem to appeal to me anymore.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
I love huge battles and Voice com. When playing with your clan or friends, it's always a lot of fun. I don't take FPS games too seriously, sure I want to win, but if I have lot of fun losing, I don't mind. That and I like the fact some games use vehicles. Doesn't work for all games, but it certainly does for some. UT SUCKED ASS with vehicles (debatable), but I couldn't imagine Halo or Warhawk without 'm. Warhawk is a relatively new game for the PS3, I've only played it shortly but I watched it for a while, it's ridiculously awesome. Huge maps, huge battles. Decent learning curve, stable server (yes that surprised me).
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I thought about buying a PS3 sole for warhawk...

Realism can be taken to far, FPS are trying to find the line where realism and fun meet... FPS have moved even more towards blazing speed and extreme graphics. I see a slight downfall of FPS soon due to, the fact that there has been more attention to the realistic graphic instead of game play new features, has me worried and a move of FPSMMOs can frustrate the hardcore FPS fans. The positive thing about FPS are they are losing the social taboo they had for a long time right after the colorado school shootings gave them.

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Danmor is a jewel in the community Danmor is a jewel in the community
I have to admit, I prefere unrealistic aiming (hated the aiming in MoH Airborne).

I think one trend might be, interactive enviroments (think farcry, crysis, etc.). OK, nowadays "interactive" usually means "destructable". But perhaps Assassins Creed (yes, I know it's not a fps) will inspire some developers, with the way it allows you to maneuver your surroundings.

One other thing that might be on the horizon is co-op story play. Gears of War has a co-op mode, the latest R6 game has a nice co-op mode, Left 4 Dead and Army of 2 even have co-op play as their main focus. Also consoles might play an important part in this development.
Every Saturday, 19:00 - 22:00 GMT on
Booty Island Radio
Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
For the campaign/single player experience I for one prefer the realistic immersive feel of games like STALKER, it just enhances the entire game for me in some way. As for MP, I like realism at times, but sometimes I'd rather just blow some people up.

Lets see what else, you have vehicles. Gotta love vehicles. They just enhance the tactical feel and aslong as there are some maps wich are infantry only they really make the game a better game, if implemented correctly, that's probably the one thing that Halo did right btw, vehicles.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
yeah, didn't miss vehicles hitting the scene. And I agree halo's physics and controls for vehicles are great. Oh and Danmor, you're probably right about coop. I've really been waiting for a great coop game. Not just a game that features coop for the people who want to play coop, I'm talking about a game that makes coop players out of us. Right now it seems that goal hasn't been set or achieved.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
I guess I'm against the majority because I'm personally against realism. I play games as an escape and not as a simulation of life. I also love campy games...the more a game makes me laugh, the more fun I am having. Quake was my first FPS and the multiplayer mods were really campy. Valve had the right idea when they used a Pixar 'toon style for TF2.

I don't like how vehicles have taken over some games. I love playing "Quake Wars: Enemy Territory" because it doesn't allow vehicles to dictate the game.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
I guess I'm against the majority because I'm personally against realism. I play games as an escape and not as a simulation of life.
I play realistic shooters because I find jumping and strafing and shooting simultaneously to feel very tacky. I understand its necessary to maintain that twitch gameplay, but I just can't accept it now that realism hit the scene with its new FPS gameplay. Maybe they can put implement twitch in a different way? Soon I suppose.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Danmor is a jewel in the community Danmor is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
I guess I'm against the majority because I'm personally against realism. I play games as an escape and not as a simulation of life.
I don't like realism that much either. I've played Swat 4 a while back. It was extremly realistic in many ways, aiming, damage, disabling hostiles, etc. It was to much for me.
Recently I played R6 Vegas though and I love it. The cover system is a lot of fun and makes the fire fights very cool. I is not nearly as realistic as Swat 4 but it's also not an arcade game.
Every Saturday, 19:00 - 22:00 GMT on
Booty Island Radio
Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast

Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence
I think one of the main tendencies of FPS games in recent years has been a dramitcal switch from individual/tournament style games to more team oriented games like BF series and Counterstrike. As others also have pointed out, realism seems to be taking over the genre, where it previously was dominated by rocketjumping and tacky weapons, thus catering to a larger crowd.

As for future development, I think we are going to see the genre return to "oldschool" ingenuity, with a significant switch in weaponry from realism to the more fantastic and creative type of "campy" equipment. I think more games in spirit with "The Ship" and "Team Fortress 2" will hit the market in the coming years, though sci-fi shooters like "Crysis" and "Call of Duty 4" are still going to go strong.

And now over to lovely Heather who will give an update on the weather forecast - Give us the weather Heather!