11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
The Orange Box
The Orange Box! Developed by Valve, published by EA. I didn't see a topic yet, so I decided to open one. Yes, I accept fanmail.

The Orange Box... What is it? This Box is basically going to be one of Valve's latest products, but it is not featuring just one game... Instead it's offering you 5 games / expansions...

Without a doubt the most well known game in the bunch will be Half Life 2... It also comes with the 2 expansions Episode one and Episode Two. I guess they felt like putting them all in a nice shiny new box.

But that's not really what interests me...

Team Fortress 2
This game is what got my attention. I've never been that much of a CS / Half Life / Day of Defeat / Team Fortress fan. But this just looks brilliant. They've redone the whole artistic style of the game, now it looks like something straight out of a Pixar movie. A lot of the fans didn't like what they did with it. But I think think it's brilliant. Looks hilarious and like a lot of easy go lucky sort of fun. The trailers they've already released basically go even further into the ridiculous looking characters and fun the game is supposed to offer. Will be a lot of fun.

Portal
I'd never heard about it. But after seeing the trailer I basically knew that this box would be worth my money... Portal was originally thought of by a small group of devs, they contacted Valve and they took them in. Now there is Portal... Portal is an FPS, but that's not where the story ends. The gun your carrying doesn't fire bullets, but instead creates portals. You'll need your portals to make your way through levels. Actually FPS isn't correct... It's more of a first person puzzle game, you'll need your portals to reach the exit. Ah frack it, watch the trailer:

I find it a very peculiar title I'm certainly willing to give a shot.

The Box will cost the regular price of one game. I think it's the perfect opportunity for people to try Half Life 2 if they haven't yet. And then there's TF2, which I think is going to be a lot of fun. And there's the intriguing puzzle game Portal. Worth your money? I think that's a safe yes.

Any opinions?

Details:
Release Date: October 12th '07
Developer: Valve Software
Publisher: EA
Genre: FPS, action, puzzle
Platforms: PC, X360, PS3
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Can't wait for Episode 2, it's going to be epic =D
Old 09-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Spaz

Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community Eurydice is a paragon of the community
The Team Fortress 2 engineer trailer is the one that has me in stitches at the moment.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Lurker in Disguise

Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via ICQ to Syldra Send a message via AIM to Syldra Send a message via MSN to Syldra Send a message via Yahoo to Syldra
Portal seems... amusing.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Reality Escapist

LaiAhnaCharro is a jewel in the community LaiAhnaCharro is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to LaiAhnaCharro
Ok grabs her black panted stickered tube. Popps double bubble strawberry gum in her mouth to chew. Takes aim. PLOP! Sticky games now.

Interesting but not for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 AM

Stilblad has much to be proud of
I can honestly say that I have never played HL:2 but a friend recently tried it out so I was thinking of getting it but then I remembered that this pack is coming out soon and both Portals and TF2 look great.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
TF2 Beta on Monday for Steam preorders.

Is it Christmas already?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 AM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
TF2? I was a Team Fortress fanatic and Wow!!! the classes look good, though cartoony in design. What's with the scout and a baseball bat?

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 09-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Simmer

Holy Christmass can't wait to try out the orange box! Me wantie! Me wantie! The portal game is the mind trippy type That makes my hands twitch with delight. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

hahnsoo is a paragon of the community hahnsoo is a paragon of the community hahnsoo is a paragon of the community hahnsoo is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sirov View Post
TF2? I was a Team Fortress fanatic and Wow!!! the classes look good, though cartoony in design. What's with the scout and a baseball bat?
In the design interviews, the director of Valve says that the cartoony look is a big bonus, in that they can drastically change the silhouette of each class to look distinct, for instant recognition. The art direction does remind me of the Incredibles and other Pixar films. This does slightly change the role of the Spy (who used to mimic another class of the opposing side), but the new Spy "cloak" looks excellent and is far more functional. The Engineer interface looks great (a little PDA that you open). The Medic class has been revamped to be actually viable in combat.

As far as the baseball bat, it used to be in Team Fortress Classic that everyone had a Crowbar for a melee weapon (except for the Spy with a dagger, the Engineer with a Spanner, and the Medic with a Medkit). My guess is that they tried to give everyone a unique melee weapon (pure speculation on my part). Soldiers get a Shovel (a nice "All Quiet on the Western Front" reference), the Scouts get a baseball bat.