11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
PoxNora
So, anybody on GuildCafe play PoxNora?

For those of you who don't know it, it is an online Java-based strategy game. Think "Magic the Gathering: the Board Game", to get an idea of how it works. You make a battlegroup (deck) from your runes (cards) and then you play against one opponent who is using his battlegroup (deck).

And almost exactly like MtGO, you can play the game for free, using one of a set of pre-built decks -- I mean battlegroups -- but if you want the "whole game" you have to invest in virtual booster packs (booster packs are booster packs, I guess) and/or pay for a "premium account".

I've only played a few trial games myself, haven't wanted to get involved in spending money on virtual goods. Especially since I have no idea how much I'll eventually have to fork over to have anything resembling a competitive deck -- I mean battlegroup. That's my main problem with MtGO, too. One has to let go of basically oceans of dough to get a decent collection going there... and I feel pretty robbed when the price for virtual, un-resellable* goods are the same as they are for real cards (or runes, as it were) that you can touch and feel and put in shoe-boxes.

Anyway, back to my question: Anyone play PoxNora? Have you bought a real set of cards -- I mean runes? How much do you need to play semi-competitively? And, more than anything, is it worth it?

*: Unless you want to try your hand at getting scammed via PayPal. That's always fun.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 AM

angeliza has set foot on a distinguished road
LOOKS nice . . .i'll try this one since i am playing different broweser base game
Old 01-01-2009, 05:09 AM

ethereal-wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
pox nora is fun, for a while. until you come upon someone who has spent loads of money to build an optimized deck. some of the combos are very imbalanced. so in the end, its very much like Magic or any other TCG, you have to spend a fair amount of money to be highly competitive.