11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 12-20-2006, 11:33 AM

Fester-Rotcrotch has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Fester-Rotcrotch
Heroes of Might and Magic
Does there happen to be any other, "Heroes of Might and Magic", fans out there? I find anymore that most people don't have a clue what the game is, which is rather depressing.

I'm also curious which, if any of you should happen to be fans, of the series pleased you most.

I found myself favoring 3 the most. I was somewhat disappointed when I found 5 less than appealing. It's definately improved a lot over the others mechanics wise, but I simply can't stand the 3D look they gave it. Abhorring is all I can say.

Humbly,

Fester
Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 PM

unbeliever has set foot on a distinguished road
Huge HoMM fan here, though I got burnt badly on IV with the multiplayer patch not coming out till the first expansion. Considering I rearly play more then a single map or two single player (they bloody well take 8-10 hours to complete!), it irked me not being able to actually play the game, but the time multiplayer support came, I had moved on to other games.

I really liked V, it was sped up in terms of multiplayer and I'm a huge fan of the lead artist.

Nostalgia would have me say I was the best, can't count the number of night mates and I stayed up all night in our boarding house hotseating it. But in terms of gameplay, I'd go with III.

HoMM is definitly one of those games that you either love or hate, there is no middle ground imo.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Yep, I''m a big fan of it. Great game with a fairly good amount of strategic and tactical depth. I love the merger of character-development along with the turn-based strategy aspect.

The multiplayer has never really quite worked, unfortunately--either because of bugs, or due to the slooooooow turn progression when playing with other people, you almost never complete an MP game. But the single-player game alone is worth it by far.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

alomo has set foot on a distinguished road
HOMM 3 is great. I have it, and played rather recently. I tried HOMM 5, but it just seemed like it was missing something. Never really tried MP with it. I think it would just take too long.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:50 AM

I don't do much MP, I generally play solo--occasionally I'll hotseat with a relative or a friend. I can imagine how it would annoy someone waiting for 7 other people to take their turns, it can be a slow game at times.

I wasn't all that fond of HoMM 4 either, it was mostly the way the races--if you will--were set up, forcing you to choose one path or another creature wise. Nature for example, I absolutely love the phoenix creatures, but I find that the dragons tend to be a more tactful option, so I don't often get to engage the field with the fiery birds. One thing I liked, though, was the ability to actually control your heroes, and have multiple in a given army.

Humbly,

Fester
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Metaxer has much to be proud of
i was playing in all HMMs 1>2>3>4>5 =)
3rd is the best
Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 PM

Yes, I went back and played a little of all of them over the last day or two; 3 is still my absolute favorite. I just like the way the races are set up best on 3, and I like the smoother look it has to it.

I suppose if I had to pick a best when it comes to mechanics and a worst overall, 5 would be the best mechanics wise, and 4 would be the absolute worst of the series.

Humbly,

Fester
Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Ackis has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via MSN to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis
I just picked up 5... kinda disappointed with it for some reason. /shrug

I missed 4 completely, but I remember plyaing 3 and really enjoying it.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 AM

Chuglur has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Chuglur
I remember HOMM 3 best as it was the only one I really liked. It was the first one I got into. How can you not remember a game where you amassed 10000 skeletons as the necro faction?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 AM

Yes, 3 is definately the most memorable. The first match I played I was Tower, it was one of the XL maps, 7 opponents. I think it took me about three days to complete it, the match finally ended when I managed to trap the last opponent in a lone fortress. I had to send two massive armies against the fortress to claim it and finally destroy the opposition. I love the genies the most out of all of the Tower units, and made sure they had the final taste of blood that map.

Good times.

Humbly,
Fester